PDA

View Full Version : panic attack at the doctors

claire m
26-02-09, 13:55
Something awful happened to me last night whilst waiting for my appointment in the waiting area of the gp surgery i started to get that awful panic feeling. i had my head in my hands which i find comforting. but i could feel myself getting hotter and hotter, i stood up to walk out as i felt i couldnt deal with seeing my gp at that precise moment in time, when my name was called.
I did go in and see my gp and explained to him i wasnt feeling too good and would like to go. he asked me to stay a while and i did we had a chat and the anxiety started to subside he has stopped my citalopram and i have to go back tomorrow for some new meds and another appointment. but now i feel really embarrassed to see him after yesterday, I fear i will start to panic again.
how can i find the control to keep myself together?

belle
26-02-09, 14:09
How awful for you.
In your case i would do this...
Okay, so you panicked...this won't necessarily happen again. IF it does, no one is holding in that waiting room, you can leave at any time you please. Just get up and go.

This is something that i have convinced myself of when i go to the hairdresser!!!!

x

valleybear
26-02-09, 14:20
That is such good advice Belle...couldn't add to it. I have got through so much by telling myself(and believing )that I can walk away/out from a panic situation. It may not ever happen at Drs again and there is no need to feel embarrassed Claire. Good luck tomorrow.xx

tayside lassie
26-02-09, 14:44
claire i have done this a few times myself the feeling so overwhelming i just had to go then phone docs when i go home ... i can only suggest you take someone with you family/friend someone who you feel at ease with .. my oh or daughter come with me and it helps me a lot .

and please don't feel embarrassed you done nothing wrong ..good luck for tomorrow

Wenjoy
26-02-09, 16:11
I had a PA in the drs last year - started off coz it was boiling hot day and I hyperventilated in a busy waiting room so had a full blown PA in front of my dr who sat me down and made me breathe in and out of a brown paper bag - I then dissolved into floods of tears of relief (can you imagine a 48 year old woman doing that when I am always the smiley one!!!) Anyhow he sent me for CBT which helped a bit but now I just use this site and try to accept my PA no matter how bad.Wenjoy x

sMINT
26-02-09, 18:07
This happened to me last week. Was sat in the waiting area panicking REAL BAD. Never before have I felt my heart beating fast so this was a new symptom to add to my attacks.

The doctor being 30 minutes late really didnt help.

Youd expect a doctors to be quiet with everyone ill, but nooooo. Everyone seems really happy there for some stupid reason all talking loudly. This spins me out with loads of different conversations going on around me.

Cant really add to the advice everyone has given but hope the next appointment goes well, Im sure it will :yesyes:

Kaybee
28-02-09, 12:46
Same thing happened to me once.. and by the time the dr. had a chance to see me panic.. it had subsided.

Don't feel embarrassed, that's what the Dr. is there for! I had to be taken off citalopram because they made me dreadfully ill... I wish you all the best on your next appointment.

claire m
01-03-09, 12:37
hi thanks for all your replies i did make it back to the docs, i am pleased i went i told him i was embarrassed. he was lovely.