PDA

View Full Version : derealisation

AlkiAdam
27-02-09, 13:54
I think i am suffering frm this at the moment and i am having it constantly throughtout the day, I was just wondering, how long does it last for? its driving me insane and making me really ill and depressed as i feel i cant see people and stuff as i feel so weird :(

any coping strategies?

miss motown
01-03-09, 00:02
hi hun,ive had this derealisation/depersonalisation on and off for years i find if i try and keep myself busy it subsides try playin on a few games on the site ur other game sites it will distract your mind,the first time i had this it lasted for a good couple of months but now i no wot it is everytime i get it i just try and destract myself its hard i no but i do find it does wrk

bristolman111
01-03-09, 00:15
I had this problem for the first time in work several weeks ago totally freaked me out thought i was going mad until I looked on the internet

alswife
01-03-09, 08:27
I had it for quite a long time but have been free of it for ages now. They key to getting rid of it is to try and ignore it and distract yourself. I found the more i thought about it the worse it was and longer it stayed. I know how hard it is cos i thought it would never go and id be like it forever but eventually it got less and less and then went completely. Constantly distracting my mind was the only way i got through it.

BasilCat
01-03-09, 12:43
Yes this has been my main problem for 2.5 years now and I am getting less scared and upset by it. Hang on whilst I go and get the link to an article about it that I found helpful and you may too.........

http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/depersonalisation_and_derealisation.html

I am doing most things these days although the DP hasnt gone completely. It is a lot less though. As Alswife says, the more we think about it or worry and obsess about it, the worse it gets and the longer it stays. Distraction definitely helps and I try to remind myself that "It" is only there to protect me etc.

I was just saying on another post that I managed to drive on a motorway yesterday (The DP greatly affected my driving when I had the Panic attacks in the car 2.5 years ago and I wouldnt even get in a car for almost a year!). 2 Years ago I never thought I would drive again, let alone on a motorway. I didnt feel 100% but I wasnt bad enough to pull on to the hard shoulder and stop either.

Hope the article helps.
Shirley

bishops
01-03-09, 13:08
When i had PA for the first time this used to freak me out i felt i was going mad, but its VERY normal . I still get it but now understand it so i just go with it let it happen and move through it.