PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else get scared of being away from a safe loo?

chbun
27-02-09, 11:39
Hi - I was wondering if anyone else gets anxious when they are not near a 'safe' toilet. I get diarrhoea when i have a panic attack and fear that if I have a panic attack I will get diarrhoea! My biggest fear is not making it to the toilet on time. Any advice appreciated. I would like to know that I'm not the only freaky one out there!:whistles:

Charlottex

cheekycharlie
27-02-09, 13:12
Hi Charlotte,

Do you have IBS? I suffered from this fear when first started suffering from IBS so I know how you feel. Its a horrible feeling & you avoid going places. Do you take imoduim for the diarrhoea? I take this now when its bad & it stops it. I have come to learnt though that after 7yrs of IBS I have never not made it to the loo when I had these feelings (apart from when had food posioning but that wasn't IBS & I was at home at the time) You just have to try & seek the rational side of your brain & tell youself you won't ever not make it a toilet in time, even if you feel like it. Talk to your docs about imoduim (I get mine on prescription as its cheaper) & you should be ok. PM if you want to talk ok? xxxx

chbun
27-02-09, 14:06
Yes I do suffer from IBS. I take Immodium every now and then but get scared that taking it too much might do me some damage (I know rationally this is not true!) I will talk to my dr about getting it on prescription - its quite expensive to buy. I'm glad that you've never had an accident - nor have I - except like you when I had food poisioning. Do you get gurggly noisy tummy too? Mine is so loud sometimes!

Thanks for the reply,

Charlottex

joans60
27-02-09, 17:11
Hi Charlotte
I suffer with IBS as well and I have got a fear that I am not going to get to the toilet and get frightened incase I have a accident but I have always managed to get to the toilet. I get the bloated and the gurgling as well.
Apparently IBS goes with anxiety
If you want you can PM me

Joan

cheekycharlie
28-02-09, 10:36
Don't be scared of taking too much imoduim. Doc once said to me, you can take 10 in one day & it won't harm you. (might just bung you up for a couple of days!) I take it sometimes even don't have runs & just have that feeling like you said, gurgly noise & it eases it off. PM me anytime. You too Joan. xxx

chbun
01-03-09, 10:45
Thanks for the advice - what does pm mean?x:blush:

cheekycharlie
01-03-09, 11:16
private message hun. xx

Mr.B
03-03-09, 13:27
I sometimes wonder if the toilet is a safe room and not a safe toilet. A room to escape to and try to pull yourself together?

mike83
06-03-09, 23:16
I've had the same thing for years now. I have IBS but never been diagnosed with it, I'm still not sure whats safe to eat so I don't eat if I know I have to go out. I don't like using toilets either and avoid them unless I really need to go. I rarely go out now and only with parents or social worker, have no job etc so it kinda messed my life up.

susan c
07-03-09, 12:41
Hi Charlotte,

I also suffer this when I have a panic attack. I know a few people have mentioned IBS but I don't have this. When I go somewhere I have to know where the toilets are located and how easy I can get to them. I think sometimes it is the thing which encourages a panic attack as I am so scared of not making it in time. I found if I have had to go somewhere I allow myself to get a little aprehensive before I go and I always need to go to the bathroom. Once I have been I find I can relax a little about it.

I don't know if this helps but you're not the only one.

Take care

Susan
xx

Lou17
07-03-09, 16:31
I too have a fear about not making it to a toilet in time, so much so that I do not leave the house due to it. It is a very controlling phobia.

tryingtocope
07-03-09, 21:05
Im the same, was at a shopping centre the other day when a massive panic attack hit me for no reason, i always feel like i'm going to be sick when this happens (probably because thats my phobic - typical) and couldn't find a toilet! Made it outside and was fine, but that's why i always have to look out for a toilet. Agree it's a place to pull yourself together where noone can stare!

Kurukulla
08-03-09, 15:23
I've posted about this elsewhere. This is starting to control my life. Just had a weekend away in London with a friend and to be honest IBS and the fear of needing 'to go' at inappropriate times ruined what should have been a happy and relaxing experience. I starting to fear that this wil evenually leave me housebound. So fed up:weep:

Charlotte I really can empathise with you. Don't know what the answer is though honey.:shrug: