PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing / throat problems / Being strangled!

nomorepanic
21-07-05, 22:28
Hi all

The reason I am posting this is to try and reassure people and explain a few things.

I replied to a post a long time ago about having problems swallowing (see previous post at MORE HORRID SYMPTOMS!!!! (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1957))

I haven't had the problem with swallowing etc for a long time but this week it has come back with avengence.

I feel like someone is strangling me and I find it hard to swallow and even have a sore throat. I can't seem to get food down my throat and it feels as though it is sticking.

Does this sound familiar? We have had loads of recent posts about this so I thought I would post this.

Now there is a reason for this coming back. I am quite stressed this week over some driving issues that I have and the long drive to the meet-up last week-end really shook me up. I am also feeling dizzy so that to me is a sign of anxiety as well.

I KNOW that this is just a symptom from that.

It can't hurt me and it will go away when I calm down. I am not dying, I don't need cameras down my throat and it is NOT throat cancer. I will be able to eat properly again very soon.

It is just anxiety and a bit of stress and IT WILL GO.

In a week or so I will post again to tell you that it has gone but I just wanted people to realise that I know how horrid it is to have these problems swallowing but they do go and they will go like mine will.

I hope this reassures at least someone that has similar issues as I know it is hard to cope with but I am not letting it worry me I am just accepting it is anxiety and it will go once I am calmer.

Not sure if this helps anyone or not but I hope so. In time you learn to live with the horrid symptoms and accept them for what they are and not panic every time they re-surface.

For what it is worth, sucking sweets or chewing gum helps me.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

EmmaJane
21-07-05, 22:40
Im sure this will help reassure many people Nicola. Thank you for posting this

Feel free to PM me, if you want to talk.

Emma xx

Keep focused, keep positive.

alexis
21-07-05, 22:42
hi Nicola. I am so sorry you feel bad and yes the first thing I have to agree is the "meet up" was hard but fun too I may add.
It has raised my anxiety levels off the scale too and I did not have the travelling problems you had.
As I replied in another post tonight, I too had throat problems but once on the road to recovery you do not get these horrible thoughts, the problem may re occur but you know it is only anxiety.
really Nicola Im just seconding what youve said and sending you love and hugs for each day to get better for you, love Alexis,xx
PS xxxxxxxxxxx from piggy

dizzydruid
21-07-05, 22:44
Hi Nicola,
thanks do much for your post, it is so reasurring. I am currently trying to let it sink in that my food sticking in throat/lump in throat stuff is anxiety related. I dont seem to have the problem half as much but I have to remind myself daily that when I do get these symptoms it is due to anxiety. your post has given me hope that as long as I keep focused and remind myself that anxiety causes these symptoms then I dont need to worry about it and learn to live with it :)

lucy x

helen__w
21-07-05, 22:55
Hi Nicola

Thanks for your post, I'm sorry you are having a bad week - I hope you feel better soon.

I am very new to anxiety so what I am experiencing is new and quite scary as it is not familiar, but reading your post makes me realise that I can learn to live with it once I recognise the symptoms as anxiety.

I'm just glad I found this website as it is nice to chat to people who understand and who give great advice and encouragement! :D

Thanks again

Helen x

Sue K with 5
21-07-05, 23:23
Hi Nic !

The fact that you recognise these symptoms as anxiety and stress is so brilliant and is also very reassuring, I know at tims I send myself round th bend thinking the worse, but everything you have written is so true.

I hope that the throat eases off during the next few days and that your back on chat with your usual confidence and support.

I have had some really happy times on this site recently thanks to you and the other guys and it feels like I am a little family of people who understand and that's all thanks to you

So keep going girl!!!!

Love

Sue with 5

scknight

Piglet
22-07-05, 09:33
Hi Nic

I had this one too last year when I was suffering with my stomach/heartburn indigestiony thing and didn't like it at all.

piglet feels sad for a moment remembering the horrible throat thing.

Hope it passes quickly.

Love Pigxx

kairen
22-07-05, 09:42
Hi Nic,

Thanks for post i'm sure it has put alot of peoples mind at rest. sorry to hear your feeling stressed, you did really well with the drive, and on your own too, i have no problem with driving but think i would have been a bit funny too coming all that way on my own,

hope you feel better soon,

big hug

see i can do big and colour now yeehaaa cheers Alexis,

kairen x

seh1980
22-07-05, 10:32
I have had this the past week too Nic - BUMMER!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

mumof4
22-07-05, 10:41
hope u feel better soon nic i get that when im really stressed and i know its nothing.

mjh74
22-07-05, 12:50
Awww Nic,

I hope it goes a lot sooner than later... Living with this damn throat thing is horrible. When yours has gone it may help me feel a bit more confident that mine will fully go rather than be there in varying intensity every day.

Best Wishes!

Mark x

nomorepanic
22-07-05, 18:44
Ahhh thanks guys for some lovely replies. I appreciate them all so thanks for thinking of me :D[^]

Throat is still bad today and I am constantly swallowing and trying to clear it but I am sure a few of you know that feeling. It is not worrying me as such but it is annoying. There is no point letting it get to me cos then it makes it worse.

It will go, it has done before so I just stick at it and remind myself that it is anxiety that is all.

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for your support and kind words.

Catch some of you in chat later :)

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"

florence
22-07-05, 19:37
Hi Nic

Sorry to hear about that... I am amazed how positive you remain still, which is great and it gives a message of hope to whoever reads it.
You're having a bad time but still, in your post , you're trying to reassure others which I think , is remarkably compassionate from you.
You're a star, god bless you.:)
Hope you'll feel better very soon.

Florence.

**Every tomorrow has two handles. We can take hold of it with the handle of anxiety or the handle of faith. **

Karen
22-07-05, 19:38
Sorry you've been having a bad week Nic.

It is good that you are able to recognise that these throat symptoms are due to anxiety, even though they are still annoying.

Hope this passes and you are soon feeling better.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

henri
23-07-05, 10:12
Hi Nicola,
I think it's amazing that you can be feeling the horrible throat thing and still be calm and positive about it. it's an inspiration to us all!
hope you're feeling better
henri xx

Sarah-Jane
23-07-05, 10:48
Thanks Nicola you are soooooo brave, and i know the symptoms are not nice and scary. Inspiration to us all. i think deep down we all know the rational side of anxiety and panic, overcomming it and with thoughts being so strong sometimes not so easy.

Well done nicola xxxx

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

sadie
24-07-05, 10:59
Nic,

Good for you for realising that your symptoms are nothing more than anxiety and the reason why they are here......

I hope your drving trip is fine and dont stress too much.

I too get the throat/choking sensation on and off and I know its all down to stress and incorrect breathing..... it does pass though!!!

Take care

sadie

nomorepanic
24-08-05, 21:17
Just a quick update

Sore throat is no better and still got the swallowing issues. Making me gag at times but I bet a few of you on here know that.

Anyway I made an appointment with doc today and I like to get one as late as possible so I can go after work. If I go in the day then it is 1.5 hours round trip from work and all the early appointments (8.30am) go quick as well.

Well the first appointment I could get was 20th Sept!!! Great eh?

I am hoping the sore throat has gone by then as that is specifically what I am going about as I have had it so long but we shall see.

Let's hope it just goes away cos I really don't want anti-biotics!

Will post again when and if I ever go lol!

Nicola

Piglet
24-08-05, 21:35
Well I hope you feel better before then Nic - what a long wait!!!

Love Pig x

helen__w
24-08-05, 21:59
Hi Nicola

I am sorry that your throat is no better and that you have to wait so long for a doctors appointment!

I will be thinking of you as I know how you feel and I hope that it goes before you have to see the doc

Take care

Helen x

kate
24-08-05, 22:14
Hi Nic,

I also get the gagging and sore throat.

I find that the sore throat is due to continually trying to clear it and just being aware of it all the time.

kate xx

mjh74
24-08-05, 23:19
I've got the sore throat thing as we speak. It's almost like a bitter sweet, sickly ache above my Adams apple which I get when I swallow hard. Swallowing hard tightens my throat up so much until it has momentary spasms and I almost gag. I know exactly when it's going to happen though JUST after my subconcious has started it off. Bizarre....

Hope it settles down soon Nic!

Best Wishes,

Mark x

kerrywatts
30-08-05, 19:57
I'm soooooo pleased to read this!! A few months back, i'd gone to bed with a sore throat, felt like lump in my throat. couldn't sleep and felt if i laid on my back it would choke me, if i laid in my side i couldn't breath. In the end i rang NHS direct (at 2am!) and by the time they rang back i was FINALLY asleep (woke me up!). the next day my hubby was working 7am til 8pm and i was home alone with the children (something that makes/made me worse). I was petrified cos i honestly felt i had something lodged in my throat. I even tried sticking my fingers down my throat to throw it up (and i have a phobia of sick!) - NOTHING!! Needless to say i survived (once i'd calmed down it eased off).

Anyway, on Saturday i went into town with Hubby mid morning ( a HUGE no no for me - its a small town so always looks busier than it is!), we didn't have our son with us (only daughter in buggy) so decided to have a mooch round a few shops. When i entered town i felt like i had a sick lump in my throat, within half hour it had become worse and i resorted to a safety behaviour and brought a bottle of water (even thought i wouldn't have drunk it for fear of making me sick!). We queued in the VERY busy post office (note to self end of month is pay day AND tax for cars!! AVOID!) and i felt horrid. It dissappeared almost as soon as we left town although this was not noted by me til much later. That night i was sat in bed and felt it again, asked hubby if he thought i had throat cancer and maybe i should go to Doc to have a camera shoved up my nose and down my throat (which would make me sick!!) and he said don't be silly you're fine. Looked up throat cancer on the net and NO i do not have ANY of the symptoms!!!

I now KNOW it was an anxiety thing and i think its from when my throat/mouth gets dry you get that feeling.

HOPEFULLY in time it will go altogether. For now i curse my mum for telling me that sucking my hair (when i was a kid) would create a hairball in my throat that if i kept sucking my hair would block my throat!!! Good old parents!!! :D

Kerry

http://frankielampard.proboards55.com/index.cgi

nomorepanic
30-08-05, 20:34
Kerry

It is very very common and a few of us on here are suffering with it at the moment.

I still have a sore throat so will see what doc says about that.

It is good recognise that it is just anxiety though.

Nicola

mjh74
30-08-05, 23:32
That is exactly how I get it kerry and I too have a phobia of vomit (am attending CBT for it at the minute).

It's amazing how coming back to your comfort zone can relieve it so quickly but then it can reappear from no where and cause you just as much distress at home!

The pattern I experience is.... if I'm feeling ok and I go out and deal with it, even though I'm feeling anxious and my throat feels strangled, I carry on trying to ignore it as best I can even though there is a certain level of anxiety (sometimes a lousy level!). Coming back home to the safe zone relieves those symptoms greatly. However, if I'm already at home and get those symptoms, there is no safe zone to go back to, I'm in it and it's then I realise I have to find that safe zone in me.... Something that others have mentioned on here....

Just an observation of my own anxieties behaviour,

Mark

Hales
03-09-05, 21:50
This forum is great for understanding each others problems with anxiety.. I too, have the throat thing, where something feels like it is stuck in there. There's no pain, but it so annoying that all you can do is think about it all the time. Finally when your mind is on something else you realise its gone. I have been to my GP with different symptons of anxiety on several occasions, and now I feel like I am just a nuisance.

But you guys listen, and thats so good!

Hales :)

Gary Numan
06-09-05, 11:46
Hi all.
I must admit I was quite happy to see this subject matter as this is something I have had on more than one occasion I have and its one that really gets on my nerves big time.
I never seem to get this for a few days or weeks when I get it I get it for very long periods I have it now and I can say this whole swallowing thing is so annoying it drives me bonkers at times at the moment I have had this going on for the last four months ( every single day ).

These are my symptoms I do not get these ( lump in the throat and a felling of choking ) I get nothing more than I find it hard to swallow its like my swallowing reflex has deserted me , if I sit down to eat a say a nice crusty roll for my tea with a bag of crisps and a nice cupper it can ( and yesterday it did ) take me one hour to eat.

Now while I have no sore throat and it does not feel like there’s a lump in it or feel sick it is a right pain in the backside for the last four months I have had this day in day out and it gets to be annoying more than anything else!

This is the second time I have had this the last time was 14 years ago when my children were young it got on my nerves and I had good reason to be hacked off about it now looking back ( this was the first time I ever had this ) and it lasted one year - not on an off - but every single day it got to the point everything I placed in my mouth food wise I had to take a sip of water to get it down just like taking a pill.

Thank God this is not quite as bad its been 4 months and the thing that annoys me the most is sometimes the harder I try to relax the worse it gets.

Then I saw a article on swallowing and it pointed out that these symptoms were linked with cancer , that got me thinking negative thoughts for around one hour then I just mentally gave myself a kick up the backside and said to myself come on Gary you have been here before and had it for a year if it was cancer you would not be here now , sometimes more often than not I do give myself a ****** good telling off I think that’s a good thing as who wants to go down the “oh my God” road , I don’t

So there you go my old enemy is back to haunt me and like the rest of you posting it really is the real “ pain in the neck “ embarrassing as well if you ever try eating in public !

Anyone else out there get only the one symptom like me !
All I get is ( I find it hard to swallow nothing more than that ) and I would also be very interested in if anyone else out there has had this for long periods at a time so far this bout has lasted four months , but the previous time it last a year on both of these times its been a every single day thing never on an off.

Would love to here from others about the lengths of these bouts of finding it hard to swallow.

Sorry to anyone out there if you think this post is to long [8)]

Be Well Gary

Down in the park where the Machmen meet the Machines and play kill by numbers , Down in the park with friends of mine! Down in the park where the chant is death , death , death , until the sun cries morning. Down in the park with a friend called Five.

dizzydruid
06-09-05, 14:53
Hi all,
I'm feeling so fed up. I didnt want to start yet another throat topic so thought I would tack it on the end here, not sure if anyone will read it though.
I have a sore throat :s why oh why is it always my throat that causes me problems :( Its only a sore throat and its only come on today but of course I'm already worrying it is a signal that I now will have the rest of the throat feelings to come such as the dreaded food sticking in throat one. Already my neck is beginning to feel really tender, I was told this was due to muscle tension in the neck.
Why cant I accept that its just anxiety? instead I worry its going to get worse and it will result in all the panic and worries about throat cancer yet again.
I thought things were getting better. This morning I felt brilliant I have been listening to a Paul McKenna cd which has helped me loads and this morning I decided to enrol for a college course which will start in November. Thing were beginning to look up :(
I thought I had this anxiety lark sorted in my head but obviously not

lucy x

nomorepanic
06-09-05, 15:20
Lucy

I have had a sore throat since I started this topic so I have now made an appointment for next Monday (the earliest I could get to see any doctor on any day and at any time).

I really didn't want to cos I think he may prescribe anti-biotics seeing as I have had it so long.

I am still struggling with swallowing and have been sick a few times now cos I feel as though I can't swallow properly. Yesterday morning I took a tablet and then 5 minutes later was sick as it seemed to be stuck in my throat.

Horrid aint it?

Meg suggested I get some antiseptic mouth wash and have a good gargle with that.

I hope yours feels better soon.

Nicola

mandie
07-09-05, 12:57
I have had a funny throat for a couple of days now. Its a funny pain like a tightening every now and again. I seem to be swallowing alot more and it feels like something is stuck in it. I have never had it before and its really frightening me.

Why is it just when I start to get rid of all the other anxiety symptoms something else starts to bother me.

pips
07-09-05, 15:41
Hi Nic,

Oh I really feel for you hun. I so understand.

I have the anxiety lump in my throat back [}:)]and it feels like somebody is pressing on my windpipe and I haven't experienced that for ages so it's really upsetting me. I feel very sick with it and like i want to choke all the time. Oh this has got to be the worst symptom of anxiety. I keep thinking it's more serious I know deep down it's not it's just so hard to accept hey! As you know!!!!!!!

So now im gargaling and sucking! A icepole helps a little. Sometimes just pressing my windpipe for a second or 2 helps to as when you let go it's a a nice feeling of release.

I want to wish you good luck for Monday mate. let me know how it goes. You have got to plan when your gonna be ill to get an apporintment at my Drs to! LOL[:P]

Take good care,;)

Loadsa Love,

PIP'S X X X X

nomorepanic
07-09-05, 20:18
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi Nic,

Sometimes just pressing my windpipe for a second or 2 helps to as when you let go it's a a nice feeling of release.

Take good care,;)

Loadsa Love,

PIP'S X X X X
<div align="right">Originally posted by pips - 07 September 2005 : 15:41:37</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Pips - thanks mate.

Yesh that seems to help doesn't it. Weird

Nicola

jill
07-09-05, 20:33
Hi Nic

So sorry to hear you have had a sore throat for so long.
I have been following this thread since you started it.
Its a long time to wait for a doctors appointment.
Hope all goes well and you are feeling better soon.

Always thinking of you

Wishing you well

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXXX

pips
07-09-05, 23:00
Glad it helped Nic. Yes it is weird but if it helps here's to JFDI hey!

Take care hun,

love PIP'S X X

nomorepanic
13-09-05, 11:08
Quick update ...

Went to the docs yesterday and she has done a swab and sent it off to see if I have a throat infection or not.

As for the swallowing she said to go back in two weeks if it was no better and she would see about further tests. Hmmmm not sure I want a camera down throat but will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

Will let you know what happens.

Nicola

pips
13-09-05, 18:07
WELL DONE FOR GOING NIC GOOD ON YA! LET US KNOW HOW YOU GET ON!

HOPE ALLS WELL,

TAKE CARE HUN,

LOVE PIP'SXX

Piglet
13-09-05, 18:10
Thanks for letting us know how you got on Nic - been following the tread.

How long does it take to know if you have an infection or not?

Love Piglet xxx

Canada Girl
20-09-05, 20:12
OHMY....I have so many of the same symptoms. I'm nearly in tears with relief. I've had discomfort swallowing since May off and on (more on then off) although I was diagnosed with Strep Throat twice and did take antibiotics. It never seemed to clear up though. I am on antibiotics right now and go to see an Ears, Nose, Throat Dr. on Oct. 3 as my throat was red and inflammed and my glands were up. Mind you -having been on meds for 1 week already nothing has changed. I also find if I can relax I can get through this. I am also worried sick I have throat cancer and sometimes I get chest pains too. I feel an overwhelming sense of relief that others share the same feelings. I've never had this before :( and at times I wonder if I will ever be "normal" again. I find I constantly am thinking about my throat and if it feels good/bad.

I will let you know how I make out Oct. 3.

Laurie

hypochondiamaximus
23-09-05, 21:12
does anybody feel the swallowing and throat problems with a lump in only one side of their throat? because that's the case for me [xx(]

mjh74
23-09-05, 21:25
Definitely... that lump can be either side depending on how I'm tensing my throat!

hypochondiamaximus
24-09-05, 03:25
this thread makes me feel SO much better, i really can't believe it. i've been having a great day because now i'm more sure than ever that these sensations are just anxiety!

mjh74
24-09-05, 12:32
I was so VERY convinced that my symptoms were something terrible but then whilst having a good day I thought "hmmm the lump has moved". I have so many different and horrible feelings in my throat/gullet I just try to accept them even though they still cause me a lot of anxiety....

Mark

Sarah-Jane
25-09-05, 02:11
Hi Nicola

Hows it going with your throat? hope your feeling much better??? Im so proud of you for facing this deamon and going to the doctors.:D

Ive got a bit of a cold comming i think and i can feel my symptoms escliating too. Ive just rubbed vicks over my nose and throat to try and relieve the blocked feeling which is making me feel shaky and the sore throat is not good either. Keep telling myself its anxiety and the probability of a cold on its way.

Love & Hugs from Sarah-Jane xxxx

nomorepanic
25-09-05, 15:19
SJ- thanks for asking.

Well I never heard back from the doc's so I guess I don't have a throat infection cos they said they would call and let me know if I did. I guess I could call them and double-check that it was negative.

Other than that I still have the swallowing problem. The doc I saw told me to go back if it was still there but I am worried that they will just send me off for the dreaded look down the throat and I don't really want that so I am struggling on for now in the hope that it just goes away.

Nicola

hypochondiamaximus
25-09-05, 17:15
i went out last night, and i'd like to share it with you because i hope it will give people some hope. i went to our school's first football game, which was away in a pretty rural area (medical help would take a while to reach me, something i'm afraid of). i really struggled through the first hour of the game, with my throat feeling all sorts of things, from acidic feelings to lumps that i'd swallow back down to an extremely dry mouth. but then i started to feel better and forget about my throat. i got involved with my friends and joined them in cheering and causing a ruckus. afterwards we went out and i just kept feeling better and better. when i got home at around midnight, i felt almost 100% normal! i really wanted to call home or leave during that first hour, but i stuck it out, and i advise others who feel that way to just stick it out, because the anxiety will go away and you'll find that you're actually enjoying yourself!

Canada Girl
25-09-05, 22:38
I totally agree. It is amazing how if you don't think about it for a while because you're focused on something else - you don't notice it. Mind over matter. I just hope I can forget to worry about it. Sometimes I think - wow I feel good and then I feel my throat tense up. I went for a massage on Saturday and the therapist said she could feel knots down my neck which might explain the spasms I was experiencing. I was becoming quite convinced I had throat cancer or something. We had booked a family trip with my husband and 2 kids to Jamaica for Christmas and I had thought about cancelling. I was becoming obesssed with what "might" happen down there and "what if I ran into trouble". I am going back to the Dr. this week and I'm going to have her do a proper physical with blood work and everything but as for my trip I'M GOING!! This sight is very supportive and it's great to feel not alone. Group hug everyone!!! :)

Adriana
26-09-05, 01:21
Hi.. I just stumbled upon this page on a search a lil while ago,, and thought I should come back here and make a post..

I had a very similar problem recently, where all of a sudden every time I ate I had a lot of difficulty swallowing and kept choking on my food. It got so bad that my throat felt so messed up and I couldn't eat at all anymore. My glands would get swollen and it was awful.

The doctors offered no help and told me that everything appeared fine when I had tests done. I began eating very little, and kept note of times when the swallowing was worse than others.
It has turned out that my swallowing difficulties only arised when I was eating food which contained gluten eg, wheat, pasta, bread etc..BE careful, wheat is in ALOT of foods you wouldnt expect.. like soya sauce, candy etc..

Since i came up with this discovery I have been living gluten free and I've never felt better. I don't know if you've ever considered this, but if you havent, you should really try and cut all gluten/wheat containing products from your diet. Things like Rice and corn are alright, and ther's lots of alternatives and good food to eat for people with this problem. Apparently this is a allergy that you can develop any time in your life and perhaps you've always been allergic to it, but it just got really bad lately. Please let me know what you think about this idea, and if it works for you at all.
I really think you should give it a try, because it saved my life.

nomorepanic
30-09-05, 10:59
Quick update on this ...

The doctor called me and said I had a very rare throat infection and mumbled something about not getting enough oxygen - don't understand how they tell that from a swab test but there you go.

They want to try me on anti-biotics (boo, hiss) to see if it helps - they can't be sure! He wasn't even sure what dose or strength to give me either.

Deep joy cos I really don't like drugs and these are ones that I was on last year and felt a bit rubbish on them.

Then they will see if it improves - if not then further tests needed.

Nicola

Piglet
30-09-05, 11:14
Hi Nic,

In some ways is this not a good thing, as at least you know what it is and hopefully the antibiotics will clear it.

I know its a pain but at least now you can get rid of it.

Big squeeze for being such a brave soldier all this time. :)

Love Piglet x

nomorepanic
30-09-05, 18:33
Piglet - thanks for the hug.

I just don't like drugs lol and I can't even drink on these so no lovely glass of white wine at the weekend.

I will start them on Monday I think so we shall see what happens.

Nicola

trac67
30-09-05, 18:50
Nicola,
Priorities eh, wine before the antibiotics lol.
Hopefully this will sort the problem out now, just be a 'good girl' and take them though wont you. My turn to be mum now lol.
BIG HUG
Love
Trac xx

its "just a thought"

alexis
30-09-05, 20:26
Hi nic, I think it must be a bit of a relief to eventually be getting to the bottom of what is going on in your throat, i would do same as you, enjoy your weekend and then on Monday get on them with plenty of fluids, you will be fine and feel better afterwards.
did he say talking a lot had anything to do ith it,:D(LOL),
speak later mate, Love Alexis and our pig,xxx

Alexis

Karen
30-09-05, 22:22
Hi Nic

Sorry to hear about the infection but at least you now know what has been causing the problem.

