PDA

View Full Version : Scared of taking Propranolol

sarah7
25-02-09, 21:23
Hi,
I was just prescribred Propranolol today for anxiety, and I'm really worried about taking it. I never have high blood pressure, when testing it at home with one of those wrist machine things, its always the low end of normal, my doctor did check my blood pressure but both numbers were about 20 higher than they are at home. Either the home device is faulty, or I was stressed out about being at the doctors (most likely the latter).
I was told to take the tablet at night (40mg) and I'm just so scared of taking it, especially when going to bed as your heart and blood pressure are at their lowest while asleep and if its going to lower it more... I really would like to survive the night lol.
This worrying about the tablet is just doing nothing for my anxiety aswell so it's all a bit counterproductive right now.
I've read a huge number of the threads on this forum and I dunno, I feel that each person's different and I'd just like a little reassurance perhaps. Any advice would be great, thank you. :)

sfee
25-02-09, 22:35
Hi, don't worry, you should be fine. 40mg isn't a very high dose and you might find you don't notice that much happening anyway. When my anxiety was at its worst, I had two tablets of delayed 80mg and it was fine. The only thing I noticed was that it was slightly harder to climb the two flights of stairs to my office! Your doctor knows what he's doing and wouldn't prescribe them if he had any worries.

Hope this helps!

sfee

chbun
26-02-09, 10:47
I've been taking propranolol for about a year when I need to. I have not experienced any side effects from taking it. I have found it helpful for my panic attacks. It stops your heart from racing and stops any shaky hands etc. I really would give it a go. If you don't feel comfortable taking it at night - why not take it during the day?:winks: If you've got any questions feel free to ask me.

Charlottex

sarah7
26-02-09, 11:29
Thank you so much sfee, chbun. I think I'll definitely take it today, maybe late afternoon so at least I'll be with people if it somehow makes me feel worse.

I'm so glad I found this forum in my panic over panic medication :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help :)

chbun
26-02-09, 16:31
Let us know how it goes - you'll be fine:roflmao:

Charlottex

sarah7
26-02-09, 20:21
Well in the end I called my doctor today, I was getting all worked up over it, he said I could split it in 2 and take half in the morning and half at night. Just taken the first half, still a bit worried (but my doctor promised I won't die) so fingers crossed :)

chbun
27-02-09, 11:28
How did it go? I thought about you!

Charlottex

sarah7
27-02-09, 20:48
Thanks, thats nice to know :)

Yeah it went ok, took the second half this morning and another half tonight... I feel so much better for it. Dunno what I was so scared of now!

Sarah

nikkinik
09-03-09, 18:07
Hi Sarah,

are you still taking them?

Ive had these in my cupboard for about 4 months now.. Im so scared to take them! Like you I also have low BP so Im worried theyll lower it more and make me faint.. the pharmasist also told me to tell my GP it may be best not to.. then I told my GP and he just rolled his eyes!

My fiance also took one today and tells me he felt like he was going to poo in his pants as they seemed to mess with his stomach.. and my stomach is already nervous and tense at the best of times!

Its funny how anxious I get just thinking about taking one.. and when I take tablets other than nurofen I go into a panic!!

Hows it going for you?

xx

m4rk
09-03-09, 19:06
HI

I have been taking Propranolol for about 6 weeks now and it does seem to help, although I think you adjust to them. I didn't have a panic attack for a month on these but then had a bit of one. I've just been back to my doc and he suggested I took more.

I am on 1 or 2, 40mg, 3 times a day. I have only been taking 1, 3 times a day but he now wants me to take 2, so that's what I am going to do.

I hope it goes well for you sarah.

Mark

sarah7
09-03-09, 20:42
Thanks mark, I hope it goes well for you too :) I'm seeing my doctor again tomorrow now my 2 weeks worth has almost run out, not sure if they'll be represcribed or not, I kinda hope they will.

Nikki, yeah I'm still taking them, and I feel quite a bit better for it. I was absolutely terrified at first, but they really do help. Like you I was getting so anxious about taking them!
I was obsessing over my heart rate and BP at the beginning, but nothing bad has happened with either up to now, and I'm pretty sure it won't.
I also get a really nervous stomach, the slightest thing that stresses me out causes that, but I've definitely noticed a bit of a decrease in that since taking them, it certainly hasn't made it any worse.
The big thing for me was cutting them in half and taking them one in the morning, one at night. I find knowing I'm only taking 20mg at a time rather than the full 40 makes me feel so much better about the whole thing.
I'd give them a go if i were you, maybe just cut it in half, how many mg are your tablets? :)

Hope I've been of some help
Sarah x