PDA

View Full Version : Info Needed Please...

Trish
28-02-09, 00:01
...i'm sorry for starting a new post regarding smoking but as i wanted to ask a different question i didn't want it to get lost in the last post:blush:

I suffer bad chest infections and have had quite a few since before Christmas. I had a chest xray that came back ok.

On Saturday i came down with the dreaded flu virus and of course it's gone to my chest:weep: and i'm again on antibiotics.

As a smoker of some years i decided i really needed to cut down if i couldn't 'give up' (i've tried sooooo many times:blush: ) In the last few days i have gone from smoking 25/30 a day to just 9/10....i am well chuffed with myself:yahoo:

My problem now is that my cough that was productive (before cutting down) is now a lot dryer and not so productive and i feel that my breathing is not so good because i can't get it off my chest:ohmy:

Can anyone tell me why that should be?

Thanks

Trish

Cico
28-02-09, 00:29
I could be wrong Trish but I've heard about this before from mates who have given up smoking. Apparently when you stop, all the gunk in your lungs loosen causing you a bit of breathing difficulty as your body needs to get rid of it.

I know it's not very nice to talk about but do you cough up a lot of flem?

Trish
28-02-09, 00:33
Yes but i was able to cough up more before i cut down. How i'm feeling at the moment is that it's there, but i'm unable to get it up....it doesn't make sense does it?

gtrgrl3369
28-02-09, 04:03
Hi Trish just read your post and the thing that comes to mind is that you have an infection that you are taking antibiotics for. That will cause your chest to dry up especially if you are not taking in enough fluids. If you have an infection in the chest ,fluids are very important to keep you moist. Keeping fluids up will make the cough more productive. When you quit smoking or cut down you should be coughing up the gunk that your lungs have held onto. I know this because I smoke. I wish I could quit too. Take care and I hope you feel better.