PDA

View Full Version : Fibroids...

melodinpanic
22-02-09, 18:37
Does anyone know if fibroids can be detected in a smear test?

nomorepanic
22-02-09, 18:43
I don't think they can - mine were detected when I had a pelvic scan and they found an ovarian cyst as well.

melodinpanic
22-02-09, 18:46
Because I have pelvic pain or bladder pain, not always, it's comes and goes and I'm having a smear on tuesday. If it goes on, I'll tell my doctor. Did u have pelvic pain as well?

Thanx for your reply.
:hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

nomorepanic
22-02-09, 18:51
I had terrible pelvic pain and now I have bladder pain but I was told last week I have a urine infection as well.

I am also going for a 2nd scan for the ovarian cyst this coming Wednesday so will see what they say.

As for the fibroids they told me they will just go in time and they don't do anything with them.

melodinpanic
22-02-09, 19:41
How did they find out about your bladder infection?

melodinpanic
22-02-09, 19:42
Sorry I meant urine infection..:blush:

nomorepanic
22-02-09, 21:02
Not sure if you are aware but I am currently very ill with Crohn's disease and been off work 5 months after a long hospital stay.

I have had this pain for months and they kept telling me it was the Crohn's but I kept saying it wasn't!

Anyway I did a urine sample last week at the hopsital and they said it looked like I had a urine infection but would be in touch once they sent it off for testing.

Got a letter from doc's on Thursday to say could I take another urine sample down which I did and it was a very funny colour! They called to say I needed antibiotics straight away as I had an infection and didn't I have any symptoms.

I told them I had loads of symptoms but everyone was ignoring me and telling me it was the Crohn's! I am so mad about it as I have been in pain for months and no-one listened to me.

So in short I did a urine test and that showed it up.

Jan63
22-02-09, 23:49
Does anyone know if fibroids can be detected in a smear test?
I might be wrong but I think they can be felt if you have an internal.:unsure:

I have read that a lot of women have fibroids but they never know they have got them but sometimes large ones can cause problems. I think I may have them too.:shrug:

melodinpanic
23-02-09, 07:25
Not sure if you are aware but I am currently very ill with Crohn's disease and been off work 5 months after a long hospital stay.

I have had this pain for months and they kept telling me it was the Crohn's but I kept saying it wasn't!

Anyway I did a urine sample last week at the hopsital and they said it looked like I had a urine infection but would be in touch once they sent it off for testing.

Got a letter from doc's on Thursday to say could I take another urine sample down which I did and it was a very funny colour! They called to say I needed antibiotics straight away as I had an infection and didn't I have any symptoms.

I told them I had loads of symptoms but everyone was ignoring me and telling me it was the Crohn's! I am so mad about it as I have been in pain for months and no-one listened to me.

So in short I did a urine test and that showed it up.

I just read about the Crohn's deasease, I'm sorry to hear that you're in pain. I really really hope you're gonna feel better:hugs:
Thanx a lot for your reply and your help.

melodinpanic
23-02-09, 07:27
I might be wrong but I think they can be felt if you have an internal.:unsure:

I have read that a lot of women have fibroids but they never know they have got them but sometimes large ones can cause problems. I think I may have them too.:shrug:

I think I have them too, but not sure. I should have a check up anyway. The thought doesn't worry me though, because I know that fibroids are harmless.:yesyes:

Thanx for ur reply!:hugs:

amandaj
23-02-09, 11:13
ive got a fibroid it was detected in an ultrasound internal scan i was told if have probs with it to go back that was over a year ago now and it seems ok for the mo

Piglet
26-02-09, 12:58
I had an ovarian cyst for 18 months which got biggish then on the next scan had gone.

I've also got the beginnings of fibroids which they told me about when I was being checked for the cyst and like they told Nic they don't often do anything about them because apparently as you get older they tend to shrink away again.

As far as I am aware they wouldn't be able to detect fibroids from a smear test cos you're not in quite the right area ie: they are just looking at the top of your 'lady garden' not at the 'compost heap' so to speak! :blush:

Nic I hope you feel better very soon from the urine infection.

Love Piglet :flowers:

ElizabethJane
26-02-09, 17:41
Sounds as if your fibroids aren't giving you any trouble then they are best left well alone. If they are large or causing you to have very painful periods then maybe they could be removed. This isn't as easy as it sounds if you want to preserve your fertility. In my case I had a hysterectomy as fibroids were one of the problems that were found. As you grow older then you are more likely to grow fibroids. I dont know why. Also if you haven't had children and are older ie in your forties they are more likely to grow.

dmckinney
13-04-09, 02:10
No for a pap smear the doc check your cervic and make sure that everything is okay no cervical cancer and they also check for any STD abnormal pap smear. For Fibroids they do a pelvic exam, I know bc I had a pap smear done everything came back fine but when I went in for a check up I told the doc that I was having lower abdonminal, back pain so he scheduled me for a pelvic exam (ultrasound) and results came back with fibroid on uterus

Allye
14-04-09, 19:41
A lot of women have fibroids - they are harmless but can ocassionally cause you problems. Mine was in an awkward position and was giving me extremely heavy periods - leading to chronic amoemia.

I had mine removed - there are lots of new techniques which preserve your fertility.