PDA

View Full Version : I've started suffering panic attacks

Dylan17
03-03-09, 06:48
Back late January, I had my first panic attack. I had watched two movies that dealt with people who suffered seizures, and one of the films showed the seizure itself and disturbed me greatly. Then a week later I heard about someone who suffered a seizure who played alot of video games. I spend alot of time on the computer and I'm a casual gamer, so I suddenly started getting worried about myself, I had heard stories about swallowing the tongue (though these turned out to be myths), so when I started feeling something in the back of my throat and on the back of my tongue, I started panicking thinking I was going to have a seizure, and that's when I first had my panic attack. I thought I was dying, and my lack of knowledge about seizures led me to think I was enduring one of those which led the attack to get even worse, it lasted almost 3 hours. I went to the doctor, and she told me it was anxiety attacks and the feeling in my throat was a lump from the anxiety.

Since then, I've slowly been putting the fear of seizures out of my mind, but the panic attacks still happen, and happen frequenly. The doctor put me on xanax time release, which seemed to help for a week or two, before the paniac attacks started back and started getting worse. For example, yesterday I could feel tingling in my fingers and hands, felt like I was getting dizzy and losing my mind, and I started screaming out crying and even went to throw things. I've always been a emotionally controlled person, so when this happened, I was terrified to say the least. I felt like I was dying, like I was enduring some horrible torture that wouldn't stop, I felt like I was in hell. I could feel the nerves in my head and body vibrating.

However, when I started having anxiety, my mouth would get really dry, which I learned is a common symptom of anxiety... however, this past week, though my tongue might get dry somewhat, I feel like my mouth is increasing in saliva instead of getting dry. :unsure: I have no idea what this is, and why it's happening, or if others even go through it. It kinda scares me, and I think it might be provoking some of the attacks. Does anybody else go through this? Because if you do, I'd really appreciate knowing, because not knowing what's happening often makes my attacks worse, instead of knowing what something is, it prevents the attacks from getting that bad sometimes.

Veronica H
03-03-09, 08:53
Hi Dylan

These are all typical symptoms of panic anxiety and many of us recognise them here. Your nerves have become sensitised. Fear of how you are feeling is keeping this cycle going and therefore not allowing your nerves to recover. You are obviously a sensitive person and a deep thinker (again something you will have in common with many, if not all other sufferers). Thoughts become feelings with this illness.There is a brilliant book called 'self help for your nerves' by Dr claire Weekes available from the NMP shop and also free downloads to your MP3 of her work. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us and how we can recover. I promise you that this will get better the more you understand it. It is extremely powerful and frightening though but remember the attacks cannot harm you, it is just a chemical reaction in your body.:bighug1:

Veronica