PDA

View Full Version : Not sure I'm seeing things right, scared

phoebe
26-02-09, 20:41
Hi,

Sounds bonkers I know, have suffered from OCD for years but for the last couple of weeks seems to have gone to a whole new level, not the usual checking of things or germ fears that I've had before, this is weird....

For example before I go to work, I double check (actually quadruple check) my straighteners are turned off, which although annoying wasn't too bad, I have actually started to laugh at myself (therapist said this is good)when doing it, however recently its like I'll look at the plugs on the floor and its like my eyes won't send the message to my brain to tell me the plugs are on the floor, I realize how bizarre this sounds but so hard to explain.

Or I'll be reversing in my car and looking in the rear view mirror but again its like I look but my brain won't say 'ok your eyes have looked and your all clear to reverse', its like my brain won't believe what my eyes can see (ok now I do sound bonkers!)

Its not all the time, just seems to be with the things I used to check with my OCD like the plugs. I think the reversing thing maybe due to fear of runnign someone over (have this fear that I might run someone over and not realize it!)

Anyway my therapist has explained that anxiety comes in all weird ways, am due to see her next week, so am hoping this is just another weird anxiety thing, on the other hand am starting to think am getting some weird mental illness.

Would REALLY appreciate views/reassurance.

Thanks for reading.

Phoebs

xx

AntiLove_SuperStar
26-02-09, 22:05
All mental illnesses are kinda "weird", in that they arn't classed as "normal" ;P

Sometimes OCD can get very very trying for the sufferer, and new "twists" develop! It sounds like you panic about it and freeze? I'm speculating..I just know when I get really worked up, I go a bit trance-like and don't "take anything in", so to speak.

Has anything happened in your life that would make you more anxious than usual?

Its great that you have a therapist, and she is so right about anxiety, it comes out in so many ways - I have a time obsession that rears up occasionally, where I get obsessed as to whether or not I am "perceiving time correctly"..whatever that means. Sometimes I am convinced there is "someone there" when there is not. Sometimes I ascribe human qualities to inanimate objects, and get concerned a jacket or whatever is uncomfortable because its folded the "wrong way". This is when I get very wound up, usually when I'm tired as well. Silly brain!

But I'm fine and you'll be too :) . Keep on talking to the therapist. They've heard it all - they will never be shocked.