PDA

View Full Version : Pregnancy/Labour Fears

Nurse_Gladys
23-02-09, 04:08
Hi, im thinking about starting a family with my husband, but i have an overwhelming fear that, as im giving birth, i'll do too much straining/pushing and i'll give myself a heart attack.

Im also terrified of the pressure that being pregnant will have on my body, esp my heart. I know that im not going to be the first woman ever to have a baby, but i know i'll be terrified the whole time, and even worse when i go into labour.

Im not even pregnant yet, but the thought of it is putting me off having a baby, which i dont want, and my husband wont understand. Help!

belle
23-02-09, 09:14
Do you have a heart condition? If not, womens bodies are made to have children, to reproduce, it's a natural process. If our hearts couldn't cope, we wouldn't be having children.

If on the other hand you do have a heart problem it would be a good idea to talk through with a doctor.

Pregnancy and childbirth is scary, its scary for everyone. I was terrified - but my heart coped, more importantly, I COPED. I was in labour for a long long time, and i was pushing for a long time too, in the end i was too weak to push anymore, so my son was delieved by forceps. At that point, i didn't give a s**t, they could have gone in there themselves after him and i wouldn't have been bothered!!!

I was a terrible pregnant women, i was worried at every little ache and pain for the entire 9 months...but its was ALL worth it because i have the most delightful 10 year old boy :)

x

Oceanblue
23-02-09, 09:47
Hi, im thinking about starting a family with my husband, but i have an overwhelming fear that, as im giving birth, i'll do too much straining/pushing and i'll give myself a heart attack.

Im also terrified of the pressure that being pregnant will have on my body, esp my heart. I know that im not going to be the first woman ever to have a baby, but i know i'll be terrified the whole time, and even worse when i go into labour.

Im not even pregnant yet, but the thought of it is putting me off having a baby, which i dont want, and my husband wont understand. Help!

Hi,

To be honest, I very much doubt that when Labour comes around you'll be worrying about your heart rate level. Your mind will be concentrating on each contraction and baring each and every one. When full Labour is in progress it's pretty much impossible to think of anything else. Although, my partner did tell me that I told the nurses I was going home whilst in mid labour and attached to a couple of machines. (I think that must have been the tank of gas & air that I used up :)).

Labour is a terrifying thing to go through and it's natural to feel anxious for any mum beforehand, but I'm sure you'll be just fine. Any slight concern or worry and the doctor is always there to help you throughout.

Good luck :flowers:

valleybear
23-02-09, 12:14
Hi Nurse Gladys
Just wanted to say that I have suffered from health anxiety since my late teens. I still have anxiety and panic attacks but coping. When I was 32 I was pregnant with my first child and considered an 'older' mother!! The 9 months were the best and most symptom free time I had had, and the delivery was normal and I was so well looked after that I felt completely safe (although my primary health anxiety was about heart attack at that time).
Why not get your general health checked out and when reassured you can decide. Wishing you the best.....it was one of the best times of my life.XXXX

Nurse_Gladys
25-02-09, 03:34
Thanks for your replies ladies. I know i'll be a nightmare as a pregnant woman, but i suppose i can always opt for an elective c-section, eh? x