PDA

View Full Version : How would we know if its a "real" illness

lostgirl
25-02-09, 00:08
Following my neck pain post how would we know if a illness we have is "real" compared to anxiety?

Even symptom is real to me every time and friends / family calm me down saying its my anxiety again but what when it isnt anxiety and they think it is?

Im totally sick of the hours I spend in A&E the constant pains, feeling so so ill every day that it must be something underlying, what if something gets missed?

This is all exhausting, ive had enough

molpookski
25-02-09, 05:57
Oh lostgirl - it is so hard isn't it.I am exactly the same. I am always thinking that the doctors must be missing something and have no confidence in them unless specific tests are done. It's very easy to put everything down to anxiety, however if you do suffer from anxiety - then that is probably what it is.
I find this forum reassuring - if you have any symptoms, just ask if anyone else has experienced it. I have found that this eases some of my anxiety. However if it still is bugging you, then by all means go to your GP to get some tests done to rule out what you think you have - even if it is just for some peace of mind. Unfortunately I don't have a 'right' answer for you - it is a horrible thing we need to live with and all we can do is manage it the best way we can.:hugs:

itoldyouiwasill
25-02-09, 07:38
...and just to say that anxiety is a 'real' illness! It has 'real' mental and physical sensations and suffering from it can have a negative impact on all facets of our lives. In many ways, we would be far better off having having another illness rather then anxiety as it can be far more treatable and have a lesser effect on our lives...our problem is that we think that it is not just any old illness being missed but rather MS, POCD, ALS or Cancer, a classic anxiety sufferers trait of over reaction and all or nothing thinking.

This is really the irony. We worry about having an illness we do not have but all the while allow the illness we do have to develop further. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as 'just' anxiety! Anxiety can develop into a chronic condition and once this happens it is as crippling and serious as any other illness or condition. We need to accept the diagnosis and also accept it is a SOLID & SERIOUS diagnosis and then make very effort on getting ourselves better from anxiety rather then wasting our time and prolonging the illness by dwelling on 'maybes' and 'what ifs'!