PDA

View Full Version : Poll on diazapam & twitching!

xBettyBoopx
02-03-09, 04:24
First would like to tell you a very shortened version of my story.

I am 51 years of age & have suffered with pa's & anxiety since I was 18. About 3 years ago I was taken off of 'Tranxene' which I used to take at night. I had no time to withdraw slowly as one day I just couldn't get them anymore. I went thru bad withdrawal & was given diazepam & lorazepam ( been on lorazepam b4). I started to get bad twitching, I had had some twitching b4 but not a lot. When the withdrawal effect had gone, I was still getting these twitches as still do to this day. I know that twitching is a sign of 'nerves' but it was not one of my symptoms all those years.

So now I'm wondering if it's the diazepam!

So could you please let me know if this affects you, with or without diazepam. Thanks in advance.

Elspeth

sunshine-lady
08-03-09, 19:41
I have been taking Diazepam for many years and haven't experienced any twitching with it.

ElizabethJane
08-03-09, 20:00
I'm not sure what part of your body is twitching? I have a constant 'twitch' in my left eye nothing to do with diazepan more to do with tiredness and nerves. My optician has suggested a botox injection but I'm not going down that route. The more I think people are looking the worse it gets. Elspeth is it eye twitches or whole body twitches that you are referring to?

xBettyBoopx
09-03-09, 19:36
Thank you to those who replied. I was looking for a link between meds & twitching, but mixed results on the poll so I can't tell.

ElizabethJane - I was referring to twitching in any part of the body. I get them all over, sometimes 4 or 5 at a time, it's annoying, lol.

I have had anxiety for 33 years & it wasn't until I was taken off tranxene & put on diazepam that these friggin twitches started. Yes I had a few now & again like everybody. Seeing as the meds change over was a long time ago & I still have twitching I thought it might be dizepam related. Anyway, nothing ventured nothing gained:D

Thanks again.

Els
xxx

CJH86
09-03-09, 20:04
Hi....ive used benzos on and off for quite a while and take diazepam currently, i get twitching but im pretty sure in my case it is because the diazepam is not overly effective for my anxiety unless it is in larger sedative type doses which i cannot function on properly for my day to day life...so i generally only take 5mg tablets and still twitch!

Just an idea or two - as ive read a few medical journals on benzos for my studies.......i know a little - but im not an expert in this area. Benzodiazpeine withdrawal can cause twitching which i believe can be chronic, im aware it can last a year or so but it is possible it could last longer. Ive also remember reading that long term use of benzodiazepines can cause worsening of anxiety symptoms and possibly twitching. It seems there is a correlation between you switching medication... so there may be a possibility that diazepam could be causing the twitching, how these drugs work is very complex and nothing is impossible x

k255
10-03-09, 06:34
I had occasional twitches here and there... Sometimes it stays in one muscle for few days and then migrates to another...

It sparked ALS fear and I got all 'twitchy', but visit to neurologist calmed me down and twitches went back to normal "here and there" mode...

You can read up more about Benign Fasciculation Syndrom? Seems in general, as long as it is not coupled with weakness, it is usually benign. And if you get them in different locations of the body: also benign.

What part of it bothers you anyway? That it can be a disease or just twitches themselves?