PDA

View Full Version : Gonna be a tough day - any suggestions PLEASE!!

shortstuff
20-02-09, 09:02
I'm having a new combi boiler fitted today which is going to mean there's someone in the house moving around (small house and I find this REALLY hard) AND there's going to be noise which is one of my biggest known triggers!!!

I braved the corner shop an hour ago but felt trapped - result= have already had one PA this morning. I live on my own, miles away from family so I can't get anyone to sit in for me (not that I'd be able to go anywhere anyway!)

This seems really stupid, I know, but I really am freaking out already and the guy hasn't even arrived yet :ohmy:

Tankerton
20-02-09, 09:28
Hi

Try and think of the benifits of having the work done, try to see it as a positive step. When the workman have gone you will feel so much better that you was able to let them in to complete the work.

I know it must be hard for you, but just try to look at all the positive aspects, dont give the negative thoughts any time.

Good luck

Joe

MissMac
20-02-09, 09:36
First of all, it doesn't seem stupid at all -- at least not to anyone who's had a panic attack. Sounds normal to me :)

Is there an area you can go to (a distant room or even just outside the front door) where you can get away from the noise and sip some herbal tea or chat on the phone? I stay on the phone a lot when workers are here. Maybe even stay online and use the chat room to help distract you?

I'm sure it will go well. Good luck!

PHOBIA MAN
20-02-09, 09:49
I hear you, but I'm cerain this guy will be really nice, plumbers tend to be! (theres 2 in my family) could you put on your fave music and tell him you'll be in the bedroom and to give you a call if he needs to talk to you?
Remember to deep breathe if you feel anxious also help to 'sigh' on the out breathe, in through nose, out through mouth "AAAHHH!" its natures calmer downer!
talk to the guy and tell him you are anxious about what's going to happen and the noises may upset you, He'll understand if you talk to him about it! maybe ask him to give you a 'heads up' when he's going to drill etc he will probably reasure you on many things. see yourself at 4.30 waving him goodbye, thinking "that was easier than i thought"
plumbers are used to MUCH more than you being frettful, he's human, talk to him!

bluesparkle
20-02-09, 10:39
hello
this is nt silly or stupid and something alot of us find hard to cope with.
i have recently had a new boiler and other work done and was in a right state waiting, remember the anticipation is often far worse than the reality.
i didnt know what to do etc and like you say the constant noise does not help.
i put my computer on and worked on there for most of the time, why not go into chat and we will keep you company,
remember it wont be for too long and it will be worth it afterwards.
thinking of you
rach
x

shortstuff
20-02-09, 10:40
Well, I look like Shrek's offspring with green ear plugs sticking out of my lugs!! He's here and getting on with it, I'm not brilliant, but not as bad as I was (might have something to do with the beta blockers!)

The hyperacussis is the worst part - not only have I got the hammering to contend with but my front door is open with a drainage pipe fed through it - the noise of the traffic on the main road is probably the worst of it. The ear plugs only block out so much - but this is noisy!!!!!!

shortstuff
20-02-09, 16:30
A few bad wobbles later and the plumber has left for the day. I survived. Thanks for your support folks :)

bluesparkle
21-02-09, 08:59
well done. . . :yesyes:
i know its not easy but you survived it.
is he due back?
rach
x

shortstuff
21-02-09, 19:26
He came back to fit the timer just before lunch today, but he wasn't here for long.

I've had 3 weeks panic free and with really low anxiety - the best I've been in months! With the panic attack yesterday morning and then a day of triggers, it all seemed worse than usual. After a good phase I secretly hope that its all over and I'm back to post panic days - so the reality is always more difficult to cope with.

I got through it though, and that's the main thing. There may be another 3 good weeks just around the corner :)

bishops
22-02-09, 13:16
Hi nothing is stupid with PA i get them going through speed cameras because ive 6pts im so afraid of loosing my job its starts off a PA even when im not doing annything wrong...now you can call that stupid. You done great :yesyes:

ang1
22-02-09, 13:41
Hi there
Just remember to come out of yourself and try and enjoy what you see around you. See it all as a fun challenge.

shortstuff
22-02-09, 14:11
I'm feeling really positive again today, it feels as though Friday was a blip not a relapse. I'm back at work tomorrow after the half term break and don't feel half as bad as an average Sunday afternoon.

Thanks again everyone.

xx