I realise how much you dislike taking the medication but it will be worth it if it cures the problem.

Enjoy your wine over the weekend!

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

nomorepanic
04-10-05, 17:38
Not good today :(

Took the first antibiotic last night at 8pm (well I actually cheated and broke it in half and took half at 8 and half at 9).

Went to bed to watch TV at 11.30 but was awake at 1am (just as Alex was going to bed) feeling absolutely awful. I felt like I had had a good drinking session and all woozy and very dizzy. Couldn't sleep all night - just lay there with the room moving. Was up and down all night as couldn't settle and was itching all over.

Got up this morning for work and woosh ! Could hardly stand up let alone drive to work so called in and told them I wasn't going in.

Alex worked at home to keep an eye on me cos I felt so rubbish!

I went back to bed and slept till lunchtime then called the doc to see whether I should carry on with the drugs or not.

Unfortunately I got to speak to the one doctor who I don't like and don't trust and he wasn't much help. The first thing he said was that the taste in the mouth on these antibiotics was horrid wasn't it? To which I replied that would be the least of my worries! I hadn't even thought about it.

I explained that I could hardly sit up straight cos I felt so dizzy and he said maybe I was sensitive to the antibiotics. I asked whether I should carry on or not and he suggested that I carried on with 2 more doses today to see how I went. If I was no better tomorrow then maybe go back and get some different ones.

Anyway I have tried to keep busy this afternoon to take my mind off it and took another tablet at 3pm. I don't feel any better or any worse yet - just keep getting tingles all over my body that then go again.

I haven't felt this bad in at least a year so I am trying to rationalise that it won't kill me and I am just reacting badly. Just wish I could get used to them quickly so things settle down.

Hopefully I feel better tomorrow cos at the moment I feel terrible and just want the dizziness to go :(

Thanks for listening.

Nicola

Piglet
04-10-05, 18:40
Aww Nic hun that's not funny.

I haven't had to take anti biotics for a very long time and didn't know they could make you feel that ill.

Will you do as he suggested and take the rest of todays dose and then see???

What does Meg think?

Big squeeze.

Love Piglet

alexis
04-10-05, 19:51
Hi mate, just spoke to you but wanted re inforce Im thinking of you and sending you a big hug and of course a non alcoholic clickaway cocktail, xxx

Alexis

nomorepanic
04-10-05, 21:33
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
Will you do as he suggested and take the rest of todays dose and then see???

Love Piglet

<div align="right">Originally posted by Piglet - 04 October 2005 : 18:40:41</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks Piglet.

I have taken another one this evening am pleased that I don't feel any worse than I did.

Will see how I go tomorrow.

Alexis - thanks for the text and the chat - I will soon be feeling better I hope and the sore throat had better go after all this!

Nicola

Karen
04-10-05, 22:37
Hi Nic

Sorry you were not feeling too good today. Sometimes the treatment can make you feel worse than the original problem at first but usually the symptoms settle.

Well done for continuing with the treatment and rationalising that this won't kill you and you are maybe just sensitive to the antibiotics.

Hope tomorrow is better for you.

Karen

pips
05-10-05, 13:15
Hi Mate,

Just caught up with this post.

Sorry i haven't replied to you sooner. I have been doing so much overtime at work.[Sigh...] I don't get the chance to use the computer much. [Sigh...][Ugh] Hubbys pleased though as he gets it more! The computer that is [:O] LOL

So sorry to hear abot your throat infection hun. What a real pain for you. Sorrry the antibiotics are making you feel like poo.

I hope now you have taken a few more things have settled down and the antibiotics have adjusted to you. I'm thinking of you and here if you need anything mate.;)[Yes!]

Hope you feel better soon.

Loasda Love & Get well Wishes,

Take Good Care,

PIP'S X XX X[:X]

nomorepanic
05-10-05, 14:05
Karen/Pips

Thanks for the messages.

I am still off work today but feel loads better than yesterday. Couldn't sleep again so I am tired but the dizziness is more of a fog now so I can cope better with that.

I am still taking the drugs so hoping they will settle down tomorrow and I will go back to work.

Nicola

pinkscrumpy
05-10-05, 15:02
Glad you are feeling a little better Nic.

Let us know how you feel later.

Love

MANDIE XX

Will I ever escape this?
Will I ever be free?
Wake me up from this nightmare.
Please just give me the key!

angieb
05-10-05, 17:28
Dear Nic

Have not been on for a while and so sorry to read your post hunny. You are just like me - remember all the fuss I made about Losec!!!!!

I have just had a throat infection too - my doctor said it will take two weeks to clear with antibiotics and a fortnight without - I went without and it did clear in about a week.

The throat area is never funny especially if it was one of your original "hot spots".

Take care and count off the days to your next glass of Chardonnay .

Angie

nomorepanic
27-10-05, 21:57
Thought I best do an update on this after so long.

Well - the antibiotics were horrid and I hated them but I got through them and not sure they helped 100%.

Went to docs and they said give it 2 weeks then go back cos they will refer me to a ENT specialist.

Anyway, since then I gave it a couple of weeks and then this week have a sore throat from hell cos I think I have a cold coming on so not a good time to judge if I am better or not.

Still finding it hard to swallow but still not effecting my eating etc so wasn't too worried but I guess I need to get it checked out.

Talked to Meg tonight and sometimes I think I go the complete opposite to health anxiety and pretend that it is all anxiety and it will go away when in reality it doesn't seem to be so I need to get it checked out.

So, will make an appointment with doc cos that will take 2 weeks then see if he wants to re-do the swab or refer me on.

Will let you know but I am just posting cos some people asked me how I was now.

Will let you know!

Nicola

Trev
27-10-05, 23:58
Best of luck with it Nic :)

Trev x

Piglet
28-10-05, 10:53
Hi Nic,

I laughed when I read about you going the other way about health anxiety and putting it all down to anxiety. I think I sometimes do the same. I finally went to the doctors last week about my sore wrist (fell down the stairs ages ago) and I'm waiting for the results of the x-ray now. I put this off for ages as so many things I get seem to end up in anxiety that I thought the intermittent pain was probably a tension thing (it still maybe).

Anyway glad you posted as funnily enough I was just thinking about your throat the other day and wondering (like you do lol).

Love Piglet :)

pips
28-10-05, 15:07
Hope it gets sorted for you hun.

Loadsa Love,

Take care,

Pip's X X X X

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 17:31
Ok an update for you all as it has been sometime since I posted last.

Well today I went for the appointment with the ENT specialist.

He asked what the feeling felt like and I said that I am constantly trying to swallow and it doesn't feel as though it goes down. It is worse in the mornings and I feel as though it is all mucus that is stuck there.

He felt my neck and had a look at my throat and said I had huge tonsils and did I get a lot of throat infections?

He asked what I was worried about and I said that I guess the ultimate worry would be that I had throat cancer even though I knew deep down it was anxiety but it had been bad almost constantly since July last year.

So he said he would put this tube up my nose and down my throat to have a look and I said "ummmmm will that hurt" and he said that it may do a bit.

Ok, I said to myself remain calm and then it won't be too bad. Don't get panicky lol.

Well he did it and it was fine - felt a bit weird but wasn't painful just uncomfortable.

He said all was clear and he couldn't see anything that worried him - phew!

He said that some people have this problem for years and then it just goes away on its own. He said that if it got painful then to go back but I have always been able to eat ok.

His best advise ? Forget about it and don't think about it and it will go.

He also added that people that suffer with acid indigestion get this more than those that don't and i do suffer with that as well.

So my throat is ok but I just need to try and forget about this swallowing problem. Maybe it will just go away now that I have been reassured. I hope so!

Nicola

Meg
06-02-06, 17:34
Wow Nic ,

You are sorting out all your issues at once !!

Very glad this came back all clear and well done for not getting uiptight about the tube thing - thats really great !

........and yes you do have enormous tonsils.

Love

Meg

Piglet
06-02-06, 19:04
My golly you are incredible.

Words fail me - yes they really do!!!

Well done mate:D:D:D

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 19:11
Meg and Pig - thanks for the kind words.

I would just like to mention that I know have a very sore nose! It is aching like someone has thumped me one :( I guess that is what happens when you shove plastic tubes up it. Definitely not one to try Pig!!;)

Hopefully it will be fine tomorrow.

I told my mum what they did and she was cringing and saying she could never have that done. Well I didn't get much choice did I [:P]

Nicola

nomorepanic
06-02-06, 19:35
Oh I forgot to mention that it is now called Globus something ?? but not hystericus. Perhaps Meg will know the word I am looking for.

Nicola

trac67
06-02-06, 21:18
Nic,

Well done mate, you did brilliant today, and it is so good to hear that eveything was ok.

So now you have to try to stop thinking about it, yes I know easier said than done[}:)]

And I am sure your aching nose will stop in a few day.

Love

Tracey xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

Piglet
06-02-06, 22:41
Oh and I was gonna try it with the garden hose until you said that Nic[:I]:D

Still think you are nothing short of marvellous.

Night night salad dodger.

Piglet xx

Dan21
07-02-06, 12:40
Hi there.

It is so strange to hear of so many people with the same symptoms as me! Reassuring, but strange.

I have had a weird sensation since just before Christmas. It feels like a a lump of something [:I], stuck in my throat. It usually hits me about an hour afetr I wake and sort of lingers around during the day. Eases when I eat too.

I have been thinking it's something indicative of a terrible illness or the like. But that small voice of reason is saying that its probably just another manifestation of my anxiety. I hope so.

Does this kind of thing last long? I read above that Nic's doctor said it can last for years[:O]

And I'm glad to hear that things went well for you too Nic.

Dan21
09-02-06, 08:46
Does anyone know how long this lump in the throat feeling usually lasts. Or is it different for everyone. I went to the doctors before Christmas and he examined my throat. He said that it looked fine, but this feeling continues to linger around. I'm 99.99% sure it is this globus condition, I guess I'm just looking for a little re-assurance.

pips
09-02-06, 12:20
Ah WELL DONE NIC you brave bunny.

I'm so pleased that it is all clear hun. I do hope the sensation does eventually clear mate. I know how horrid it is.

Take Care

BIG WELL DONE HUGS TO YOU NIC,

Love PIP'S X X X X

Meg
09-02-06, 17:09
Globus pharyngeus ?

Henry_Rollins
09-02-06, 17:16
All that I know is that it is going on in my throat. I am waking up feeling just fine, as the day goes on my swallowing problems increase. I am swallowing over and over again until my throat muscles are sore and my mouth is super dry! I do not know how to stop, I have tried everything!

Sucks!

[V]

nomorepanic
09-02-06, 20:02
Dan - he told me it could be up to 2 years for some people. I am on month 7 now and it is even worse this week since seeing him.

Meg - yes that sounds like. Why did they rename it?

Henry - he said it won't go until you stop thinking about it - hmm easier said than done I know.

Nicola

Henry_Rollins
09-02-06, 22:32
My throat is fine when I wake up. I am super dehydrated from mouth breathing in my sleep. I seem to get worse as the day goes on and it is at it's worst late at night. I feel the lump. I feel like my throat muscles will not let me swallow + I am super dehydrated. How many of you people with this problem breathe through your mouth? I try to breathe through my nose as much as I can and it seems to help. But I am so used to breathing through my mouth it is hard to make the change.

I have popping Mucinex thinking it is mucus, but it does not help as this is most likely due to stress!

clickaway
11-02-06, 21:30
Hey, I am pleased for you Nic. A worry off your mind, so that's a result!

The only Globus I had heard of up to now was the holiday company:D

Take Care,

Ray

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Allie
14-02-06, 00:29
Hi there!

My name is Alison Price and I am 21 from nr Wolverhampton! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I came to this discussion first as it relates very closely to something I have been suffering from for just over three years now.[Duh!]
[8)] My anxiety very much focuses upon a fear/obsession that I am going to stop breathing at any moment. Even writing this down makes me realise how irrational this fear is but when you're in the middle of an anxiety episode i don't have to tell you the about the ammount of persuasion it takes from loved ones to make you feel differently![Sigh...]

[Ugh]I have fears about swallowing food/drink, however as I know this is just anxiety and not a real threat I have NEVER failed to eat one meal as unpleasant as it is sometimes. NOT EATING IS THE REAL DANGER![:O]

[Yeah!] But still the symptoms persist?[Yeah!]

[OK]Why? Because your thought about swallowing triggers off a message in your brain that it is dangerous and you start to panic as the chemical adrenaline is realised into your bloodstream. Your body responds in several ways, by producing a thick saliva so it feels harder to swallow but most importaintly it affects your muscles in such a way that they tighten up, including those in your chest as you hyperventilate and those in your throat and jaw as the cycle of panic continues. This make swallowing difficult and unpleasant, although unharmful. :D

[Oops!]It is very common to feel like your going to suffocate and die, but trust me YOU WILL NOT! It WILL NOT HARM you! YOU WILL BE FINE! Try a few deep breaths or disrtaction therapy, such as watching an entertaining TV programme or film or simply by performing a mundane task such as cleaning your room until the panic subsides and trust me it will! Focusing on one object/ listening to calming music/nature sounds can also distract you from false thoughts. It is also important to practice anti-anxiety methods whilst you are calm so that you get into the habit of doing it if a panic should take you by surprise!

:)Obviously obsessions/ phobias/anxiety can be overcome by changing your thinking, but as everybody's experiences of anxiety is different it is best to contact your GP in order to see what course of action is right for you![Yes!]

[8D]I'm writing this after a bad day with those horrible fears and still know with certainty that NOTHING bad is going to happen! The reason why is that i am withdrawing from Fluoxetine and the added stess from this is exacerbating my symptoms[8D]

I will overcome thsi!

feege
14-02-06, 11:08
I'm a bit nervous about posting this as I don't want anyone to worry but I understand exactly where you are coming from Nic.

I had this problem for years (and still do occasionally). My dad died from cancer of the throat. I, like you, kept putting the sensation down to anxiety, read all about 'thumb on the throat' syndrome and my GP kept telling me it was anxiety.

Over the years my voice started to go and eventually I got referred to ENT and some 'lumps' showed up on my vocal chords. I think my anxiety and panic went off the scale... Eventually these were diagnosed as scar tissue, presumably from a tube that was put down my throat during surgery in earlier years.

That was in 1996 and I have my throat checked every year (which although frightening is hugely comforting). I have never really got my voice back 100% but last July the chords looked almost normal!!

The point however is that the sensation had NOTHING to do with it really! When you have problems swallowing it is muscular, tension - it's where you are focusing your anxiety - so for me it was coincidence - I had a slight real problem, panicked because of my dad and then located my fear in that place..... Bingo!

I still get the sensation occasionally but am able to let it go fairly quickly.

I hope you are getting used to it Nic - I think of it as if it is a strained muscle which has to heal up - it can take a long time but will ease off gently.

Hugs all round to everyone who has this problem - it's really nasty but not dangerous!

fee
xx

nomorepanic
16-02-06, 22:50
Thanks Fee

I have found that since I went to see the ENT specialist it has been even worse for some reason. I am gagging sometimes with it.

Can't get rid of it and driving me mad! I hope it eases soon

Nicola

feege
16-02-06, 23:09
Hi Nic

Sorry to hear it's still giving you grief.... it did take ages to get mine to settle properly (and still tries to come back sometimes). I think the muscles in your throat are so sensitive, they have to be.... I really used to find massaging my upper chest round the collar bone helped (have i said this already? lol) and making sure my head was supported took the pressure off my neck... Also osteopathy helped, I think my neck had got all into the wrong position in the end and so I felt all my tension there. Now of course it's back where it should be, in the back of my neck, shoulders, stomach, heart, jaw (LOL!!!).... But seriously, i think anywhere for it to hang about is better than your throat...

It WILL pass eventually - I promise you... you have had it all checked out, now you just need to let it go out of your system.

Good luck hun xxxxxxxxx

pm me if you want to any time?

fee
xx

nomorepanic
17-02-06, 18:28
Thanks Fee for the reassurance and advice.

I will try those massages.

Nicola

mjh74
25-02-06, 02:02
Hi Nicola,

I've not posted lately but you'll probably remember back to my throat problems all tied in with emetaphobia that I was suffering. Well I'm just over a year down the line now and things are a lot better though I still wake up thinking about how it feels and suffer the "lump in the throat" syndrome throughout the day. The difference with it now is that I accept it's there and just chew gum to keep syliva moving, this helps a lot and makes it a lot easier to cope with. I've suffered with anxiety for as long as I can remember and have had many symptoms that have come and gone over time but I have to say this throat one is the toughest and scariest for me yet. I hope over time it continues to fade away. It just seems that any slight bit of anxiety gets directed straight to my throat (thanks to my subconcious?), I don't let it get the better of me anymore though and hopefully one day I won't have to fight it....

Mark

nomorepanic
25-02-06, 12:53
Hi Mark

Thanks for the reply.

I do try to ignore mine but sometimes it is worse than others and I struggle to swallow.

I know it will go in time just wish it would go sooner rather than later!

Glad you are doing well and nice to hear from you again.

Nicola

true11
26-02-06, 12:26
hi, i am kery and i just joined the forum today. After reading all the posts on here to do with this dreaded throat problem i couldnt believe how many people suffer with it and its not nice! so i thought i would let you know my own experiences.
As a long term sufferer of anxiety, panic attacks and depression i now all too well the many symptoms that go with it and i now know the throat problem which has probably been the worst for me to cope with. It started in september last year. I had laryngitus and lost my voice for nearly a week and was quite poorly. After being given a course of antibiotics and 3 weeks of trying to get my voice back to normal i was left with this sensation in my throat.
Its a hard feeling to describe, i must admit. Although i say its like a lump stuck in my troat, it is like a sensation of somebody having their hand loosley around my throat all day every day. a couple of other descriptions of describing it is.. wearing a polo neck and it irritating you or wearing a tie and it has been slightly pulled too tight (ANYONE RELATE TO THESE SENSATIONS) and sometimes its like my muscles in my throat and neck have expanded making me feel like i cant swallow.
I went to the doctors on numerous occassions and had my throat and ears checked and everything looked fine but january this year i could not take anymore as it felt it was getting worst and my doctor referred me to the HOSPITAL...ENT. where they put the camera down my throat. through my nose (to check that for infection) down my throat, into my voice box and right into the top of the osophegus. well! apart from my vocal cords being a little stretched (due to singing) everything was completely fine. no lumps,no nothing. On having a long chat with the specialist she finally told me that the biggest cause of this can be stress related and anxiety.
I could not believe it as i had gone in there thinking i had throat cancer or something and was in a right state. I thought well if this is the case it can only get better now i have been reassured, but no, a month later its still the same. somedays even worst. Worst of all as well i have now formed a habit of constantly stretching and pulling my neck. (i must look an idiot doing this when i am out [Sigh...] I can feel a lot of tension in the back of my neck and all across the top front of my shoulders just under my throat, so this doesnt help.
I came off all my antideppressents and muscle relaxants last year and have since been diagnosed with fibromyagia (anyone else with this) but i am seriously thinking of going back on them just to see if it will help with the throat problem (has it helped anyone out there, would love to know.)
I have to go to a voice clinic next month and then back the following month to have my throat checked again so i will keep you updated.
sorry if my post has sounded long winded, i just thought it might help to share one of my many experiences with you all. If there is anything else you would like to know please feel free to contact me as i dont think now after having anxiety, panic attacks and depression for about 20 years there isnt a symptom i havent had or learned to control and if i can be of help to any of you out there i will be more than happy to talk.
Thanks for reading kerry :)
:)

nomorepanic
26-02-06, 12:35
Hi Kerry

Welcome aboard and thanks for the info.

Mine is still there and I am trying to ignore it but easier said than done I think.

I just have to believe that it will go in time and that I don't have anything seriously wrong so to stop worrying.

Hope we hear more from you Kerry.

Nicola

true11
26-02-06, 13:13
Hi nicola, thanks for the wellcome and thanks for reading my post. i agree with you, it is easier said than done to ignore the throat problem.
when you hear that stress and anxiety is a big cause of this, its hard to believe when you feel you are not stressed or anxious. I look at my surroundings and my way of living and wonder why i am suffering. But i have learned to realise that these problems lie deep and are often not related to whats happening today (unless you have recently had problems or truma) but can be on ongoing situation of problems from your past. Again i know too well of problems in the past! From abuse as a child, postnatal deppression, OCD. right through to post trumatic stress (having had a gun put to my head) but i just keep plodding along.
I hope i can be of great help to people on here and they can be to me and i am glad i found this forum. Thankyou. kerry

mjh74
28-02-06, 00:53
Hi there Kerry,

It's a real help hearing of other sufferers experiences. I too had been through the neck stretching and feeling as if I actually had a high collar on. So much so that I used to actually check if I HAD got a collar on and forgotten. I have moved away from the "do I have cancer" scenario but that doesn't seem to help. It's the fact that I cause the feeling that I have and the worry of how bad my mind could really make this throat thing get! Still, as I mentioned in my above post, I just plug on with it now and chew gum, drink water etc. Speaking can be quite difficult at times making me feel like I want to heave but I just talk my way through that until it turns into globus hystericus which in turn dies down after an hour or two again. What a palava eh!

Mark

Henry_Rollins
28-02-06, 07:13
My neck problems greatly ceased after I went to a massage therapist and she worked for over an hour on my head, neck, shoulders and face. Wait until they grab ahold of the SCM muscle in your neck! You can feel the tension go away. You may cough a bit and you may drain fluids from your ears and sinus area that have been trapped from tense throat muscles. You may be sore for a day or two but you will thank them in the long run. Weekly massage has helped me the best! I suggest you look into it!

Now if I could get my legs to stop twitching and tingling I would be back to normal!

Henry_Rollins
28-02-06, 07:20
Here is a great website with an image of the SCM muscle and it's trigger points in the head. It also gives you a stretch technique you can do on your own to strengthen it. Once this muscle gets tense it can restrict and squeeze your throat causing the strangled feeling and difficulty swallowing. The massage therapist will actuall squeeze it during a session releaving pressure. Feels strange but oh so good!

Dan21
02-03-06, 15:10
Does anyone else who suffers from this throat symptom find that the feeling eases when you lie down?

caroline151080
03-04-06, 18:46
Hi all
I've just registered on the website after realising how many people get this 'lump in the throat feeling' and the difficulty swallowing. I have suffered with anxiety since having my daughter over 4 years ago, and has recently got a lot worse after loosing my mother to cancer earlier this year. Does anyone else find that the moment one sympton of anxiety lessens another one appears. I used to get the palpatations etc. and convince myself that I was going to have a heart attack that seems to have lessened after stopping smoking, now I am convinced that I have throat cancer due to a constant feeling of a lump in my throat and the difficulty swallowing, so I'm going to have the camera down my throat tomorrow! This throat problem has so far been the worse symptom yet with the anxiety but I am convinced I will get it sorted as I do have a very supportive doctor. I hope if others read this they will realise they are not alone with these horrible symptoms.
Caroline

mjh74
05-04-06, 10:18
Dan21, yes definitely, I've suffered with throat anxiety for the past year and a half now and have learnt a lot about things that can help it, one of those things is laying down. One of the terrible parts for me is that I sometimes find it a struggle to speak without wanting to gag. This goes if I speak whilst laying down. Otherwise I tend to chew gum which helps fight it. I'd prefer it to go of course! :)

Caroline, my throat anxiety started 6 years ago when 'out of the blue' I became aware of a lump in my throat. It got so bad it was almost unbearable but over time it totally disappeared. About a year and a half ago it came back with a vengeance and a lot lot worse. It presented itself with a full on panic attack and since I've been struggling with it. I KNOW there is nothing wrong but my fear is that I can't control what I'm doing to myself. There are many months of posts from me if you search on here. I'm dealing with life relatively well now and after 9 months out of work have been back full time for 5 months. Still fighting the good fight so to speak!

Mark

mjh74
05-04-06, 11:26
Dan21, yes definitely, I've suffered with throat anxiety for the past year and a half now and have learnt a lot about things that can help it, one of those things is laying down. One of the terrible parts for me is that I sometimes find it a struggle to speak without wanting to gag. This goes if I speak whilst laying down. Otherwise I tend to chew gum which helps fight it. I'd prefer it to go of course! :)

Caroline, my throat anxiety started 6 years ago when 'out of the blue' I became aware of a lump in my throat. It got so bad it was almost unbearable but over time it totally disappeared. About a year and a half ago it came back with a vengeance and a lot lot worse. It presented itself with a full on panic attack and since I've been struggling with it. I KNOW there is nothing wrong but my fear is that I can't control what I'm doing to myself. There are many months of posts from me if you search on here. I'm dealing with life relatively well now and after 9 months out of work have been back full time for 5 months. Still fighting the good fight so to speak!

