PDA

View Full Version : fast pulse

tina2004
18-12-03, 15:16
does anyone have a fast pulse,mine is usually ok but im off my atenolol now and propanolol and it goes fast for no reason ,could it be something wrong with my heart,

benoo5
18-12-03, 16:20
hi tina,

have you come off your tablets,after advice by your doctor?

the tablets are beta blockers,and if taken in low doseage,will slow the heart rate,you were probably given them to ease anxiety.

once you stop taking them,your anxiety will once again cause the heart to beat faster..please contact your doctor,who will advise you..best wishes..bryan.

uryjm
18-12-03, 23:38
What is your resting heart rate? This is best taken first thing in the morning, when you're lying in bed. Average is around seventy or eighty beats per minute, I think.

Jim

Lottie32
19-12-03, 09:08
Dear Tina

If you are still under your doctor, then I really wouldn't worry too much about it.

My pulse is all over the place. Last week when I went for my induction at the gym (which I was really stressed about), and having got stuck in the car wash prior, resulting in a panic attack, I was v stressed.

I did two machines and got pulses of 120 and 138 after ten minutes. Then I went onto the rowing machine, did 10 minutes and then the trainer checked my pulse. It was 98! He was amazed, but I wasn't, it was because I had finally started to relax and enjoy myself!

So unless your doctor has given you cause for concern, then I really wouldn't worry. Its just one of the many bizzare symptoms of being a sufferer of anxiety and panic.

Please try not to think too much about it, as the more you do, the more aware you will be and the more it will happen!

Charlie

Laurie28
19-12-03, 11:47
Hiya Guys,

I just don't do things like checking my pulse etc, as mine tends to be all over the place i find that checking it makes me anxious!!

Lucky

sadie
19-12-03, 21:34
Hi Lucky,

I tend to have a fast beating pulse quite a lot. One of my problems is that I seem to focus on how fast it is beating which causes it too beat faster for longer etc..
My heart also beats irregular so i get the tickling sensation in my throat..in fact i had that today at work.

Ive had my heart checked 3 times now and my GP says my hearts fine and the symptoms are just due to anxiety and not to worry. Im now trying hard not to worry too much about this which i think is helping decrease the symptoms.

Speak to your GP about it and Im sure he will be able to put your mind at rest.

Take care

sadie

uryjm
20-12-03, 11:08
Typical conversation with GP:
"Doctor, my heart is racing, I'm having palpitations and I'm feeling stressed".
"Hmmm. Anything worrying you?"
"Yes. The fact that my heart is racing, I'm having palpitations and I'm feeling stressed".

Another of my favourites came from Reggie Perrin, when he goes for the company medical:
Reggie: "Doctor, I'm feeling generally unwell. I'm not sure what it is. I can't sleep or concentrate. My mind is wandering."
Doctor: "Are you having headaches?"
Reggie: "Yes".
Doctor: "Occassional memory lapses and unfocused anger?"
Reggie: "Yes"!
Doctor: "Excessive sweating, feeling as if you're running a temperature?"
Reggie: "Yes"!!
Doctor: "Hmmm. Me too. Wonder what it is?"

Jim

uryjm
20-12-03, 11:13
I'm now feeling sheepish about chiding GP's above! They do a great job, but I know that they get frustrated with the "worried well". I read somewhere that almost 80% of people that some GP's see have either anxiety or depression at the root of their symptoms. It's no wonder that doctors reach for the prescriptive drugs in the ten minutes they have with you.
(Personally, I married a psychiatric nurse for 'round the clock counseling!)

Jim

Laurie28
22-12-03, 08:13
Jim,

I agree with you that GP's have a hard and wearing job, still i couldn't help but laugh at your GP post (and agree with it as well)

lucky

stephen
22-12-03, 20:07
hi tina2004 .how long have you been on propanolol?its highly unlikely to be a heart problem .switching from one drug to another ,or stopping taking prescribed drugs, will cause a bodily reaction no matter what those drugs are.Try not to get anxious .i know thats easier said then done but if you can reduce your anxiety it will help believe me. love, steve

benoo5
22-12-03, 21:41
quote:Originally posted by sadie

Hi Lucky,

I tend to have a fast beating pulse quite a lot. One of my problems is that I seem to focus on how fast it is beating which causes it too beat faster for longer etc..

that is truer than you think sadie,there are people in parts of the world,that sit in a yoga position,concentrate on there thoughts,and feelings,and can get their heart rate down to 5 beats per minute,and hold it,at that rate,for as long as they want.

dont fancy trying it myself though! ....bryan.

Lottie32
23-12-03, 09:20
Tina

Try two things - one, get fitter as the fitter you are the slower your pulse

and most importantly - two, try not to think about it too much!!! Easier said than done I know, but the more you think about it, the more likely it is to rise, and the more it rises, the more likely you are to think about it.

As Bryan and Sadie pointed out, there are people whos bodies are so well trained that they can raise or lower their pulse just by thinking about it. Obviously the reverse is true!

A fast pulse, irregular heartbeat, skipping a beat etc. are all very common symptoms of our anxiety, and if the doctor has given you the once over, please accept that you are ok, and have nothing to worry about!

Charlie