PDA

View Full Version : The Fear is back!!

Vinny
26-02-09, 08:56
Hi Everyone

I've tried really hard to cope on my own and not post on this site for the last few weeks but I'm really struggling at the moment.

I'm a 52yr old female and have an on going fear of throat and lung cancer. Any sign of blood in my mouth sends me in complete panic!! I've had various tests done and everything has come back clear but still the fear grows and grows and the disbelief sets in.

My question today is......has anyone had their gums bleed for no apparant reason?? I was bent over the wash basin last night washing my face, when I lifted my head back up and looked in the mirror there was fresh blood on my tongue, I was completely panicked and began to shake. I then looked in my mouth (I was so scared that the blood was coming from my throat) but one of my front teeth had blood around it so I guess it had come from there. This particular tooth has a crown on it and I just wondered if any of you noticed that "crowned teeth" bleed more easily? My teeth bleed a little bit when I brush them but have never bleed at any other time. I know this fear may sound silly to some of you but I'm so, so scared and can't understand why just bent over washing my face would cause my gum to bleed. I would really would love some reassurance from you guys. xx

leah22
26-02-09, 09:05
Visit the dentist my mum is 50 and she has started to have a few problems with her teeth and gums this year (nothing serious) may just be an age thing, but i know its hard for us health worriers to accept it but rather than go docs worrying about cancer go to the dentist and ask his advice prob just have very sensitive gums! x x

Vinny
26-02-09, 13:43
Thanks for your reply Leah.

I'm still so worried. Does anyone else have some reassurance for me?

RosieXXX
26-02-09, 14:04
Hello Vinny,

I think it is very likely you have a little bit of irritation around the gum where the crown fits, which could be causing some inflammation; gums can bleed very easily especially when there is some inflammation - you could have easily bumped this area when washing - or it may have been disturbed before when eating perhaps.

I know what it is like to have these set backs with ha - i am always on the edge with my breast cancer worry - and it doesn't take much to set it off. I am absolutely certain you have no need to be concerned about the blood in your mouth, which i am sure came from your gum.

Vinny
26-02-09, 15:49
Thank you Rosie, you and Leah have made me feel so much better :) x

indigo
26-02-09, 15:58
Hi I'm 33 and my teeth bleed sometimes for no reason which freaks me!!! My tongue has also bled a few times which was so bizarre. I called the doctor in a right state, she told me to go to the dentist, i went which cost me £60 and she told me everything looked fine!!!! I had the tooth thing happen to me in the car the other day. All of a sudden i could taste blood, i was so scared. I stopped the car and investigated. It stopped as quickly as it had started and i think i remember running my tongue around my mouth before hand so i think i may have dislodged some food or something......very scary though. Saying that, i am not really sure why it scares me!!! I hope you're feeling better :)

Hollytree
26-02-09, 16:21
Hey there, my gums bleed for no reason at all, i know its hard not to worry about it. My advice is speak to your dentist and also doctor to help with any reassurance.

Hugs xx

anxious_88
26-02-09, 16:54
Gums bleed all the time for no reason. Sometimes it's because you brushed your teeth too energetically, or sometimes it's because you have sensitive teeth or they need flossing. Your gums can just be sore from eating rough food or from not being brushed properly. If it's only happened once it's definitely nothing to worry about. If it happens again just go and see the dentist. My boyfriend's gums used to bleed every time he brushed them so he went to the hygienist and got them properly cleaned and now they don't.

Relax!