PDA

View Full Version : CBT Triggering me off

Danceruk
22-02-09, 17:06
Hi guys

Hope its okay to post here, just a bit confused at the moment.

Had my first session of CBT two weeks ago, found it really hard. She didnt say a word, I was expected to do all the talking. Found speaking out loud about it really triggered me off after for a good week, was a lot worse. I have now moved my next slot to March as I found it completly draining emotionally.

My OCD is mostly cleaning and revolves around kitchen mainly which I dont use much to avoid being set off. I tend to avoid it at all costs. Since I have been to see her I have found I am worse and also am having issues with my eating. I have seen my GP he said to keep seeing it and that I "looked fine" despite not eating.

Just exhausted and know I need to go back to CBT but I just cant cope with having such bad episodes after it.

Any advice please.

starlight78
22-02-09, 23:11
I think CBT does make things a bit tougher at first, coz its getting you to face things that you dont necessarily want to.

After my first session i was anxious for a week, but i suppose its trying to make changes which is always tough. If its too easy then it probably isn't doing anything for you..
Well done for hanging on in there, it will be worth it i'm sure!
Good Luck!

sheena
23-02-09, 12:28
I had my CBT with a psychologist. I felt comfortable with her (with I think you do need to). If it is CBT she is supposed to be interactive with you to help you manage your OCD.

Sheena

PUGLETMUM
23-02-09, 13:40
:) hiya, yeah like sheena i had cbt with a qualified psychologist so i think i got a good deal - plus i had to pay myself so i think she wouldnt have looked very good if she hadnt have been involved - i would have just gone somewhere else! but she had been head of pschological therapies in my town anyway - but i liked her and we got on very well. what your feeliong is totally normal - you are supposed to get worse first - because like starlight78 said you are facing thoughts and symptoms that you will have been trying to avoid for a very long time. i myself have ocd in the form of thoughts of harming my daughter and i have had to face being with her alone, because my way to cope with the thoughts was to avoid the situation where i would be in danger of doing anything to her and not being able to get help - it still causes me anxiety now, and when i faced my ocd problem i felt ill for a week - realising that this had been the root casue of all my anxiety. so i am recovering - im not there yet, but now i know what it is i feel alot better. you can also get help and advice about your ocd on ocduk - take care, emma:)

Danceruk
24-02-09, 19:51
Thanks

I have to take what is free, 6 sessions on NHS. She said I talk..and she listens..so guess I just have to make sure I am clear what I want to say each week.

Put off my next session for a few weeks, my eating is going downhill, worried she will pick me up on that.

She said avoidance tactic of not going in the kitchen is self preservation..but also means I dont face the problem. Good and bad..but didnt really say much else..

Going to go back to my doctor speak with him again.

usuallypositive
08-03-09, 01:25
Hi DancerUK,

My first therapy session triggered me again. I had had two 'clear' weeks before the session and wanted to cancel as I knew speaking to her would bring it back. Which it did. But I agree with above posts that sadly it may get worse before it gets better. But I believe it will get better.

Can you explain to your therapist that you found her approach unhelpful and you'd like to split the talking 70/30? If it doesn't get better, can you ask to change therapists?