PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol ??

MardyBum
20-07-05, 14:04
The Dr have just given me a script for Propranolol 40mg are these good do they help I know last time I was having my attacks I was given them but they were only 10mg and I didnt think they helped at all.

Does anyone use these and if you do how are they?

thanks Lesley xx

melanie
20-07-05, 14:11
hi there,
i have been on propanolol for about five years on and off and they do greatly reduce the panic symptons and calm you down but can make you a bit tired.
mel xx

melanie

MardyBum
20-07-05, 14:16
lol well that prob wont make a difference casue im always tired lol

bigbaz2005
20-07-05, 15:33
I take 40mg 2 or 3 times a day and they seemed to have helped a lot. I am hypertensive anyway, but they certainly seemed to have stopped the heart related symptoms. The only downside for me is I used to be pretty fit, but now struggle to do as much as I used when I exercise. Bar that I havent had any major side effects

Barry

MardyBum
20-07-05, 16:03
but when i go out will they stop me feelin the dizzyness sweets etc, will these just calm me down so I dont get them anymore?

Meg
20-07-05, 16:23
They wil help the racing heart rate and stop some of the breathlessness.

They are not a calming agent.

Beta Blockers - new user seeks help please!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2400)
propanalol (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1967)

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

MardyBum
20-07-05, 16:55
I do get the racing heart but not the breathlessness. Normally for me its racing heart, sweats, shakes, like im going to be sick and hot flushes.

EDIT
just looked at the side affects and the look quite scary! am I just being silly I know i used to take 10mg of these with no side affects with the 40mg make much of a difference?

seh1980
20-07-05, 18:53
You should be fine Lesley. The side-effects with propanolol are pretty minor anyway..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

MardyBum
21-07-05, 09:45
Thanks seh1980 that makes me feel lots better!

MardyBum
21-07-05, 11:54
just another question (Sorry!!!) will I be ok to take zertek (anti histamine) and ibroprophen?

Sorry about my bad spellin lol

Cookie
21-07-05, 11:56
Hi Lesley,
I take propanolol, 40mg, 3 times a day. I had the same symptoms as you and the propanolol has definately helped. Took a couple of months for me to relax, but I've gotta say I'm a whole lot better compared to what I used to be.

Stick with them!

Shell.x:D

MardyBum
21-07-05, 12:00
Thanks Cookie that has really made me feel better.

I used to have attacks 2 years ago (I cant believe it was that long ago to tell you the truth lol) and was given the same tablets but just 10mg and they did help then. This time I feel they are worse so the Dr has given me the stronger dose. this is my second day on them and I feel better a little weepy this morning but i have had two days where i have made myself go out so i dont know if thats why!

thanks for your reply thou make sme feel loads better xx

Cookie
21-07-05, 18:53
No problem Lesley,
All we need sometimes is a little reassurance. Its nice to know other people survived exactly the same isn't it?!! Makes you realise you're not on your own. I'm sure the propanolol will work for you, it'll just take time thats all.
Well done for making yourself go out!!! I wasn't that brave to start with!

MardyBum
21-07-05, 21:14
lol its not a case of being brave lol I was a wreck but if I dont do it who else is going to

Cookie
21-07-05, 21:34
Well there is that I suppose!!! But well done anyway!!

EmmaJane
21-07-05, 21:46
Hi,

I cant help you on this, but good luck anyway

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

MardyBum
22-07-05, 12:02
Am I okies to drink on this I couldnt find anything on the leaflet??

seh1980
22-07-05, 12:04
I think it's ok to drink as long as it's not too much..:D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

MardyBum
22-07-05, 15:37
great thanks for that might be able to have a clouple to steady my nerves on sat night then lol

vicks
21-08-09, 21:06
hi lesley
i read your worries and noticed they were written in july... i am in the same place as you were just starting on them at 20mg a day..tell me that they worked for you and you are feeling better now,,? i hope that you are i have terrible anxiety palpitations and tremors feeling every thing is shutting down in me shaking and i am on citalapram 20 mg and just about to start propanalol..20mg what is your advice?
vicky

Romanboss
09-07-10, 20:39
I was prescribed Propranolol for acute anxiety, but unfortunately for me, I am a servere Emetophobic as well as Agorophobic and as a result I will do anything to avoid feeling nauseous/vomiting and I always check the side effects and one of those was the above which was enough to put me off, even if the side effect is incredibly rare, as most of my mental health problems stem from my emetophobia. I just wish that I could control the great fear of eating or drinking anything in case it makes me feel or be sick :unsure:

kirstyboobs
10-07-10, 22:37
hi i have just been prescribed propranolol and i am so frightened to take them incase it kills me i know this sounds so stupid but i am in a vicious circle at min its horrid and i dont know how to get out of it xx can ne1 help