PDA

View Full Version : Do you lose, gain or stay the same??

Rosie...
28-02-09, 21:22
Hi all,

Am on fourth day of citolopram 10mg, and am feeling sick as a dog! Even on this tiny dose feel like I have constant lump of sick in the back of my throat, and have completely gone off food (which, to be honest, I've seen as a bit of a positive! Shed a few pounds!)

However, keep reading loads of posts about ppl losing weight, but then just as many saying they gain loads... Which one is more likely to happen, and is this down to the medication itself or how people act, and eat, on them?

Can anyone advise me???

Rosie...

Mully
01-03-09, 04:17
Hi Rosie

From my personal experience on being in Citalopram for the last 7 years or so, I have not gained or lost any weight from being on it.

I think maybe it depends on the individual, their circumstances etc. Everyone takes to this drug differently, but anxiety in itself as well as depression can cause weight loss or weight gain, as some eat to comfort themselves and others don't eat at all due to loss of appetite. I have lost weight in the past when on meds, but that was due to depression and anxiety in itself. Swings and roundabouts me thinks..

I have found that sometimes it can make me feel a little sick, especialy if I have taken meds and not eaten for a while. Occasionaly i will feel a little off half an hour after i've taken a pill.. but it passes pretty quick. I try to take mine at night because of this so I don't have to go through that offy bit. My advice is, dont miss a dose, try and eat something, maybe some toast before you take your tablet. Or take it at night, by the time you wake up, your body has already absorbed the pill from your stomach..

It is still early days for you, it will take your body some time to adjust and get used to this drug.

Mully :)

Rosie...
01-03-09, 18:18
Thanks hun...

So, essentially, d'you think it's the actual eating habits we might acquire because of our conditions, rather than the medication itself slowing down our metabolisms, or speeding them up??

I find during panic attacks I eat loads of junk in a bid to feel comforted and calm down- think I have gained weight despite constant adrenaline rushes! However, on this stuff I literally have to force myself to eat- have managed a crumpet, a bag of crisps, a banana and a few cups of tea today! Will try harder tomorrow.

My GP advised me to take citolopram in the morning, though, d'you think I would definitely see the benefits if I took it at night? Or would I just be awake with sickness?

Any other tips?

Thanks again,

Rosie... xxx

Mully
01-03-09, 20:27
Thanks hun...

So, essentially, d'you think it's the actual eating habits we might acquire because of our conditions, rather than the medication itself slowing down our metabolisms, or speeding them up??

Hi Rosie..

I can't say for definite either way, as all I have to go on is my own experience. You could keep a diary of how you feel everyday, ie, when you wake up, how do you feel?, have a crumpet and take a pill, then if in an hour you feel different write it down. Keep a record of how you feel throughout the day, what you eat, drink etc and then after a week see if you can see any pattern. If you find that like me, you can feel a bit yukky after taking a pill but it passes by the afternoon, then perhaps consider taking it at night..

Its a case of trial and error, some people do feel blurgh when they first start taking meds and it may be another week or so before your system balances out.

:bighug1: