PDA

View Full Version : totally irrational fears but worried about seeking help

stressedmum09
28-02-09, 22:51
every day but mostly night time (in bed lights off etc) i get totally irrational fears of bad things happening to my little girl.
I dont know where these fears come from but they get so bad im starting to feel sick and not want to go to bed and im not sleeping properly. Plus the fact I get up about 5 times to go to the toilet in the space of an hour just because it feels like I need to (only at bedtime)

Im worried about speaking to my GP about this because my daughter was a prem baby and I feel like I have been constantly watched since she was born and ever since then!
She has no medical problems but the health visitor always finds something to refer her for!
I think its yet another irrational fear that if I seek help she will be taken away from me!
I dont know what to do if someone could advise me I would be extreemly grateful :wacko:

stressedmum09
28-02-09, 22:52
sorry just to add my daughter is nearly 5 and this has been going on since she was born and only just started to get a lot worse!

snowdrop
28-02-09, 22:57
Hi

I have similar and unfortunately its as if we get into a routine once this has happened a few times. Have you tried anything to help you to sleep, simple things like a hot bath, milky drink, no computer an hour before bed? (apparently it has something to do with the light on the screen)

I find with this and trying to follow the same routine every night I get a few good nights sleep a week which helps me get through the week.

I hope something can work for you aswell, can really relate...its such a lonely feeling at night when you feel this way

all the best.
x

stressedmum09
28-02-09, 23:01
i try alsorts but some nights nothing helps. Its fears that someone has broke in to take her away, shes fallen and seriously injured herself, she gets run over, being attacked by wasps, falling out of the window - very silly irrational fears. But they turn into things I have to make sure all the windows and doors are locked (even during the day), she cant go in the garden on her own, wont let her out of my sight, has to hold my hand no matter where we go etc.

I dont know how much longer I can keep doing it without it affecting her

snowdrop
28-02-09, 23:17
Try not to feel guilty aswell ,this will make you feel worse.

I think you do need to have a chat with a health visitor maybe? someone that is a bit more understanding towards parenting issues than a doctor?

I can understand your fear, especially if she was born prematurely. I know its tough and embarrassing at times to discuss these things but they would be completely understanding of your fear. The most important thing is that you and your little girl can enjoy each other without this constant fear.

Let us know how you get on
x