PDA

View Full Version : Strong Sense Of Smell???

DCJuggler
26-02-09, 16:59
Hi guys & Gals!

I suffer from rather extreme health anxiety, pretty much anything sets me off!

Just recently as apart of a project for work i ended up watching a documentry and there was a person suffering from MCS (Multiple Chemical Sensitivity)...

I suffer from chronic migraines (it's there, all day, everyday) and as some of you may know, migraine sufferers have an increased sense of smell.

It never bothered me much up until that point...but after watching that documentry..oh god, what if i have that? i suddenly became more aware of smells around me...i forgot about it for a few days...but then i smelt something and of course it brought that memory back, so my worry got worse, sense of smell got stronger...

A few days ago i woke up with major anxiety (couldnt breathe, dizzy etc) and noticed i could smell pretty much -everything-...this set even more anxiety off and over the last few days my sense of smell has just got even stronger, i went to my doctors about this (didnt mention the documentry/ms), just that i suffer from anxiety and i'm getting a very strong sense of smell, he thinks that it is just the anxiety as it heightens all the senses, pretty much to caveman days...as if i was hunting or something...but the thing is, i sometimes feel semi-relaxed, not completely...but not overly anxious, but the sense of smell is still really strong??? and pretty much any smell can set me off into another panic attack.

Could this really all be from the anxiety? am i going insane? i need help!

roflo2173
19-04-10, 21:50
Wow! We may have the same symptoms...though truly, they are symptoms of...what?? Yup I can smell everything to the point of panic attacks.

I, too, have an extreme sense of smell. I can not stand walking through malls/stores with cologne/perfume areas. I dread going on airplane/train rides cuz I don't know with whom I'll be sitting!! Everything that I wear is unscented--deodorant, lotions, facial moisturizers, soap, sun block. I can't even use house cleaners or the smell will drive me literally crazy.

My doctor prescribed me some Xanax. Apparantly, the supply she gave me was supposed to last me the whole year...I used it up in 2 months!! And I thought I was doing well! I then ended up trying Cymbalta--for a week. Yuck! I couldn't eat, sleep, nor function well at my job! I just stopped taking the darned medication. It was supposed to help prevent my migraines, btw. This was about a month ago... I haven't been on ANY medication since.

I'm not cured by any means. I still can smell anything and everything... the worst part is that I can taste what I smell. I just "deal with it." I did mention Multiple Chemical Sensitivity to my doctor, but she's never heard of it. If I get panic attacks get worse, she'll giving me a psych reference. Hmmm...

afraid to breathe
05-08-13, 23:50
I can totally relate! I was diagnosed with Multiple Chemical Sensitivity in 1995, and it's been a challenge through the years. My husband tells me I have a nose like a dog's, and people tell me all the time "I don't smell that" which leads to my anxiety getting worse at times wondering if it's all in my head. I know now for sure it's not - it's a real illness. Seeing your posts helps me to remember I am not alone in this "smelly" world. Thank you.
afraid to breathe