PDA

View Full Version : Throat question - help! Is this normal?

jojo2316
03-03-09, 16:08
Hi all,
I stupidly looked at the back of my throat with a torch and, right at the back behind the uvula, there are several very slightly raised fleshy bumps. I don't have a sore throat or anything.
Please please please could you look at your throat and tell me if you have it too. One of my terrors is throat cancer!
Thank you so much!
xxx

nikkinoo
03-03-09, 16:15
Dear JoJo,
I know exactly what you are going through and experienced the exact same thing as you a couple of years ago. I became totally obsessed with my throat and the large bumpy bit at the back and convinced myself of all sorts of things. I visited the Doctor for reasurance and it is perfectly normal.
I hope this might help relieve your panic.
Take care.
Love Nikki. :-) x

jojo2316
03-03-09, 17:24
Thanks Nikki,
What I have is right at the back of the throat, and it looks like little fleshy coloured patches...... which are ever so slightly raised..... kind of like the back of my throat has been stung by a nettle or something...... is that what you have? It's freaking me out!
xx

nikkinoo
03-03-09, 18:08
Dear JoJo,
Mine is exactly as you describe it, honestly! Try not to worry about it. I wasted the whole of the summer letting this cloud my days.
Love Nikki. X

jojo2316
05-03-09, 13:14
Thanks Nikki - I did go to the doctor and she said 'oh, that's completely normal.', just like you said! Isn't it weird the things we notice??
xx

Zpo
10-03-09, 22:19
Hi Guys
It is totally normal to have raised, bumpy tissue at the back of your throat. It is normal lymph tissue and everybody's is different. Some people have holes in it with little whiteish lumps - this too is quite normal.
Zara

xfilme
10-03-09, 22:38
yes it is normal. are they in the center running from the back of your nose down your throat. there is this guy on youtube that just films the inside of his mouth and throat. that was what put my mind at rest as it gave me something to compare mine with.

check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNd_h2uQBPI

and you will be reassured its normal x

antrob1000
11-03-09, 09:42
I know exactly what you are going through. Back in November I found a lump in my mouth (which I thought was cancer) turned out to be a harmless cyst. Since I sopend hours looking at my mouth and throat been to the doctors, consultant and doctor and tehy have not foufn any problems. But I have now found a very small lump underneath my tonsil which I am panicking about. I have a doctors appointment tonight and a dentist appointment tomorow as you can see I am going mad.
I am fed up with worrying and feel that I am being selfish. As my wife is preganant and she is concerned as she had a miscarriage last year. But all I can think about is my mouth. I dont understand I never used to be like this I only started worryign back in November.

It is nice to know that other people have teh same issues that I have.

kate
13-03-09, 22:52
I too never used to have health anxiety until the last 3 yrs or so.

I found a white lump by my tonsils and, after a few weeks of total hysteria, plucked up the courage to visit my GP. As soon as I went in I burst into tears and told her I had throat cancer. Turned out I too had a harmless cyst :blush:

This week I've had a cough and temperature. I am now convinced I have lung cancer.

Wonder what next weeks fatal disease will be? :scared15:

Kate

jojo2316
14-03-09, 11:31
Thanks guys and especially - thanks Xfilme. That you-tube clip is kind of gross but he has exactly the same as me!! I am now totally reassured! yyeeeaay!

xfilme
14-03-09, 11:52
he rocks doesnt he?

Stressed32
28-03-09, 04:21
Xfilme- do you think you can find another link to that video? That one was removed and I am not sure what you searched for to find it. Bumps in the back of my throat causing HA for me. Thanks.

Kerrigan
19-06-09, 20:30
I'm sure the back of my throat is worse than yours, unfortunately I couldn't compare it to the YouTube clip as it's been removed but I swallow ALL the time and behind my tonsils it looks sore, it doesn't cause me pain but never looks 'healed'. I just cannot seem to stop thinking about swallowing, if I'm at work I can put it out of my mind for a time but it comes back with avengence, often making me choke.

I bought some artificial saliva and it makes swallowing easier for like two seconds and of course I just can't help but swallow it all away :glare:

I'm sure mine's worse, I can see all the tiny veins right at the back and I worry I'm going to damage the back of my throat.

Stressed32
19-06-09, 21:20
Kerrigan-
Mine is the exact same. I also could not see the video but I have spent HOURS looking for even 1 picture online like what I have. They are flshy looking at the rear wall of my throat, not on my tonsils, and I can see my veins too. I did read that allergies and post nasal drip make them worse. For all I know Ive always had them? I noticed them in Jan. when strep was going around and I wanted to see if I had it too so I looked in my mouth with a flashlight. They have been there ever since. I have been to the Dr. 4 times and never was I told anything was wrong so I would not worry too much about it. Hope your better soon.
Stressed32