PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia question

mick_uk
22-02-09, 09:36
Hi all,
This is not a flippant question but something I was wondering about. If you suffer from agoraphobia, when you dream do you go outside? Do you feel safe outside when dreaming about being outside or does the anxiety of being agoraphobic still continue when you dream?

mick

mick_uk
22-02-09, 09:51
Hi Tetley,
I have it bad at times, now being an example, yet I have found momatter how bad the agoraphobia is in the 'real' world, I'm always okay when I dream about going outside. :shrug:
It's strange, you would think the dreams would mimic the real experiences.
Just another little quirk of anxiety to make you feel worse I guess :D
take care

mick

Dizzy-Dave
22-02-09, 09:55
Hey Mick,

I'm house bound and haven't seen anything outside my cul-de-sac for about 4 months.

I dream alot and i go outside in them all the time.

I'm a lucid dreamer and become very aware that i'm doing it too.

mick_uk
22-02-09, 09:59
Hiya Dizzy,
Strange isn't it.
I'm a lucid dreamer too. Read up a lot on it when I was doing a course some years back. Practiced some methods and found I could do it quite easy.
I wish I could be a lucid awaker :D
It's far harder to practice that than lucid dreaming.

mick

Dizzy-Dave
22-02-09, 10:04
I haven't even tried!

I've got constant dizzys and tinitis.

Going out is the least of my worrys lol.

Though i do want to badly...

:wacko:

mick_uk
22-02-09, 10:09
There's a lot of dizzyness/tinnitus about Dizzy,
I've had it a while now. Used the drops/medicines the doc prescribed, but I think I've just got to wait for it to clear on it's own.

faith
22-02-09, 17:44
i dream about travelling on buses and trains and i feel high anxiety if it gets really panicky i wake up

Snowshadow
22-02-09, 20:51
I definitely dream about being out and having anxiety/panic. Even though I'm doing much better now in regards to the agoraphobia, it isn't completely gone. But I was housebound for a year. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy really helped me with my agoraphobia. If you haven't tried it, well worth looking into. :)

belle
22-02-09, 20:52
I dream about going out, but i generally feel anxiety and panic in my dreams!

For the last 10 months i have had Tinnitus every-single-day without fail. Somedays its louder than others, today its at a managable level, thank god! I also have had a lot of dizziness or the feeling of being off balance, i hate it, but i do have medication to help with that, although there is nowt they can do about the Tinnitus.

sunshine-lady
22-02-09, 21:58
I am agoraphobic too and have dreams outside. Sometimes they are nice dreams, in others I can be outside , lost and panicing like mad!

freakedout
03-03-09, 20:39
Hi,

I haven't had many dreams that I remember for a couple of years except during the last few weeks I have been waking regularly and so seem to remember some of my dreams. I don't usually dream of being outside but I dream of being in places other than my home. I have had some horrible dreams lately, running up a flight of stairs and there being a brick wall at the top, I am trapped so run back down and the same brick wall is at the bottom. Also I have dreamed of running but not getting anywhere, screaming with no sound coming out of my mouth, also of being in sinking sand, sinking quickly but I wake up just as the sand reaches my nostrils - disturbed huh? I think I would rather not dream right now!!!

Freaky

Lou17
07-03-09, 16:27
My anxietys about being away from home do crop up In several of my dreams, but I cannot say it comes into most of them. Just the odd few panicy dreams.

carrotcake
08-03-09, 19:49
i always dream about being outside but even in my dreams i am still aware that i have agoraphobia and wonder what i am doing outside lol no escape!

purplehaze
08-03-09, 20:23
dreaming is something like visualisation and I think if during our wakened moments we can visualise being outside and not fearing it, it then becomes part of our progress.

nikkinik
09-03-09, 14:32
The dream that stands out for me is usually the same one.. Im in the town centre of where I used to live, am floating around the streets on a mattress whilst naked!?! Ive absolutely no idea why that is, why it keeps reocurring or what it means!?!!

Another dream that keeps happening is one in which Im in a hospital and theres a terrible bug or poisoning thats happened and thousands of ppl are being sick.. its just everywhere and its a vile dream. I do have emetophobia so that could explain that one! :(

Im agoraphobic but am not housebound.. I can make one trip a day that I have no choice in.. but other things like keeping hospital appointments etc are a nightmare for me. I like to wake up and see how I feel health wise (which isnt great any day at the moment!)