PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety Management

Jo
17-06-03, 14:48
Hi all - I have just arrived back from my first 'anxiety management' class. There are six classess in all, covering a range of topics from relaxation techniques to tackling anxiety related problems.

Just wondered if anyone has attanded such a class, and how it was for them?

Jo (2)
xxx

sarah
17-06-03, 22:33
Hi Jo
Ive just started on the same sort of thing. My 1st session was a one 2 one so I could tell her the problems. 2nd session was one 2 one teaching breathing techniques. She is coming to my house on thursday to do relaxation exercises. in the coming weeks Im going to group sessions and eventually she is going to dump me in the middle of the local town and let me find my way home!!!!! sounds great!!!!!
I will try and keep you posted on how it is.

Sarah
xx

Jo
18-06-03, 10:40
Thanks for the reply Sarah - keep me posted and I will do the same.

Jo xx

Hope you get home safely

nomorepanic
18-06-03, 17:40
Sarah/Jo

When I filmed a programme for the BBC called "Private Investigations" (it was about my fear of public transport), they dumped me at a tube station and I had to get back to the therapists house - scariest thing I did for years - but I made it.

Good luck Sarah - you can do it!

Nic

Jo
25-06-03, 14:42
Hi all - I had my second session yesterday at the anxiety management programme! Today we talked about avoidance, and how those who suffer from panic and anxiety may avoid certain situations.

For instance, I once had a panic attack in my car and thus avoided travelling for a long time afterwards. In fact, it is only recently, after consulting various books which advised taking very small steps, that I was able to start driving again. For example, I started by siting in my car. The next day, I turned my engine on, etc.

To conclude, our leader emphasised that anxiety related problems do not, as the majority of us would hope, decrease over night. It may take a long time to gain control again. But people can and do overcome anxiety related problems, it just takes practice.

Jo xxx

PS. I really don't mean to sound like a 'know it all', I am just reporting back from my class. I am still struggling with my panic and anxiety. Just hope we can all recover!

sarah
25-06-03, 19:46
Hi folks
I've just come back from my 1st group session and as promised, here's my update!
When I got there I was panicking so much I thought I was going to die. I wanted to run but stuck it out as I realised it would only make it harder next time if I did.
Everyone looked so 'normal' I wondered if I was in the right place, but as soon as they all described their symptoms etc I realised that I too must have looked normal to them! ( they were all fidgeting and clutching their trusty bottles of water)-like me!
We paired off and described what was wrong with us and I realised we were all to some degree all the same. I started to relax and actually found myself 'enjoying' being around people who knew how I felt for a change.
The group leader taught us a bit about why we panic and before I knew it, it was time to go home!

If anyone else gets the chance to go for group therapy I would really urge you to go. I felt so good when I left that I had actually managed to leave the house and come back in one piece!!!!!
(I am partially agoraphobic and dont leave the house much!)

Sarah xx

Jo
27-06-03, 19:01
I felt really nervous too Sarah! In fact, I nearly didn't leave the car - I'm so glad I didn't. That was probably a step in itself - not running away!

Keep me posted Sarah

Jox

nomorepanic
02-07-03, 23:03
Jo/Sarah - it is so good that you are getting help and not only benefiting but enjoying it too!

I wish you both well with the recovery.

Nic

sarah
04-07-03, 01:20
Hi folks
Had my 2nd session yesterday. we did relaxation techniques...breathing and negative thoughts etc. At the end the leader asked us all to say what made us panic, everyone was cool and said what made them panic. I went last and opened my mouth and managed to get out that i panic a lot and its been hapenning for a year and promptly burst out crying. I felt like such a muppet but everyone was really cool about it and said they knew just how i felt. It was really good to be with poeple who didnt look at me like i just got a plane from mars for a change!!!!

Sarah xx

Jo
04-07-03, 12:14
Hi all - I had my third session on Tuesday 1st July. We talked about challenging negative thoughts. According to our leader we must ask ourselves questions:

(1) Am I predicting the future negatively?

(2) What is the evidence for and against the idea?

(3) What would my friends think in this situation?

(4) Am I making things worse than they really are?

(5) Does it matter if things don't turn exactly right?

(6) Does this thought help me succeed?

(7) Am I trying to read other peoples minds?

Long isn't it. She suggested to write down our negative thoughts whilst trying to dispute them. For instance, if you are anxious about going out socially, which sometimes I am, you may dispute your negative thoughts and come up with the following cue card:

"I'M IN CONTROL. NOT MY ADRENALINE.
IF PEOPLE LOOK AT ME, SO WHAT, THEYRE PROBABLY ADMIRING MY CLOTHES.
JUST RELAX, SMILE AND LISTEN. I CAN DO THIS!
IGNORE THESE ANXIOUS FEELINGS, THEY'LL PASS, THEY HAVE BEFORE
AND THEY WILL AGAIN".

It must take a lot of practice to challenge negative thoughts, especially if one has had these thoughts the majority of their lives. I think with practice, we can challege our worries.

