PDA

View Full Version : Do you think laziness is a symptom of anxiety?

samtheman
22-02-09, 15:52
Look in the dictionary under Lazy and there is a picture of me.:D I have little or no motivation in life, I have achieved very little. At school I did very well for my first 3 years of secondary school, but in the final years going through puberty I think thats when my anxiety kicked in, although I never really knew what it was. I was to lazy to revise for my exams so failed them, I went to tech college but was to lazy to do anywork or even attend so I dropped out, since then I have floated through minimum wage dead end jobs, jobs that don't require any brain power. I would love to assert myself but I feel life is a struggle and takes alot of energy,

Looking back at my old school report cards they all have the same theme "Sam has so much potential but doesn't use any of it"

Whats your thoughts on this?

Yvonne
23-02-09, 19:18
Sam

Just looking for that picture lol! Hmmm yes, I see it - the one with the person lying on the sofa watching daytime telly !!!!!

Laziness is not a symptom of anxiety - on the contrary anxiety can have you working hard, and fast like a dimented dog. When anxiety is very bad you want to forget the symptoms or try in some way to stop them coming so a lot of people try to work off the feeling. Using up the adreneline by physical work is common.

However, a symptom of anxiety is lack of energy as you said. Anxiety can make you feel so weak and lethargic that you feel as if you have had a very strong tranquiliser. So, don't beat yourself up and don't think you're lazy. Maybe you lack motivation - that can be part of the illness.

Write a long list of stuff you would like to do and then make a start. If you get really weary then rest. Always go back to your list and try to continue because you will find it rewarding.

Take care.

IzzyB
24-02-09, 21:33
I don't think laziness is a symptom of anxiety, however feelings of apathy can most definitely be as Yvonne above has said.

cheekycharlie
25-02-09, 09:58
The only person who can make you do stuff & assert yourself is you. I don't think laziness is a sign of anxiety, however I think laziness can make you anxious as you are not doing an awful lot of things & your mind goes into overdrive & you think stuff which isn't actually happening. If you have always been a naturally lazy person and want to do more, why not make a list of things you enjoy... such as maybe dancing, writing, reading & then think of activities that you could link that with. Like learning a new skill such as going to night school or doing volunteer work at a library or going to a dance class to learn a different style of dancing or something. Anyway, my point is, whatever it is then only you can do it, no one else can do it for you. Good luck with it & I hope you manage to find something you enjoy. :)

Lotte
25-02-09, 21:36
no, it is because anxiety uses alot of energy therefore makes you feel exhausted ;)