PDA

View Full Version : Worried I have an Ovarian Cyst

Cat80
24-02-09, 12:43
I was told last year after having sharp pain low down on the right and felt a pop that I may have a cyst and to just go away and see if the pain gets any worse or I get any new symptoms.

Well for the last few weeks I have been in constant pain with my tummy, not excruiating, more annoying as I can't get rid of it. Feel sick all the time (I do have anixety, acid reflux and IBS), frequently peeing, lower back pain (I do have bad posture) and feeling tired all the time, having hot flushes every now and then (only 28 so doubt its the menopause) and keep getting a numb leg. I'm just so scared I have a cyst because I wouldn't have an operation in a million years (rather die I'm that scared of them).

Anyone else every had anything like this?

amu
24-02-09, 20:08
Hi

I've had these symptoms including the numb leg when I was worried about that area but I think for me these symptoms were products of my anxiety and they kept replacing each other. Nausea, frequent peeing, feeling tired, numbness are classic anxiety symptoms.
Question is, did the symptoms come first or did your fear of a cyst come first?:) In my case the fear of illness came first and this was followed by these symptoms.
Also, don't be scared of ovarian cysts, not all of them have to be operated and they are more often than not harmless.

Amu

madcowmonty
24-02-09, 21:42
I had these exact same symptoms, even the popping sensation. Got a scan done and found out that it was Poloycystic Ovary Syndrome, which is nothing to worry about at all. I've had it for 4 years now and believe me I am the biggest scardy cat of all about health issues, and trust me there is nothing dangerous about the PCOS (if you are diagnonosed).

Cat80
25-02-09, 11:07
Thank you both for replies. I have had anxiety (well diagnosed) for 2 years and since then have done nothing but worry about every little thing, my health being the biggest worry. I have a Dr's appointment next week so hopefully she can ease my fears. Thanks again

Cat80
28-02-09, 15:57
Well the pain is back again 10 days before my period is due just like it was last time I had the really bad stabbing pains (last year about 5 months ago). Tummy sore all over but main pain is low down on the right next to my hip and have also been having stabbing pains in my right thigh. Was woken up last night feeling so sick and the pain was awful. Convinced myself it was my appendix (like I did last time it was this bad) but don't think it is as the pain didn't start in the middle of my stomach.

It feels where my ovary is. I have a Dr's appointment on Friday but am petrified of telling her my symptoms as I'm too scared to have an operation (major phobia of mine). I'm on the contraceptive pill which I know is supposed to help with some cysts but if I have one it hasn't done. This stabbing pain when I first had it started about 5 months ago (maybe more actually as I'm sure it was still summery here in the UK) and not had it so intense since. Last time it started 10 days before my period and then after my period had started the pain started to ease off. I thought that was it but it's back. Am so scared. Anyone else ever had anything like this? I have IBS but don't think that can be this intense and focused low down on the right and cause pain in my thigh

befuddled1
28-02-09, 18:28
Hi Cat80
I don't want to advise you on your symptoms as am sure it's better you speak to someone with medical knowledge about this. I imagine it could be a number of things but would recommend telling someone now and having it investigated if possible rather than waiting, in case it gets worse.
Bearing in mind what your fear is I was a bit reluctant to post in case of causing you further anxiety so I want to reiterate before I go on that your pain could be a number of things and there may be a number of different treatment options to try before something like surgery, if anything is necessary.
So, anyway, am also 28 and would also be terrified like you at the idea of telling GP something if I had an idea it might result in an operation. However, about a week and a half ago I started to get severe pains in my lower right abdomen, was moaning and groaning and couldn't sit still. These pains were similar to, although worse than something I had in November which was diagnosed as a urinary tract infection. Anyway, basically I ended up admitted to hospital for investigations and then facing surgery for an ovarian cyst. All in the course of just a few days. I was terrified by the thought of the surgery but it was really my best option, I'm not sure I have recovered from the stress of it all yet. There were a lot of tears and I'm not a crier. Anyway, the point is I've come out the other side of it, even though it was quite an ordeal. I guess I just wanted to tell you this so that you might consider what would be the best way for you to deal with things. If you wait for the pain to get worse and have to face treatment in more of an emergency situation will you deal better with it than if you had had time to prepare yourself? It was pretty high stress for me to be told at 3pm I was going to go for surgery either that evening or the following morning (actually ended up being about 4pm the next day.) As I said before it may not be that you need surgery at all, if they can treat whatever it is without surgery they will. I guess I'd just urge you to get this seen to sooner rather than later even though it may cause you stress. It may not be anything to worry about at all. Please feel free to PM me with any questions. I seriously hope I haven't increased your anxiety and apologise if I have!!
xxx

Jan63
28-02-09, 20:15
I had an ovarian cyst removed when I was 28, just five weeks after my first baby was born. Mine had strangulated though and that what was causing all the pain I was in. The cyst had grown in pregnancy because it wasn't there when I had my first scans and the later scans couldn't pick it up because the baby was in the way. If you start shaking and sweating and being sick please ring the emergency doctor because that's what they told me when I had my cyst.(well actually they told me to go direct to the hospital) They removed that and my ovary and I was absolutely fine afterwards so please tell your doctor all your symptoms even though you are scared.:hugs::hugs:

jodie
28-02-09, 20:26
hiya

i had a cyst when i was pregnant with my first child ,i had no idea i had it till they gave me my first scan.
i had to have a op while i was carrying my little girl as the cyst was large.

i had no pain no symptoms nothing but i think as jan said if u get worse get checked out hun.

jodie x

Cat80
01-03-09, 15:31
Thanks so much for the replies. The pain is better today, so much so I actually managed a trip into town. I will tell my Dr about the symptoms when I go and see her on Friday, I really hope it's just to do with my IBS being as I'm cranking upto my period. Thanks again so much for the replies, I really appreciate it

bananas13
02-03-09, 07:19
about 2 years ago, i thought i had appendixitis because of horrible stabbing pains in my lower abdomen... i was nauseous and couldnt stand up straight. i went to the ER and they told me it was ovarian cysts and that they were harmless...

i get them basically every month before my period... they hurt, but theyre harmless. now that i know what the pain is, i dont worry anymore.

most ovarian cysts are absolutely harmless... just annoying.