PDA

View Full Version : Im enrolling in the army how can I control my OCD

Kaz31
28-02-09, 17:16
Hello

I am new to the site, Im not even sure if this is the right place to post this but i'll give it a go anyway....

Im enlisting into the WRAC in April/May , I want to do my bit for Queen and Country. My problem is I have OCD's everything in its place and a place for everything , thats me! I hate things being out of colour sequence on a washing line and have gone as far as to re arrange my neighbours washing as it was doing my head in seeing reds or blues hanging alongside whites and creams. Im a compulsive handwasher and I know if im deployed to foreign lands im not going to be in any position to constantly wash my hands. Only scratching the surface here as theres a lot more to it....

Anyone got a solution a few words of wisdom they could pass onto me, id be eternally grateful.

Many Thanks..Kaz

PUGLETMUM
28-02-09, 17:22
:yesyes: i have no solution - but i say that going could help you with this? also you could look at ocduk and find out how to deal with your thoughts, good luck with it,im sure you will have a brill time:yesyes:

Kaz31
28-02-09, 17:27
Thankyou Emma's for your reply gosh that was quick lol. I'll give the ocduk a look see wat it says. Thx again

mickh555
28-02-09, 17:52
Hiya Kaz.Big respect from me to you for joining up.As for your OCD .The forces like everything in immaculate order,so you,ll probably be in your element in that respect.Hopefully though it will go away as you are preoccupied with your career.

Kaz31
28-02-09, 17:56
Thankyou Mickh555..Valid point u made...

Utility
28-02-09, 19:54
Hi

I wouldn't get hung up on this one because as previous posts have mentioned the forces are very particular about things. They like everything in its place and things to be done in order. This sort of environment may suit you down to a tee.

i hate panicking
28-02-09, 19:58
Hi kaz31,

Yeah i echo everything mickh555 and utility say believe me you'll be in your element i think in a way it'll help you if anything:D

Take care x

sweetpea
28-02-09, 20:54
Hi, a different view...

I don't think OCD is a 'healthy' way to be - I'm not a sufferer but have experience with a family member and see the stress and anxiety it can cause. Just because the military may have the image of precision, tidyness - 'everything in it's place' I don't think it's the same as OCD. You talk about the constant handwashing and I guess there will be times when you won't able to do so. Does that mean you'll start to feel anxious/stressed? If so, that may really affect how you work....

I would mention it to the occupational health department of the unit you're joining.

Sorry, don't want to put a downer on it... just a different perspective.
Best of luck.
x

Kaz31
28-02-09, 23:14
Hi Sweetpea thanx for your reply...My only drawback of informing a higher authority about my OCD as I explained earlier a few of the things I mentioned is just scraping the surface...there's a lot more going on besides those...I fear my application would be rejected because of this..my aim is to go into wherever im deployed and give it my 100% dedication...I was born to be a female soldier its my ambition which I want to fulfill to the best of my ability..But this problem is hanging over me an I want to find a solution to ger round it without highlighting it to the wrong people..Kaz

i hate panicking
01-03-09, 03:07
Hi again,

Well if your ambition is to be a female soldier then go for it otherwise you might regret it,all i can suggest is maybe talk to some one about it and i'm sure they'll understand:)

Utility
01-03-09, 12:34
Hi

Yes of course you are perfectly correct "sweatpea" OCD can be qiute a debilitating thing to have and I certainly don't want to under estimate that side of things.

I just think that if there is any sort of profession where this may suit someone with such a condition then the military is the one.

Kaz31
01-03-09, 17:07
Thankyou

Kaz31
01-03-09, 23:04
Thankyou everyone for the replies has helped a lot.

PUGLETMUM
02-03-09, 09:09
:) hi, yes i totally agree as fellow ocd sufferer that it isnt healthy and it can be beaten - i sort of meant the opposite to the others though - in that i felt you wouldnt have the time or opportunity to be bothered by your obsessions - i didnt mean the army would be good for you because they are ordered, i just meant that you may be too proccupied to be bothered by it:yesyes: