PDA

View Full Version : ANEURYSM

Blot
27-02-09, 18:57
Hi All,

I am feeling really concerned & freaked out by my doc & the way things work in the NHS. I have abdominal discomfort, been over a week.Saw the doc last week, he expressed concern that he "felt a swelling on your main blood vessel" so he ordered a sonar. This was last week Friday. The week has passed by with my stress levels high because an aortic aneurysm is a life threatening condition. I went back to see him today, told him that the symptoms have not eased.He said that there is nothing he can do until I have had the sonar which is scheduled for Thurs 5/3.He did not even re-examine me.I asked him if I took myself to a private hosp, would I be able to get attention/sonar earlier & he told me that it would make no difference, I would still have to wait. I feel helpless, trapped & really frightened. I do not know what to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I so need some reassurance, please help me.....

:unsure: Blot

itoldyouiwasill
27-02-09, 19:18
I had a similar experience and this is what started my health anxiety. I felt a lump in one of my balls and went to the GP. He had a feel and told me it felt 'weird' and needed to be checked out and said I needed an ultrasound...in my mind I thought I would be rushed up to the hospital for one that day but oh no was going to be a month wait on the NHS. I survived 3 days of torture and worry and in the end stumped up £200 to have the scan done on BUPA, one phone call and one credit card and I had the scan and the all clear on that very day.

If I was you I would basically rock up to my local accident and emergency and explain that you are in pain (a lot of pain) and that your GP has advised you that you have a swollen artery and that you are concerned about a possible AAA. Tell them you are in physical pain with the symptoms and also mental turmoil with the fact that you could possibly have a undiagnosed life threatening condition. The thing is a AAA is seen on an ultrasound in seconds and the scan takes seconds to do. If it is troubling you that much I would basically demand the scan and stress that you need some solace from the physical and mental anguish. All you need is some overworked junior doctor to be totally petrified that they are going to let a possible AAA walk away on their shift and you should get a scan there and then.

Blot
27-02-09, 20:06
Thank you so much for your advice. The way he spoke I felt that he could not care less whether I have one or not. I am new to the UK so I am SHOCKED at how the NHS system operates. I am more than happy to fork out the money to go privately.

Thank you very very much for understanding!

Blot:hugs:

countrygirl
27-02-09, 23:11
If the Dr thought you had an aneursym over 6cms he would have sent you to casualty straight away - I know this because I had abdominal discomfort like a strong pulling tight sensation and went to see out of hrs Dr - she examined me and said she could feel a huge 9cm swelling of my aorta ( 8cms is consindered a medical emergency) and I got blue lighted by ambulance to hospital:scared15: I was taken straight into cubicle where Dr's were waiting for me with utlrasound machine and they did immediate ultrasound and said its perfectly normal 2cms. they asked me the Drs name and they said that I was the 4th patient that night she had sent in with same things- a huge aneurysm - it turned out that she had once missed one and the patient had died so everytime she felt trapped wind in the bowel she erred on side of safety and rushed them off to hospital - this was 3 yrs ago. I have had a few futher ultrasounds for various reasons and I always ask for the aorta measurement and its always same normal.

My uncle who is 84 yrs old has had aortic anurysm for past 20 yrs and his is 4 cms and he was told many years ago that as long as it stays below 6cms nothing will be done.

So hopefully your Dr felt bowel wind and he can't have felt anything huge or you would have been in casualty like me.

And even if worst case scenario you did have one and I think thats unlikely then unless it got huge they would just moniter it anyway

Blot
28-02-09, 21:41
Thank you so very much for your info & encouragement.

I took myself off to the local A&E today. The staff were so good & thorough. They did a sonar twice, xray & consult with a surgeon. There appears to be a 16mm which is apparently common & I should not be concerned. Took bloods all were fine. I am so very relieved !

:)

countrygirl
28-02-09, 21:53
So glad your results were okay - no one would worry about your tiny bit of a blowout:yesyes:

itoldyouiwasill
28-02-09, 23:04
Thank you so very much for your info & encouragement.

I took myself off to the local A&E today. The staff were so good & thorough. They did a sonar twice, xray & consult with a surgeon. There appears to be a 16mm which is apparently common & I should not be concerned. Took bloods all were fine. I am so very relieved !

:)

Fantastic news.

Glad that a trip to A&E has managed to put your mind at rest. Better then waiting till the middle of next week in turmoil hey.

Blot
01-03-09, 19:52
Thanx for the support!

xxxxx