Mark

Dan21
06-04-06, 13:48
Thanks Mark.

Its strange but my throat sensation completely ceased for about a month. Admittedly, I had made a concious effort to ignore it, but about a week ago, the little blighter came roaring back and is now as bad as ever. Felt like I was being strangled when I woke this morning.

I keep trying to tell myself that if it was indicative of something serious, it wouldnt have gone away when I tried to put it out of my mind. I wish it would just go for ever and never come back!

Dan

-----------------------------
Hold on to the thread
The currents will shift
Glide me towards you.....

pipsqueak
05-02-07, 13:41
i am so glad i have found this as i thought i was the only one ? - i have just been diagnosed with acid reflux and have done all the self help things and am also on antacid medication but now i have what i discribe as a 'bubble' in my throat - it doesnt stop me eating and doesnt affect my breathing but its just there !!
i thought i had cancer ! i was so scared as my grandfather died of throat cancer
but my symptoms match 100% what has been said on here, i will still mention it to my specialist but i feel so much better
thank you to all those people who have taken the time to add to this forum, it makes such a difference x

nomorepanic
26-02-07, 00:05
I have just realised tonight when someone asked me about it that since being off work the swallowing issue had gone! So it is related to stress, anxiety etc.

Wow I have forgotten all about it for now.

dinkydoo
02-11-07, 11:05
I must share this with you all. I have been driven mad, well nearly by this strangling sensation, and the Docs were not that helpful, just giving me medication for Neuralgia, but I am not into taking drugs, esp as they are a sedative too.
I have just got back from a Chiropractor who gave me a thorough examination and says it is tension within the little bones and muscles in my head,jaw, and neck. She has just worked on me for about half hour, manipulating various points in and around my jaw and neck, this was agonising and it makes you realise how tense you must be for it to be so painful. She was very reassuring, very thorough and she tells me within 24 hours I will notice a difference.
I feel for you all, I too have tried self diagnosis, thinking the worse etc, but it seems I have found the cause and solution. Fingers crossed, I urge you to try this route too.
Love and peace to you all.

spacebunnyx
02-11-07, 14:13
hi everyone,

i had/have this too. it started when i was really stressed out and was on one side of my throat just above my collar bone. i was so scared i thought i had cancer and the worry just made it worse. i had lots of tests and everything is fine - it is anxiety. BUT IT FELT AWFUL! like something was pressing onto the tubes in my neck. i would repeatedly swallow and then bring up a bit of food (reflux) horrible, horrible, horrible. it affected my voice too. made it slightly hoarse. but i feel much better now!

xxx

nomorepanic
02-11-07, 18:57
Just to update that mine came back again and is driving me mad at the moment - I HATE it!

lorac
02-11-07, 19:06
Sorry you are having a bad time Nicola, hope it gets better soon. Thanks for the post, it sure does give alot of us peace of mind.

Carol
xxx

Sarah Lou
02-11-07, 21:31
Hi Nicola

It's weird but I only recently suffered these symptons and as they were a new sympton, they really freaked me out! I was going through a 'good' period (no major aches and pains to worry about - such a relief to get occasional reprieve)and then the sticky throat started and I felt like everything I swallowed was getting stuck - which to me meant a potential growth in my throat and I was back on the cancer run!! (It's always cancer for me regardless of sympton, ...or sometimes a DVT!):blush:
It's a relief to know that others get this sympton (although I wouldn't wish it on anyone) and was initially surprised when I was told it was anxiety related......I was actually feeling ok at the time!!! It's never ending is it?
I hope yours passes soon....
Take care
Sarah Lou :)

honeybee3939
02-11-07, 21:39
Hi Nicola

I have never had the swallowing problem, but this week i have had tonsiltus, and its drove me mad swallowing all the time ,so i can understand how distressing it must be for you. Have a hug from me Nic:hugs: hoping you are feeling much better soon mate.:hugs:

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

dinkydoo
03-11-07, 08:22
It is such a relief to hear of others suffering from this... when I say 'this' I mean the health anxiety thing. I have had it since I was child. I was raised by a parent who suffered terribly with depression and anxiety and it seems to have left its legacy cause from around the age of five I was obsessive about my health and still am, but not just mine, I worry about my children, quite neurotically at times. I am desperate not to let history repeat, I do not want my children to be like me, but its hard at times to keep a level head.
It is hard also to keep a marriage on track, especially as this is so bewildering and frustrating for others, my husband must think I am nuts.

Dying_Swan
03-11-07, 18:45
This is an interesting one.

I don't get it quite the same - but when I'm really nervous I can't bear anything against my neck. It literally makes me gag until I'm sick. A necklace, scarf or roll-neck jumper for example.

I do have problems with my tonsils so could be that perhaps. I was supposed to have them lopped off but cancelled twice (too scared!) and am off the list! If not, I must just be a weirdo :blush:

Paenic
10-11-07, 22:28
There's one thing to do when having a tight throat. Yawn.
Yawning naturally relaxes the throat area. I actually learned this from a vocal coach, and it's widely used as a voice relaxation techique among singers and speakers.

It usually works pretty well, although learning to yawn on cue is quite hard, especially when you're anxious.
It takes a while but soon you should be able to do deep, eye-watering yawns.

sagey
10-11-07, 23:11
Thanks for this Paenic. I have a swallow problem and will try this yawn technique. I'm always afraid of gagging if I can't swallow and sometimes a sharp intake of breath through an open jaw works and I guess that it's much like yawning. I'll keep on trying.

pipsqueak
26-11-07, 22:00
i have just tried the 'yawning' ..... and it did made a difference for a while - its something i can do when I'm trying to go to sleep, but cant in case my throat closes up in the night and i will suffocate !!!
i suppose its another relaxation method and this in turn should help prove to us all, that it IS stress related ?

thanks alot and love to all

:yesyes: :yesyes: :yesyes:

Leitmotif
22-01-08, 11:27
Hi all, I'm new here, though I've had problems with anxiety for years. Though my anxiety was well under control, I moved countries a few months ago and the major change seems to have hit me hard. I found that I couldn't swallow for two weeks, and although that went away, I have had throat problems ever since: it feels like the entrance to my throat is constricting, or that someone is strangling me. I had a tumour removed from my neck a few years ago, and so anything to do with the throat makes me extra nervous. I'm so glad to read on these forums that it's a common symptom of anxiety, as I'd never had anything like it before (apart from feeling like tongue was enlarged).

elitest
29-02-08, 14:36
This horrible throat !!! I have had what i guess must be the same thing or globus hystericus for months now...it feels like theres something in my throat by my voice box like a piece of phlegm or a piece of biscuit...not really choking but REALLY irritating and my voice goes hoarse when I talk for long...seen GP hes aid ANXIETY ignored him went to see ENT specialist twice he cant see anything with long mirror etc but says better have camera down throat to reassure me I have to have general anaesthetic which I hate ! its in 3 weeks time, Im desperately hoping to make it go away as I dont like anaesthetic...so thats given me ANOTHER worry ...I am so fed up...its not there when I wake up but as soon as i think about it back it comes...also trying acupuncture and chinese herbs and massage and still feel like crap....wish I could be hypnotised into making it go away.......needless to say am convinced i have throat cancer....

sheba2
29-02-08, 14:42
Hi elitist. I've been suffering from this for the past few weeks so know how you feel. It has been gone for a few days now but this morning when I thought 'oh great its gone' i began to feel it again. So it is definately an anxiety related thing. It is really horrible but it is related to anxiety and nothing more sinister.

I'm sure the enoscopy will be fine and that it will put your mind at rest. good luck

elitest
29-02-08, 14:46
thanks Sheba2 xxx

uppy1
03-03-08, 15:56
Hi Nicola,

I am a relitively new memeber and I have been suffering with throat problems that started in October. I had been on a weekend away and suffered with terrible acid indigestion. At that time I notice raised nodules on the back of my tongue and had a panic that it was cancer. I eventually plucked up the courage to see the Doctor who put me on anti acid medication. The acid problem has cleared up, however I am still suffering with the tight throat feeling which then affects my digestion. The doctor seems to think that the problem is pyschosymatic and not something serious(we all think cancer). due to the fact that I have no problems sleeping, eating or drinking.

