PDA

View Full Version : Finding this all very hard to accept can somebody help?

sam1878
28-02-09, 20:50
I have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression after an ectopic pregnancy, I had round Christmas time. I agree I am suffering from as about three weeks after this a happended I was under a lot of stress personally due to giving up smoking and a woman pestering my partner all the time all came to a head

This diagnosis came from the fact that I having pains all down the right side of my body such as breast pain, underarm pain, back and rib pain even leg pain sometimes and I have been told that this is anxiety as blood tests came back all ok but I thought I had some sort of cancer (my mum died of this) and ended up going to A&E several times for an explaination of symptoms and second opinion which one time included havign an ECG which was clear. I have even paid for a private mammamogram to be told I am ok but the thought is still at the back of my head that all is not right, I had sort of started to accept they could be anxiety syptoms after speaking to friends and family who keep reasuring me about the tests and the doctors in A&E.

My GP refered me to our Cmmunity mental health team and on my first session they were very good, again descriped the pain ect down to anxiety and said they could help me but on my second visit weds, I feel very let down by them, they just want to seem to prescribe drugs (I am already taking citalopram) Olanzapine to "calm me down" but I dont want to take them. I explained this and they prescribed an alternative (still same tyope of drug though ) and I told them that I needed some sort of rationale behind them prescribing me this other than to calm down and that I thought my GP wanted me to have some sort of therapy or CBT to help me with this. I am seeing the team every two days and on Wednesday they told me a nurse would come to see me Friday and on Thursday they rang them and they said they would feedback I didnt want the tablets and we would discuss Friday: However they sent a "link worker" who knew nothing about my history and even brought a prescription for the drug I refused and said he was not medical and just came to monitor my mood. I feel like my trust has been broken a bit that they said a nurse would be coming out and I am now thinking the symptoms are not anxiety related again, I jsut dont see how they can be and find it hard to understand

Has anybody been through similar experiences? I want to try and hold off taking the drugs prescribed but dont know what to do anymore and am at a loss, should I press my GP for further tests?

I feel like I am going insane, I work for the NHS and am off work sick at the moment but just feel I am being fobbed off as overly anxious (which I accept I am at the moment) and everything is being put down to anxiety but just dont know or understand. Some of the pain I had in my back before my pregnancy and all this happened but seems to be lost in translation due to me being upset

sam1878
28-02-09, 23:12
can anybody help?:weep:

Kaz31
01-03-09, 00:32
Omg Sam what an ordeal you have been through, Im not surprised you have ended up with depression and anx. From Xmas you have been on an emotional rollercoaster ride. Eptopic pregnancy a stalker and the loss of your Mum. I can understand why you were thinking you had a serious illness your whole body has been slam dunked from one crisis to another and I seriously applaud your decision...to not take medication. No one wants to be dependant on a tab to help them but sometimes they are needed and do help..

I lost my baby at 7mths I had been in a very volatile relationship and my then partner assaulted me ...I went into labour but was unable to protect my child because I moved my hands to protect the blows to my face...I have been guilt ridden for a long time...I went and spoke to counsellors who were as much use as a chocolate fireguard and they did nothing for me..I refused medication simply because of my job...I had no help whatsoever...

If I were you id go back and speak to the head of the Community Mental Health Team and get it all thrashed out that u are asking for help not meds an see how it goes from there...It will take time but you will get ur life back on track with or without medications..

I dont know if anything I have said here has or will be of any use to you...but I wish you well and hope you get the results you need...

Take Care

Kaz x

sam1878
01-03-09, 01:51
hi Kaz and thanks for your response I am very sorry to hear of your story and loss of your baby: hugs to you ((()))

What you have said helps, and I am grateful for your response and kind words. My mum has not died recently it was 10 years ago but the anniversary conincided with all these issues, the stalker has been causing issues on and off for two years plus my job is stressful I feel I have gone into somesort of breakdown but.....

I think my main concern is that I have been misdiagnosed and that I DO have something very seiriously wrong with me as I dont understand the aches and pains, they are very physcial and my GP is just saying everything is anxiety related which makes me insecure

I am seeing the mental health team tomorrow as I am being seen every two days, I am happy to continue with the citralopram, which I have been taking for 3 weeks now but not the other drugs whcih I think will just numb me rather than resovle the problems I am having around the acutal anxiety and depression:

Kaz31
01-03-09, 02:18
Hi Sam, Im glad you are seeing the MHT.

It really makes no difference if your Mum has been resting for 10yrs or not..every anniversary is a stark reminder of the painful loss you experienced with her passing and its a grief you never really come to terms with..

If this woman persists on causing grief then take court action against her you dont need to additional stress you have enough to cope with as it is...a solicitors letter might cost money that you maybe cannot afford but its a small price to pay for peace of mind knowing she has to keep her distance and leave you alone..

There's no disputing that people have been misdiagnosed before but you have had all tests which thank god are clear..but this much I will say...we know our own bodies and know when something is wrong...if it was a car that wasnt right it would be taken in and checked over until the fault was found and repaired...My advice to you would be...Write everything down on a sheet of paper every ache every pain from the niggles right up..hand this to ur doctor and let him/her read what you are suffering then ask outright - Are you still off the opinion its anxiety? All too often doctors have us patients think its a psychological matter...Keep going back until YOU are satisfied with the outcome...I bet its favourable and I wish u well & good luck...

Please let me know how it goes...

sam1878
01-03-09, 11:22
thanks Kaz,

When I initially was first worried about my symptoms I did exactly as you said and wrote everything down and they did all the blood tests as a result of this: It was a different dr who I saw who did the blood tests, but I have seen him since and he seems at a loss of how to deal with me, he is just very quiet and offers little advice

The main doctor whom I am seeing read on the computer what the first dr said and read out all my blood tests to me said they were fine and that it was anxiety related,

When I had the ECG at the hospital the Dr and Nurse there also said that my symptoms were anxiety related too. I just feel fobbed off from every angle

I might do the same thing with the MHT team today, the pains are not going away and coming and going: My family keep getting annoyed with me about my going round in circles with this althoguh they are being as supportive as they can be

sam1878
02-03-09, 22:09
so the team came out yesterday and I felt open to what they would say.. I decided not to take the meds Olanzapine and Respirodil in addtion to Citalopram and they were ok with this, talked about how the aches and pains I am getting are anxiety related as well and then agreed I needed some counselling and CBT.. only they cant do this, I need to go back to my GP and get referred into Primary Care counselling
they are only there to deal with the crisis aparently, so 3 month wait for counselling and CBT
Have a load of new symptoms today including IBS kicking off and hip and leg pain
I am seeing the team again tomorrow but I feel like all they want to do is pump me full of meds it is so frustrating
has anybody else had similar experiences with not only the aches and pains being put down to anxiety or the mental health teams?
I am getting a bit desparate truth be told did not really sleep well last night and kept waking up every two hours

Kaz31
08-03-09, 00:06
Hi Sam .. sorry to read theres no great improvement. Those meds u mentioned I personally know nothing about as I dont have the health anxieties...id take the odd panic attack but I can control them...its the OCD im having diffs with...Have you been given antispasmodic tabs for the IBS and can u take a paracetamol to help with the leg/hip pains? Can you approach ur GP and ask for a sleeping tablet just to help u rest. More tabs I know but Im really out of suggestions here. I hope you feel better soon. Take Care