PDA

View Full Version : Just about to start this

chbun
25-02-09, 12:57
I've just been prescribed Sertaline and I'm quite anxious about taking it. I've been on a few anti-depressants before with various amounts of success. I just wondered what side effects people had experienced on them. Also I wondered what the effect of alcohol has on them. I took Venlafaxine for 3 weeks with awful side effects - it also stopped my periods. Has anyone experienced this on Sertaline?

Thanks,

Charlottex

arielwatts5
06-03-09, 18:05
Sertraline is the generic form of Zoloft. I have been taking it for years and it helps. I always take it at night, because it can cause sleepiness. I have had some side effects, but none that are too dramatic. First, I would say it depends on why you are taking the medication. It is generally used for OCD patients I think. I use it for panic disorder and slight agoraphobia. It makes me calmer, and puts me on an even keel; however, even though I don't get too worried about things, I also don't get very excited. Sometimes, I feel like a robot. Also, there are some sexual side effects. My husband and I have to use lubricant. The major thing thing to remember is to always take what is prescribed every night!! The withdrawal symptoms are terrible. If I forget to take it at night, then the next day I start to get dizzy and disoriented. If I wait too long then the medicine takes a couple of days to kick in to its normal effectiveness. I hope this helps!

phoennixxs11
08-03-09, 13:14
Hi chbun, well my experience was not half as bad as i were expecting, i also was on venlafaxine for a good couple of years and i felt dreadful on them so was weary about starting on anything else. The first couple of days on sertraline was 'weird' i felt dithery on a morning and my teeth chattered which was bizarre, i had increased anxiety for a few days too which was unpleasant but also expected on these kinda meds, after a week though i felt great, all the side effects had gone and i felt mentally more happy and positive my issues came when i upped my dose to 100mg from 50, i had terrible insomnia for a few weeks but now thats past i feel incredible compared to before. Give them a try, everybody is different but give them at least 4-6 weeks before ya decide if they're for you or not.

Good luck, take care.

Phoennixxs.