I am at the stage where I don,t know wether to have the camera or not(been told it's a horrendus procedure!!). Have you had the camera and did it help your mental state. I just seem to be loosing faith in anything. I like a lot of us are scared of something bad being discovered and there being no way back.

I am currently having Rekei(had one session having second one tonight), I actually feel that things have got worse not better I have been told that it takes a minimum of three sessions, I have also been told that there is no guarantee that it works for everyone.

I supposed that from the tone of my reply I am starting to feel down/ despondant that nothing will ever work(faith is waning).

Any advice you could give would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

Uppy:weep:

diablo78
03-03-08, 18:34
This horrible throat !!! I have had what i guess must be the same thing or globus hystericus for months now...it feels like theres something in my throat by my voice box like a piece of phlegm or a piece of biscuit...not really choking but REALLY irritating and my voice goes hoarse when I talk for long.

This is exactly what I have. Trust me, if you are a non smoker and young then the chances of something nasty are remote.

kdott
14-04-08, 10:12
Hey everyone! Wow reading everybody's post has made me feel a ton better already. I too have been suffereing with the feeling of being strangled for 3 months now, but for me it get's worse when i lie down. Therefor making it hard to sleep, and cutting into my life. It really came out of no where for me just one night it happeend. Some times i have it for as long as 3 days, then seems to disapear for 4 or 5. I don't understand it?
It recently sent me into a panic attack, thank goodness my bf was around that night, he took me to the hospital and the doc gave me ativan. It does seem to calm me down and help me fall asleep, but i really don't want to have to rely on it, and become addicted.

Does anyone know of any herbel meds that do the trick? Should i get another dr's opinon?

I swear it could drive me mad one day!!!!!

Thanks,

-K

elitest
14-04-08, 19:50
This is exactly what I have. Trust me, if you are a non smoker and young then the chances of something nasty are remote.
I ama reformed smoker ( been clean 8 years) and...shall we say...mature ? I had the camera down 12 days ago, they found a mucous cyst waiting for result of the biopsy, the bugger is that whilst the original throat feeling has gone, since the camera has been down my throat is really quite irritated off and on ...I asked if it was ok to drink alcohol anf they sais yes but now Im worried that having drunk wine a couple of days afterwards and thereafter Ive given myself a whole new problem.AAARgh!:blush:

MICK DAVISON
15-04-08, 15:17
To All Who Suffer From Globus I Have Had This For 10 Years Or More . We Are Not Mad Lazy Or Attention Seeking Your Symptoms Are Real And Horrible But They Do Get Better.mine Are Worse When I Am Tired And Oe Course Stresed . Try Some Breathng Excercises As I Think Hyperventilating Makes Things Worse. Keep The Faith You Will Feel Better .....

KittyLittle
15-04-08, 21:08
I've been taking Valarina (contains Valrarian) and have found that it helps, its known as a muscle relaxant and I feel that it helps relax my throat and chest muscles

joyce99
31-07-08, 21:28
how did the indegestion thing affect your throat as i seem to have a feeling in my throat like someone pulling on it

joyce99
31-07-08, 21:30
does yourthroat hurt with your constant swallowing

marie1974
31-07-08, 21:34
u ask this every day joyce and every day we tell u and nicola has had loads of chats with u, so u know the answer to this. with all the tests u having done i cant for the life of me understand why u not asked them this question. look back though all your threads and u will find our answers the same every day joyce xx

marie1974
31-07-08, 21:40
i dont mean to sound rude joyce i know u suffer but from wot u say i know u still want answers for youself and i get frustrated cosu need to seek professional help to combat your anxiety probs hugs xx

springblossom
07-08-08, 21:06
I am glad to have found this thread. I am going crazy with the feeling of tight throat and breathlessness, so much so that I am now drinking white win every night to ease the symptoms, but this is not the right way to go!

jessicalittler79
30-09-08, 17:15
hey my name is jessica iam from columbus ohio and iam new to no more panic,,,but do want ensure you that you will be ok and ive suffered with panic attacks for 10 years ..ive have the throat tightness its very sceary belive me i it have that most of the day everyday been to the doctors for it and thay always say jessica your fine ...but i dont feel like iam i try so hard to ecape from it but no luck...its kinda funny but does anyone drink alot to see if you throat is closed up i always try to ensure my self that its not well good luck and please feel free to talk to me if u need to

worryw
27-03-09, 17:27
Hi

I am new and thought I would try this forum as a way of starting to deal with my health anxiety. I am currently in the midst of a massive throat lump/food sticking anxiety attack...horrible horrible...and of course I did the worst thing possible and googled...so now utterly panicked and imagining the most horrible scenarios....what can I do to CALM DOWN?

tdinjcp
28-03-09, 21:47
I was recently in the ER after a very small piece of dough was stuck in my throat. I'm now terrified to eat anything solid and when I try anything with the slightest texture at all it seems to stick in my throat and I feel like I can't breathe. I currently only drink liquids. I had the endoscopy procedure while in the hospital and everthing checked out ok. The gastro doctor believes I may have anxiety causing this or this disorder could be causing me to have anxiety. I'm afraid of medicines and unable to even swallow a pill to try an anxiety prescription. Its been about 5 days since this all started. I have trouble breathing and swallowing. There is a constant feeling of a knot in my throat. I read an entry on this forum that said this kind of problem will go away. I keep hoping that at any moment I will suddenly breathe better and be ready to eat solid foods. It's causing me to panic as each day comes and goes with really no improvement. Any thoughts...?

Jhey
28-03-09, 22:49
I get the lump in the throat feeling, I've only had it for approx. a week, I hope it goes away soon =\

worryw
02-04-09, 18:46
Hi

I am having a really bad bout...problem is I have not recognised it as anxiety driven after a horrible visit to the doctor today. She has got me some CBT coaching, looked at my throat and glands...but at the end of the session she said...so do you think you need a camera down your throat? I said I don't know...and she said probably not...but this has freaked me out. What is she basing her decision on...me and my uncertainty of whether the symptoms are real or not. Have been panicked ever since....any help out there?

blackthorn
19-09-09, 18:26
A big hello and hug to all with this problem,it's clear we are not alone,but thats how we feel when we can't swallow anything,as well as scared,real fear of chocking.Ihave had it on and off for more years than i can remember but over the past 2 or 3 years its become unbearable.Eating out in public is my worse time.I USED TO BE SO HAPPY AND OUTGOING.Now any friends i have left think i'm putting them off as i always look of an excusse not to go out for fear of a meal or food some where at the end of the night(or day),my family too,as i have never told anyone of my fear of choking,i suppose i don't want them to think i'm mad or waek.I should also mention that i have been diabetic for over 25 years i'm 44 years of age ,have 2 teenagers and work from home to avoid going out.I'm also new to computers and this type of comunication but it seems the only way to find out more and comunicate with fellow sufferers.Hope helps someone out there ,if just to make you feel your problems isn't as bad as mine,Who knows.Either way,good luck to us all and hope to hear from some of you.

jbrace
13-10-11, 21:33
Hi

I've been experiencing the same symptoms for the past month and I can't seem to get it under control. I've been prescribedPrevacid for acid reflux in hopes that it will take care of it and I've only been taking them for the past week. It seems to get worse every day and i'm having a hard time controlling the panic attacks. I've also been perscribed Ativan for the panic attacks but I'm afraid to take them because I have 2 small kids under the age of 3 and I don't know how they will affect me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to control this?? It's getting to the point where I'm afraid to be home with my kids by myself because I'm afraid something will happen.

Thank you

Jbrace

hazy
16-10-11, 17:09
Brilliant, just brilliant, lol you are so right.

I have come to analise every bloody symptoms and I have come to a conclusion of this lump and choking sensation in the throat. It may just be me but does anyone experience the same when you cry? I rarely cry but when I do I get the very same sensation that horrible feeling of choking, but when I stop crying and calm down so does the feeling?

I maybe talking rubbish, but for me its all about about self diagnosis and never really believing the Doctor when he says its nothing. Maybe this may help?