PDA

View Full Version : My visit to the doctors...

sMINT
03-03-09, 15:59
...And my reason for hating them

So I went for a blood test today and then straight after an ECG.
Was panicking loads up till the day but when I sat in the waiting room I some how managed not to panic. I went in for the blood test and fealt anxious but didn't panic again so was glad.

As I was walking out they called my name for the ECG early so I was happy about that save me having to sit down in the waiting room.

Now after that, I was told to wait while she shows it to a doctor and when she came back said I need to see a doctor today and shes put me on the emergency waiting list. This had me panicking a little thinking something was up. 30 minutes went by and I asked the nurse as she was passing can I just book an appointment and come back in the week but she weren't having none of it and said i really need to see a doctor.

Another 40 minutes went by and Im still sat there waiting to be called. So I went to the desk to ask how long is the emergency list and there was another 5 people before me so I said can I just book an appointment and come back so she rang a nurse and I was told I cant. So I had to wait, panicking thinking something is serious becuase no one would let me go and normally they woudlnt keep you like that unless soemthing was up.

After originaly being early from my blood test I had to wait just over 2 hours, I hadnt eaten since 10pm the night before too for the fasting blood test. When I got to see the doctor he just told me what I could have predicted, rapid heart rate and was nothing to worry about as it was a panic attack and for me to book an appointment in 10 days.

I actually cant beleive I sat for 2 hours to be told that, why couldnt I just be told that in an appointment which I was gonna book anyway for when I get my test results. So annoyed. They basically made me panic for 2 hours for absoulutly nothing. :mad:

ps sorry for the long rant ha :laugh:

sue681
03-03-09, 17:52
My god..i'm surprised you didn't have a panic attack there and then,you must of been worried sick !..to leave you waiting that long in such a state of Anxiety just to be told its rapid heartbeat...i'd complain !

I was at the doctors today,ive had an ECG done a few times but i want to have other tests done on my heart as my mum died at 37 from heart problems..i suffer from Anxiety/panic attacks and i cannot learn to control these properly unless i am sure its not my heart.This is why i keep ending up in casualty as i think i'm having a heart attack .

I had to practically BEG for more tests.i mean surly it would be cheaper to have tests than to keep wasting peoples time in casualty ??

Anyway i wasn't going to leave today unless i got referred,but luckily i have been so will see what happens,also got fasting blood test next week too !

sMINT
05-03-09, 10:37
It was ridiculous lol. Couldnt beleive they were making me wait so long, Even if it was serious I would have been happy to come back the next day at least I wouldnt have to have waited 2 hours in panic.

Sorry to hear about your mum, Hope the tests go well for you.

Im trying to get referred to see someone who knows more about my condition becuase I dont think doctors are very good at dealing with it. They think they can just prescribe anti-depresants and be done with you.

Well done for actually getting referred I know its hard to :)

mabelina
05-03-09, 11:08
Thats just awful, i think id have passed out with fright! I know how you feel though cos i had a blood test once and was told to ring for the results in four days. The very next day, the surgery rang my home and said the doctor would like to see me that day. I asked if everything was ok and was told they couldnt discuss anything over the phone. I then had to wait six hours to see my doctor only to be told my thyroid was slightly under so my thyroxine was going to be increased. (ive had an underactive thyroid for 11 years so am used to it changing all the time). If your like me, when i panic, it tends to linger for days after before i start feeling ok again. :mad: