PDA

View Full Version : My introduction

Dia
20-07-05, 00:40
This is my first post here, I'm so glad to have found an active forum, as my panic has come back with a vengence.

I spent all of my twenties in a constant state of anxiety, just knowing I was about to drop dead at any moment. I went in and out of agoraphobia, daily panic attacks, generalized anxiety and after a couple of years of "therapy", I have only a few attacks in the last two years.

As for the rest of my life, mom of two and getting ready to enter college this August....
My college is right next door to a MAJOR chemical plant. When I say right next door, I'm talking 300 yards---that's pretty close. I have become convinced that I am going to be a victim of a chemical leak while at school and that I am living my last days.

I am unable to sleep at night and now I'm crying all day. I can't stop thinking about this. I'm putting my belongings in order to make it easier to sort through them when I'm gone. I am consumed with the belief that I am going to die at school this fall.

So now, I'm afraid of going to school. Terrified, is more like it. So that's what's bothering me now. I no longer have my "out of the blue" panic attacks, but now I'm cursed with this "premonition" of my death while trying to better my education. I would like to know if anyone else has to deal with this sort of thing, or just KNOWN they would die while at a certain location.

Thanks for listening, I don't have insurance any more so this is as close to therapy as I can get.
Dia

Karen
20-07-05, 07:10
Hi Dia

Welcome to the forum and I hope we can help you through this.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

pinkscrumpy
20-07-05, 07:59
Hi Dia

Welcome aboard

MANDIE XX

Peru83
20-07-05, 08:30
welcome

I personaly don't go through what you are going through but you have definatly come to the right place:D.

Claire

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!"

lainey
20-07-05, 09:10
Hi Dia

Welcome to the site.
You've come to the right place, you'll get loads of help and support here.

Take care

Elaine x

Piglet
20-07-05, 09:32
Hi Dia,

Welcome to the site.

I think this fear you have is very common in anxiety sufferers. It's that horrible sensation of foreboding and we all focus it on something don't we. Yours is obviously the college/chemical plant but it could just as easily be somewhere else or like a situation.

I think it could be cos you maybe feeling a little nervous about starting the course (perhaps you could change that perception and see it as excitement - a Paul McKenna idea).

Bet once you get started you'll feel lots better and the feeling will go.

Love Piglet:D

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

mirry
20-07-05, 10:03
Hi, I am a new member too.
I know the feelings you describe as I also have terrible anxiety about death related issues.Someone said to me recently what is it you are actually afraid of ? is it the death itself?
After some thought I decided it was the "not knowing" what will happen. I think we have very Imaginitive minds and should try to put this talent to better use, I find creative hobbies can sometimes help ( i make beaded jewellery ) and when i feel my worry head coming on I decide i am going to create a new design jewellery.
I think once you get to your new school you will be alot calmer than you "imagined" they wouldnt put a chemicle plant next to a school unless it was very very safe after all.
Someone mentioned Paul Mckenna, I have his supreme self confidence CD and it is fab! really takes your mind off things.
I wish you well

mirryx

seh1980
20-07-05, 10:11
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

Meg
20-07-05, 14:28
Dia,

You've got a locked in thought process and its hard to shift..

You need to write it all down - whatever comes out .. then summarize it so you gte to the nitty gritty of it all , then out needs to suface your rational head and really debate it out with yourself..

Your equivilant of this :

The Battle that Rages in my Head (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149)

You do have a belief to shift ..

**just knowing I was about to drop dead at any moment**

You were very wrong before and in all likelyhood you are very wrong again in this belief.

Don't be afraid to use all methods of challenging this belief - Ring the chemical plant and ask the media/ press/ customer services for their safety report, their plans incase of a leak etec It will all be there in print somewhere.

What happened between registering for college and now that started this off ??

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

MardyBum
20-07-05, 16:49
Like its been said we all have a fear of something that just happens to be yours, as you have said you have managed to get your attacks down in the past so look on the possitive side you can do it again.

please keep smiling and we are all here to chat

xx Lesley xx

jill
20-07-05, 18:33
Hi Dia

WELCOME TO THE SITE

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

Dia
20-07-05, 22:27
Thank you for the welcome, and the suggestions. I will be seeing you later!
Dia

sal
20-07-05, 23:37
Hi Dia

Welcome to the forum.

We are all here and understand how hard it is and how you feel and will offer you all the support you need.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.