PDA

View Full Version : Health anxiety brought on by sinusitis

nikkinoo
21-02-09, 21:58
Hi all,
I wonder if anyone has had sinusitis badly where their nasal passages were constantly blocked up? I have had this on and off since Christmas following the flu and have had several nosebleeds, but was totally freaked out when I coughed up some bloody mucus for a couple of days last week. Sorry to be so graphic! I have been to the Doctors twice. The first time he gave me antibiotics and the second time he assured me I was ok and did not need any more pills or potions and it would eventually clear up. I should have been reassured by this, but have been on panic alert all week with every cough and sneeze. Totally living in fear of it happening again! I have been constantly googling symptoms and have become obsessed. It has taken over all my thoughts this week and I am making things miserable for everyone in the family. I feel so guilty that I am being so selfish and focusing on myself so much, but I cannot seem to break the habit at the moment. I have never experienced Health anxiety before now, I have just had fear of crowded places of which I have almost recovered from due to hypnotherapy! I just feel that all the positive things I have achieved have been lost to this new obsession. Any help would be gratefully apreciated.
Nikki. x

countrygirl
21-02-09, 22:36
I can totally understand your fears - anything with blood is very scary. Your Dr is right sinuses usually clear up themselves given time especially asyou have already had antibiotics.

both my husband and myself have had weird colds recently that made us completely bung up - that lasted about 6 days then when the sinuses began to clear it was disgusting - talk about don't blowyour nose in public. Plus we both had bleeding with it as well as the multicolour:blush: I thought I was okay but for a week my upper gums hurt when I walked ( how weird is that) and then suddenly one day my sinuses decided to clear the nasty stuff tht I didn't even know was there and it ws sooooo disgusting that I am so glad I was at home alone. The painful gums went but it was freaky. So I think ther is a particularly nasty sinus cold on the loose.

Give it a couple of weeks - if you get loads of face or gum pain and lots of yuk and blood then go back as you may need more antibiotics.

kate
22-02-09, 07:51
I also had a horrible virus which then went into sinusitis. I too had anti b's which helped but I literally had a bunged up nose for about 2 months.

It did gradually start improving but I was truly doubting that it ever would.

Kate

belladonna
22-02-09, 09:47
Same here, Nikki and felt so ill with it as well as panicky and short of breath (obviously !) Not nice. Breathing in Vicks vapours helped (melted in a bowl of hot water) but it did just clear on it's own eventually. How you feeling now ? x

nikkinoo
22-02-09, 17:52
Dear All,
Many thanks for your sympathetic replies. I am so sorry to hear that you have all had this too as it is really nasty. It was mainly the "blood" that was upsetting me so much as I have a great fear of this. I know I am being selfish by focusing on myself so much, especailly when ther are others far worse off than me and I feel really guilty about this, but i just cannot seem to control my anxiety levels where blood is concerned. I think this fear all stems from loosing a baby late on in pregnanacy 3 years ago, as I have only had anxiety since then.
Thank you all once again!
Kindest regrds Nikki. :-) x

mick_uk
22-02-09, 17:58
Nothing wrong in being selfish now and then Nikki.
You have to look after yourself.
I guess the one thing to keep in mind is that it WILL get better.
Trust me I'm a doctor :wacko:

hope you feel better soon

mick

nikkinoo
23-02-09, 17:14
Hi all,
Thanks for all your replies. Still feling jittery today and hardly slept last night. This sinus thing has really got to me big time! Nobody seems to have had blood evident in their sinus secretions, let alone coughed it up and I feel that I am the only one! I am being selfishly obsessive and I am getting so cross and tearful with myself.
I hope you are feeling much better today Mick and thank you for your kind words yesterday.
Kind regards Niki. :-)x