PDA

View Full Version : Confidence Issues

i hate panicking
27-02-09, 02:07
Hi All,

I don't really post that often as I'd rather reply to peoples posts,but here goes!!!

Basically I suffer from panic attacks a bit of health anx and lately I have been having confidence issues(I know I sound pathetic:blush:),to be honest I think it all stems from the panic attacks.

I've been getting down about it any advice is welcome:)

mickh555
27-02-09, 02:18
You dont sound pathetic at all.Anxiety is bound to knock your confidence.What i can tell you for sure is when your anxiety has been sorted your confidence will be higher than before.

i hate panicking
27-02-09, 02:20
I hope so...Just not liking myself much at the mo:weep:

freakedout
27-02-09, 11:17
Hello ihp,

Sorry to read how you feel. I think panic attacks and the fear of having them does make us lack confidence. You feel scared, anxious and self conscious which is not good for your self-confidence. You do not sound pathetic to me either, it is real and it is difficult. Having said that pathetic is one of my favourite words for describing myself so I can relate to how you might feel that way.

I am not sure there is anything I can say in the way of advice but I know where you are coming from, I understand.

Take care
Freaky

i hate panicking
01-03-09, 03:19
Thank's for the replies...Just wish i could be more confident,I just don't even like looking in the mirror anymore without thinking :frown:.

chaoticM
01-03-09, 10:20
I get the same way. Mirrors are the worst!

What you have to remember is that you're being your own worst critic. If you're anything like me, then you're immediately looking for problems rather than taking an objective stance on yourself. So you're bound to feel bad. It's a vicious, downward slope -- you feel bad, so you judge yourself harshly, which makes you feel even worse, which makes you judge yourself even more harshly... What you've ended up with is an extremely distorted view of yourself.

I know it's far easier to type than do... but if you can stop worrying about things then you'll find you enjoy situations and cope with them better -- which in turn increases your estimation of yourself, allowing you to enjoy situations even more and cope with them even better...

Have you tried meditation? It doesn't have to be too involved -- just lying down in a quiet room, breathing slowly and counting down from 300 can work. Although there are various self-hypnosis tapes (Paul McKenna, etc.) that can really help.

If you can get into a nice, relaxed state, then look at yourself in the mirror, you'll find that you like what you see a lot more.