PDA

View Full Version : The need to be needed

Bill
25-02-09, 05:13
I'm quite sure not everyone will agree with this but...

I feel there are 2 types to this.

There is the type of person who only wants to take from others for their own benefit to fill their needs and there are those who enjoy feeling needed so that they can do the reverse and give to others to fill the other persons needs. Both types feel the need to feel needed.

The former is selfish for only taking without ever giving. The latter often doesn't care about themselves so can't be selfish.

If we only think of ourselves and only care about ourselves then how will others care about us when we never ask for help for fear of appearing needy?

If we create barriers to keep others out, won't we lead lonely lives, happy loving ourselves but alone?

Personally, the person I find most attractive is the needy person who cries out for help because they are the people who need and accept love and compassion without suspicion.

Of course it's wrong to always demand from another because then they are selfish and become a burden but those in need of support should never be made to feel a burden for asking for help.

I think it would be a very uncaring world if we all felt complete with our own company because we were too afraid to need from or give to others.:hugs:

What more could make a man feel more complete than a woman "needing" him for all the love he can give?..........

My sunshine

With one thought of her smile within my mind,
My sweet love, how she makes the sun shine,
Her loveliness so warm and true,
Brightly shining in the sky so blue,

Her skin flushed pink as a summers rose,
Glowing reassuringly she heals all woes,
Petals so glossy glistening with dew,
She is a wonder so treasured of so few,

Sitting gently in my palm, so soft, so perfect,
Forever admired, comforted and protected,
A rose, so pristine, so kind, a pleasure to hold,
Bringing warmth within when the weather’s so cold,

An angel with comforting wings,
With a voice that joyfully sings,
A precious woman, so special where she lays,
She makes me feel complete in every way.:hugs:

Wenjoy
25-02-09, 16:40
Wow Bill that was lovely!... I agree. I know myself I seem to need to be needed otherwise why am I here? Wenjoy x

Yvonne
25-02-09, 17:07
What a beautiful poem Bill. I was just sitting here thinking wouldn't it be lovely if my husband wrote a poem like that dedicated to me. No chance lol!!

I get so much pleasure from giving to others - it gives me pleasure - I wonder if that is in any way selfish??

To be needed is a very important thing in life. I was needed so much by my two daughters when they were at home and although the needing of "me" was hard a lot of the time because being needed carries with it so many responsibilities - the lack of this needing me now they are grown up and independent leaves me very empty inside.

My husband needs me of course - who else would iron his shirts and cook his dinners etc etc. He also needs me for moral support and for friendship.

We need to be needed and we need others - it's a two way thing. How dreadful it would be to be the sort of person who only received without giving and who only needed others without being needed themselves.

Great post Bill, keep them coming.xx

freakedout
26-02-09, 02:56
I think I am a bit of both. I feel selfish being needy and self-obsessed and asking for support from others but sometimes it is all I can do when I cannot cope.

Having said that I will bust my gut to help anyone I can, being able to help other's does give a sense of satisfaction but when you feel low and lack self confidance you don't feel that you have much to offer.

I'm sure you know what I mean.

Freaky

Bill
26-02-09, 04:50
Well, at least maybe I'm not the only old fashioned person!

Having said that I will bust my gut to help anyone I can,

The above is what Freaky has said in her post on this thread about herself! Now go and read her new thread in this section about what she thinks of herself!!! Obviously she dislikes herself and yet....she'd do Anything for others?........so how then can she be what she says about herself in her other post??? Ermmm Freaky.......you're actually SPECIAL in my eyes because you put others first! Your depressed mood just stops you from seeing how Special you Really Are....and no, you'll never convince me otherwise!!!:bighug1: