PDA

View Full Version : Has paroxetine changed you as a person?

tom1
02-03-09, 22:59
I'm just remembering my experience with paroxetine, and I specifically remember a few things - good and bad, that went with that experience:

Firstly, I had much, much less anxiety, probably to the point where I felt more level (anxiety was still present but I had no more panic attacks and I was obsessing less). Secondly the depression, the first week on paroxetine my mood lifted almost immediately, and the effect was like turning on a light bulb. And lastly, amongst the benefits were a few problems, like developing aggression, laziness, tiredness and then later some emotional numbing.

I'm trying to weigh up whether it is worth me going back on paroxetine since it had the most dramatic effect on my anxiety and depression. But, it also had it's fair baggage of problems.

Oceanblue
03-03-09, 00:34
Hi Tom,

Not sure if I can give an answer to any of those questions, because if I'm honest I have no idea if it's actually changed me as a person. What I do know is that 1st time around taking the medication it worked very well for me also. 2nd time around it didn't at all, it actually made me feel ill, (apparently it has a changed affect when taking for the second time).

I'm not trying to put you off, it's your decision if you do feel that it's best, I'm just letting you know my experience.
Have you read the Paroxetine Section to help make your decision ? xx

caren
14-04-09, 21:26
I'm just remembering my experience with paroxetine, and I specifically remember a few things - good and bad, that went with that experience:

Firstly, I had much, much less anxiety, probably to the point where I felt more level (anxiety was still present but I had no more panic attacks and I was obsessing less). Secondly the depression, the first week on paroxetine my mood lifted almost immediately, and the effect was like turning on a light bulb. And lastly, amongst the benefits were a few problems, like developing aggression, laziness, tiredness and then later some emotional numbing.

I'm trying to weigh up whether it is worth me going back on paroxetine since it had the most dramatic effect on my anxiety and depression. But, it also had it's fair baggage of problems.

Hi, yeah, paroxetine did change my life for the worse!! it split up my happy marriage...it made me feel like I could fly when I thought I was down, it made me feel like I was queen of the world, so my advise would be to leave well alone and ask your doc to pescribe you something totally different! did you see all the bad reports from america, that young kids were killing themselves because they couldnt handle coming off it cos the side effects were that bad! please, if you have to, use something else! I am now on mertazapine...seems to be working!

Oceanblue
05-07-09, 03:11
Hi, yeah, paroxetine did change my life for the worse!! it split up my happy marriage...it made me feel like I could fly when I thought I was down, it made me feel like I was queen of the world, so my advise would be to leave well alone and ask your doc to pescribe you something totally different! did you see all the bad reports from america, that young kids were killing themselves because they couldnt handle coming off it cos the side effects were that bad! please, if you have to, use something else! I am now on mertazapine...seems to be working!

Woa ! That's real sad to hear. Can most definately believe it.

Before I was diagnosed with Bipolar, I went off the rails taking these meds and ended in hospital, was an extreme patient just because of these meds, believe me it was hell.

Friends,.. family,.. everyone, saw a maniac- addicted to alcohol (read up) and had to to detox at the same time.

Funny, that I could never see it at the time : (. Still it makes me feel so sad, especially to those that i've lost.

Without a doubt, this drug works, ..Although, I honestly don't know how to explain thereafter,.. other than running into the devil.

KK77
05-09-09, 13:15
Hi
Yes, paroxetine did help me in the beginning - not so much with anxiety (I could always feel it lurking around), but did help with my depression. However, it stopped working after about a year and it was hell to come off - suffered for months.
I don't think it's worth going on because there are so many other ADs that are much easier on the withdrawal (not saying it's easy!) like citalopram, sertraline and fluoxetine or mirtazapine (if you can handle the weight gain...) and are probably just as effective. Also you have to be so careful with paroxetine not to miss a dose - l used to get withdrawal symptoms otherwise...
I'm on sertraline now and so far so good...
Good luck anyway :)
Mel77

missesdreynolds
09-11-10, 18:22
Oh yes -Seroxat has changed me - for the better!

I can cope with most things now. I dont take any crap from people anymore... Its made me feel great (infact, im wondering why I am changing medications?!)

Rennie1989
09-11-10, 20:35
I'm really sorry to hear what you have been through, but I do want to make a few points.

Paroxetine and other SSRIs are rarely prescribed to anybody under 18 years of age because of the increased risk of suicidal thoughts and attemps, but suicidal thoughts are a serious side affect in any SSRIs and they are always discussed with the patient before they are prescribed, despite the age.

I, and many others, have found paroxetine a great help. Different medications help different people. You cannot tell people to not take them because you have had a bad time with them.

Vixxy
10-11-10, 10:29
Sounds to me like bi polar anyway, which I think can be exacerbated by SSRIs

pete69
13-12-10, 19:30
Oh yes -Seroxat has changed me - for the better!

I can cope with most things now. I dont take any crap from people anymore... Its made me feel great (infact, im wondering why I am changing medications?!)

yes when i took seroxat for 3.5years it made me "not care" what people thought of me-i was rude to loved ones-i was a horrible person looking back...sure if your suffering sa like i am-having no worrys about what you say and feel around others is a complete turnaround but sometimes not for the best.

im not sure if this is just the males that have this effect? i tend to think its across the board on everyone...one point also i stopped as i was feeling great-went back on them few years later and they done nout-side effects were bad-i quit after 6 weeks.
my shrink said it could be the generics were not as good as the previous smithkline i was getting...an interesting point.

wane
21-01-11, 19:11
it has helped relieve the lump in the throat feeling which was awful and the intense sweating and the thoughts in my head at first. It has made me much more alert, more able to enjoy life as i am not tired all the time. However i started to feel down again and like giving up as although it allowed me to enter social situations i couldnt force myself to try as i was still too scared to. I dont know if im making sense but anyway after being forced to work in a charity shop by jobcentre and really strugging for the first month or so it got easier. Now i dont worry what others think (so much) but try to be nice and friendly. The one side it hasnt changed with me is i am still a very quiet guy but i like it that way. I wouldnt want to be a chatterbox to be honest. I like listening to other people's stories rather than tell my own and try and make them laugh/smile. For the first time in my life i am up for meeting and forming friendships.

raverbaby
06-03-11, 18:38
this was a wonder drug for me... cured my depression and anxiety. then after a while my personality totally changed, started smokin, drinking, doing drugs, ruined my 10 year relationship and eventually got sectioned oh and i gained 4 stone in weight.

turns out i have bipolar triggered by seroxat. i was on seroxat for 6 years, during this time i was just hyper but also very sluggish, sleeping a lot. they then increased my dose to 30mg and thats when i went manic. I honestly believe that seroxat didnt trigger bipolar but actually caused it, if that makes sense, as in the drug has caused permeant brain damage.

Before seroxat i was able to have a full time job (i had been on other antidepressants) but now i am classed as servely disabled and left unable to work. Thankfully i am able to to do volouenty work in mental health. but honestly this drug is the devils work.

I wish i had never agreed to take it, maybe i wouldnt have bipolar now? who knows, all i know is that my life is totally messed up due to it.