PDA

View Full Version : People not understanding

sMINT
25-02-09, 17:58
I am so stressed right now.

No one seems to understand what I'm going through. Especially my parents, The 2 people you think you'd be able to rely on.

I think there is a row in my house at least 10 times a day. This is killing me becuase I suffer from high anxiety and stress as it is. I feel I will NEVER get better with them always shouting and blaming me for everything.

Im always being told to 'get a job'. I really am trying but it is hard to make that step when suffering form extreme panic attacks.

Also they constantly telling me to 'go out'. If they actually knew what panic attacks were like they too would stay in. I do try to go for a drive or a walk but not often as I never have the motivation. Most of my friends smoke marijuana so going out with them aint an option really and my parents are always telling me to ring them up. I dont tell them that all my friends take drugs so its real hard when my parents are telling me to go out with them.

My panic attacks have only been really bad over the last year or two. I know feel as if this will be never ending. I really cannot see myself getting better. If only they had a shop where you could purchase a new mind lol :roflmao:

melodinpanic
25-02-09, 18:19
I am so stressed right now.

No one seems to understand what I'm going through. Especially my parents, The 2 people you think you'd be able to rely on.

I think there is a row in my house at least 10 times a day. This is killing me becuase I suffer from high anxiety and stress as it is. I feel I will NEVER get better with them always shouting and blaming me for everything.

Im always being told to 'get a job'. I really am trying but it is hard to make that step when suffering form extreme panic attacks.

Also they constantly telling me to 'go out'. If they actually knew what panic attacks were like they too would stay in. I do try to go for a drive or a walk but not often as I never have the motivation. Most of my friends smoke marijuana so going out with them aint an option really and my parents are always telling me to ring them up. I dont tell them that all my friends take drugs so its real hard when my parents are telling me to go out with them.

My panic attacks have only been really bad over the last year or two. I know feel as if this will be never ending. I really cannot see myself getting better. If only they had a shop where you could purchase a new mind lol :roflmao:

Hi sMINT,
I understand you, I have the same problem.
My parents don't get my situation at all, they think I'm making it up. And when I try to talk to them about it they shout at me to stop behaving like I do. I am lucky I don't live with them, I live with my fiance who is really understanding of my situation.
You should explain to them that this is not a joke, that is serious. And that you want their support.
I really hope you know that you have all our support in this website, we know what you're going through. If you feel like none of your friends or your parents listen to you, come here and talk to us. We will listen and help you as much as we can!:bighug1:

i hate panicking
25-02-09, 18:20
Hi,

Just read your thread it sounds as though your really having a hard time at the mo :weep:.
Your parents need to understand that panic attacks do not Just dissapear over night,I get panic attacks too and they frighten the life out of me even though I have had them for years they still scare me,also them rowing all the time certainly won't help matters!
Have you been to see your gp at all?

Take care:bighug1:

sandy35
25-02-09, 18:32
I have suffered from panic attacks since 1989 when I was aged 14 and my parents then would sometimes shout at me for having panic attacks making me more stressed and anxious. I have been on incapacity benefit since 2006 as my anxiety was very bad and I just could not cope with work anymore and my mum spoke to the doctor at the time on my behalf to ensure I got the proper help. I am now doing a bit of voluntary work. So think as the years have gone on my parents have slowly come to terms with it but it has taken time but I don't live with them.

sMINT
25-02-09, 18:49
Cheers pfmelody (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=17854). Yeah Ive tried explaining to them, Im off to uni next year and even though I suffer panic attacks Im looking at it as a new opportunity. some freedom from the stress I have in my hosue at the moment.

Hi,

Just read your thread it sounds as though your really having a hard time at the mo :weep:.
Your parents need to understand that panic attacks do not Just dissapear over night,I get panic attacks too and they frighten the life out of me even though I have had them for years they still scare me,also them rowing all the time certainly won't help matters!
Have you been to see your gp at all?

Take care:bighug1:

Thank you.
Yeah been to the gp twice and got to go for a blood test & ecg scan next week, which I am REALLY panicking over as I hate blood and needles and have a fear of fainting lol. Hopefully after that I can get some form of treatment, I refuse to go on medication though apart from herbal ones.

And thanks sandy, That sounds exactly what Im going through now, I may try some voluntry work, maybe it will help me get out more and be motivated to get a job.

gofishing
25-02-09, 18:52
sMINT,

My parents have always been supportive, and they always thought I am a such a nice son to them. But, when I am with them after PA, I suffered the same thing like you suffer. They don't get it. They don't understand what PA is. They try to teach me something, blaming something...they don't know how to help, how to deal with the situation. Not just them, I also tried to find what source of my PA was, and tried to find if there is any blame from them, say unpleasat experience in childhood,...which I should've not done. I guess this is kinda normal situation for many sufferers.

sMINT
25-02-09, 19:11
I just feel like my day is always the same:

Wake up, Breakfast, Sit on the computer ALL DAY, go to bed, repeat

This is very un motivating :(

i hate panicking
25-02-09, 19:30
Hi again,

Well maybe you should change your routine a bit just so it does'nt feel like the same old day!!:)

Maybe a short walk or something?

purplehaze
25-02-09, 19:55
I think if your truthful with your parents and sit down and open up to them in a converstaion byt not in an argument. Tell them your mates take drugs so calling them is not an option. Medication is not a bad thing if it helps balance things out in the short to medium term and allows you to kick start your life..

Having a routine is good thing and as "I hate panicing" suggested going for a walk is a good idea. Even download some positive things to listen to as you walk.

sMINT
27-02-09, 21:19
Thanks people, Been for a ride on my bike today and yesterday and feel a bit better, Forgot how unfit I really am though :roflmao:

purplehaze, I have tried sitting down with them and they think everything is a joke which I find really frustrating. My dad has suffered with deppresion so I thought him of all people would understand.

I get blamed for everything in my house, there was a huge row today as I got home from a cycle. my parents had just got in from shopping and I had muddy shoes on so politely aske my dad to pass me the garage key as it was right next to him by the front door to save me taking off/coming in the house with muddy shoes. All I got was one BLAZING row about how hes busy and blah blah :ohmy:

i hate panicking
27-02-09, 21:41
Pat on the back for the bike ride:D

Can't your parents understand it's NO joke and them rowing is not gonna help the situation:rolleyes:.

minihaha
28-02-09, 00:34
i hope things get better for you soon and somehow you are able to communicate with your parents as to how bad you are feeling. Please don't take the burden of all the household arguments upon yourself.....you dont cause them - they are not your fault, although when you are troubled with anxiety you do tend to shoulder all the blame - i know, i've been there.

In general with parents being the ones that we turn to, and who we expect to understand, its ironic that its not always the case. I am now nearly 37 years of age and suffered anxiety for the last 7 years. As i moved out from the family home when i was 21 , my mum knew what was going on in my life on a need to know basis i guess. Its only in the last year or so that i have been able to tell my mum how i have been feeling and i have held a lot back as its clear she doesnt get where i am coming from. Whenever i try to speak to her about it she gets on the defensive and the conversation quickly moves to how much she struggled to bring us up etc etc and she starts feeling guilty when in reality she has no need to feel like this. I have no issues that i am aware of from my childhood that have contributed to my anxiety as an adult, its just the way i am and i do my best to cope with it on a day to day basis. But i find talking to it with my mum very hard as she just automatically assumes that the way i am must be a reflection on her - i hope i'm making sense here.

Try if you can, to let your parents know how you are feelign and how hard you are trying to find a job, let them understand that you need support right now in whatever way they deliver it. Could you ask them to accompany you on your next bike ride, that way you will be doing something relaxing together and you might all benefit from it.

I wish you the best of luck
Kerry x

xboxer1994
28-02-09, 02:10
Im sorry to here about this people need to understand these are real they happen and they are bad as can be.
http://panicattackawareness.co.cc/

Kaybee
28-02-09, 04:39
I understand part of your feelings.

My parents do so much to try and calm me down when I am at my own place, but whenever I come home and get wound up or stressed they tell me to stop over reacting and breathe.

This upsets me because both my parents have taken panic attacks, my mother more chronicly. They calm me when I'm not at home via the phone only because they aren't there in person to tell me to stop over reacting! Or that's how it feels at least.

I hope things start getting easier for you. Good luck on the job hunt. It isn't easy, but with determination, you can do it!