PDA

View Full Version : I wish doctors would make up their minds..

mick_uk
25-02-09, 09:59
First it's drink a glass of wine,now it's don't drink a glass of wine.
Then it's drink tea, then it's bad for you.
Then it's eat this, then a year later don't eat it !
It's no wonder health anxiety has risen.
I think on most health problems the 'experts' reached a plateau years ago, and now they just tinker with experiments to keep their research up.
A lot of the old fashioned remedies my mum and my nan used still hold good today. We just seem to be brainwashed into buying this cure and that cure, when a lot of them do not do much more than the ones people used years ago.
Well, thats got that rant off my chest :yesyes:
I'm off to burn my breakfast now......... I wonder if it's healthy for me :scared15:

CJH86
25-02-09, 15:16
Hi im a fellow HA sufferer! i agree with you...trouble is these media stories we hear/read/google are not often expert opinions, they are from idiots who read scientific journals and get it all wrong or blow it out of proportion completely! And what one expert decides from the information they find may be completely disproved by another the next year, its like piggy in the middle!

Im a person who has to read a lot of scientific journals/medical journals for a living and sometimes its laughable how anyone derived 'this may give you cancer' 'this may extend your life' from the information within it in the first place!!!!

It does make me mad too, most of the modern 'cures' (well the ones you buy...thats why the NHS doesnt prescribe cold remedies:D) are a con For example strepsils, might as well suck a normal sweet or gargle salt water just as good!! they are purely for commercial gain really

marfen
25-02-09, 15:28
I totally agree. I tend to just roll my eyes whenever I see the latest headline and think 'what now?!'

valleybear
25-02-09, 15:36
I couldn't agree more..for people like us it is a mine field, trying to work out what is helpful and what is rot!! Also can anyone throw some light on the breathing courses advertised (at a premium of course!!) to lower blood pressure without medication!? Surely if this was the magical answer all the GPs would be giving patients the instructions on how to do this! Instead their adverts tell us that a BP in the normal range as defined by the BMA is 'dangerous'. I know this is to coerce people into spending their money on their product... but for people with HA it is distressing even although common sense tells us it is a lot of nonsense. Sorry Mick but your post has just released a rant of my own!! Going out to walk the dog now and relax??!!

Morchie
26-02-09, 11:37
Hi
When you see the health scare headlines it is worth having a look at a NHS website called behind the headlines (need to google it as I am not sure of the whole web address). This will give you all the information behind the story and it is often very different to what the papers report.

Statistics can be misleading like the 12% risk increase of getting breast cancer from having a glass of wine a day actually means instead of 10 woman per 100 getting it, 11 women will get breast cancer per 100. That is not as scary sounding as a 12% increase in risk but does not make such a good story.
There was a really good artical on the BBC news website looking as how statistics are reported and help explain what they really mean.

I suffer from health anxiety and somtimes feel that I can not eat, drink or breath for putting my health at risk of one thing or another. :blush: