PDA

View Full Version : scared - cough - head pain

june
21-02-09, 14:47
I have been reading posts for hours trying to find something similar - no luck:weep:
So I am asking - "has anyone had a really bad tickly cough, that comes in big spurts - and when you cough it feels as if your brain is being bounced off your skull on the inside"
Really quite painful - no docs open till mon so hope you can help?
june

Maybe_Baby
21-02-09, 15:08
Hi June,
I have recently had a viral infection, which consisted of a sore throat, swollen glands in the neck & armpits, shooting pains in the right side of my head, a dry cough and full body aches.
My cough seemed to get worse on a night, but i can relate it kind of to what you have described. Every time i coughed i felt as if i had burst something inside my head.
Have you tried a cough bottle?
Or maybe you could try calling NHS direct?

Try not to worry to much.. Take care :) xx

mick_uk
21-02-09, 15:08
Hiya june,
There's a lot of coughs around at the moment. It's probably just pressure on your head caused by the coughing fits. Some people get it there others find the coughing hurts their chest.
Have you got any cough medicine? There's some especially for tickly coughs. Might just soothe it until you can get to see your doc on monday.
hope you feel better soon

mick

june
21-02-09, 15:21
Thank you so much for your replies:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
You know what i mean when i say "i am relieved that some one else has had this symptom:blush: " I wouldn't wish it on anyone:weep:
I have tried a cough linctus that the chemist recommended but it made me sick:blush:
I do not know if it was the linctus or just my reaction to it:blush:
I am one of those silly people that are afraid of any new meds or any new symptom:blush: (my own worst enemy)
Sorry to hear that you both had such a rough time with coughs and colds.
I suffer with such awful PA / anxiety but rarely a cold so it has scared the wits out of me.
Thank you for your help i will relax a bit now it is not as serious as i feared:blush:
Best wishes
June
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

countrygirl
21-02-09, 19:18
My husband has had a bad cough - I had it too over xmas - i got the pains in the chest but he got the head pains. he said he felt as if he needed to hold the top of his head down when he coughed as he thought it would lift off:)

I have had this as well in the past together with pulled abdominal muscles and I remember one time I didn't have enough hands to hold the three areas that were agony when I coughed:wacko: - top of my head - ribs on one side and groin on other.

It will get better honest

JnJs_mom
21-02-09, 21:58
Sounds like a cold to me. If your sinuses are are full they can hurt. You may also get an earache like I do when I get good and sick. I think it was an ear infection once but the others were just colds putting pressure on my ears. I figured I had an ear infection when I could not hear well then fluid started draining out of my ears that night. I went to the doctor that monday and sure enough I had ear infections in both ears and the one leaking fluid had ruptured. It took forever to get my hearing back right. It felt like my ears were full of cotton.

june
22-02-09, 11:15
My husband has had a bad cough - I had it too over xmas - i got the pains in the chest but he got the head pains. he said he felt as if he needed to hold the top of his head down when he coughed as he thought it would lift off:)

I have had this as well in the past together with pulled abdominal muscles and I remember one time I didn't have enough hands to hold the three areas that were agony when I coughed:wacko: - top of my head - ribs on one side and groin on other.

It will get better honest
This sounds just about where i am :blush: - I can not remember the last time i had a cold / cough and with PAs and health anxiety my nerves were through the roof.
I calmed down a bit last night after reading posts from Mick and Maybe.
Sometimes just a kind word goes a long way:hugs: I have also bought a book on "Health Anxiety" from NMP book shop, so I have also been going through that as a distraction this morning - it is very good:yesyes:
Thank you all for your help
Best wishes
june

HarryLime
03-04-09, 21:57
I've got a really bad tickly cough at the moment. Started about a week ago. A couple of times I thought it had gone, but it keeps coming back like a bad penny.

Assistant at the chemist told me they're selling lots of cough medicine at the moment.

I've tried Vicks cough lozenges, which seemed to help. As they should for £5.24 for a pack of 12.

It's years since I last had a cough bad enough to make me go to the doc, but I remember he recommended Pavacol-D. Got some in the cupboard, but the expiry date is 2003 - which shows how rarely I suffer.

Going to get some Pavacol tomorrow. Don't know how long to put up with a cough for before going to the doc. My constant throat-clearing and (it has to be said) very weedy coughing must be annoying my work colleagues.

At least (touch wood) it seems to disappear at night.

Andy