Take care Joxxx

nomorepanic
04-07-03, 20:14
Hi Jo

Thanks for that - very interesting isn't it? Perhaps there is some stuff that you learn that I could put on the website for others to read too. Let me know if you think there is.

I agree about the negativity - I was told recently that I am not allowed to say "no", "never", "can't", "won't" etc and turn them all into positives - hard to do but I am trying :-)

Take care

Nic

Jo
08-07-03, 14:48
Hi Nic - I have lots of useful information that I think would benefit others. I will condense the info I have received and then send it to you. Is that ok?

Jo xx

Jo
09-07-03, 13:53
Hi all - I had my fourth session at my anxiety mangament course. Today we looked at problem solving. Here as an axample we used:

"I have to go to Mary's wedding reception, alone, next Saturday".

According to our session leader, there are six steps which you can take to make a task, like above, easier:

(1) Define the problem: i.e. I have to go to Mary's wedding reception, alone next Saturday.

(2) List Solutions: Think of as many ways of dealing with the problem as you can.

- Send my apologies, with an explanation of my problem.
- Send my daughter in my place.
- Plan 'escape routes', which I could use if my anxiety was too great at the reception.
- Talk all my fears through with a friend - it puts things in perspective.
- Take one Valium to calm me.
- Ignore the invitation.
- Recall how I coped at the last wedding and try to use these coping strategies again.

(3) Evaluate the pros and cons of each solution: consider each action-plan and decide which will have to be rejected due to lack of suitability.

i.e. Ignore the invitation x (avoiding the situation)

(4) Plan: Decide how you are going to implement your chosen solution.

For instance: Recall how I coped at the last wedding and try to use these coping strategies again.

(5)Try out your solution.

(6)Evaluate yourself.

It makes sense when you look at it doesn't it.

Take care all

Jo xx

nomorepanic
09-07-03, 14:35
quote:Originally posted by Jo

Hi Nic - I have lots of useful information that I think would benefit others. I will condense the info I have received and then send it to you. Is that ok?

Jo xx

That would be great Jo - thanks a lot. You can email it to me if you want.

nomorepanic
09-07-03, 14:38
Sounds like you are learning a lot Jo - all good positive stuff. Perhaps we all ought to book on one of these courses.

I did a similar thing at my doctor's - it was called "self-assertiveness for women" - i ought to dig my notes out on that too.

sarah
09-07-03, 22:33
Hi every one!!
hi Jo, glad to see you are doing ok.
Well, ive had my next session today and im just looking over the handouts ive got. I didnt realise how many I had accumulated!!!!!!
Anyway,today we went through 'common thinking disorders' which included:-

CATASTROPHISING
This means you exaggerate in you mind how awful events will be. Overestimating the chances of disaster. e.g.You think about doing whatever makes you panic then before you know it your mind has carried you all the way through to worst case scenario.
LIVING BY FIXED RULES
You have fixed rules and unrealistic expectations. You use the words 'should, ought, must, cant. This leads to unnecessary guilt and dissapointment.
JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS
You make make negative interpretations even though there are no definate facts. You start predicting the future (at its worst).

We also keep an anxiety diary just to see if anything in particular makes us panic or certain times of the day.

There was more but i think ive rambled on a enough....sorry

Cheers
Keep well
Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
09-07-03, 23:58
Sarah

Thanks for that - it is very interesting stuff so please keep adding it. I am sure it is making sense to a lot of us - it is to me

Cheers

Nic

Shelley
10-07-03, 10:23
Hi All

I have just trawled the web looking for courses in Manchester - they have one!!!! yes one!! isnt that generous of the council and damn thing is about 10 miles outside of manchester. Will keep looking coz the course sounds fab.

x Shell

Shell

sarah
10-07-03, 15:26
hello everyone
just to let you know, I was referred to my course by my doctor. It is run by the local 'mental' health authority (well I do feel like im going mental sometimes!!!) so it might be worth asking your doctor if he can help.
keep smiling!!!

sarah

Jo
10-07-03, 19:05
Hi Sarah/Shelley/Nic and everyone else.

I too, like Sarah, Shelley, asked my G.P for a course tackling anxiety/panic. He referred me to a place called 'Bridge House', which is organised by the mental health authority in Birmingham. It is well worth checking it out!!

Hi Sarah - I too have been advised to keep a diary, to see if something triggers my anxiety/panic. Can you pinpoint a particular situation? Mine is university - in particular, sitting down infront of my computer to write an assignment.

Take care all

Jo

sarah
11-07-03, 01:23
Hi Jo
I cant really pinpoint a specific time that I panic, I just panic to varying degrees when i leave my house. Sometimes it just happens when im sitting on the sofa or in bed. I tend to feel a lot worse when ive got my period though ( sorry boys too much info i know!) I had a really bad panic on saturday night. but that was cos i had to pick up my drunken hubby and his cousin up from the local town centre. Im worse when ive got passengers in the car!!!The panic was so bad that i thought i was gonna pass out but all i could do was breathe slow and drive like a bat out of hell to get home!!! (funnily enough i was completely fine as i got about 1/2 mile from home!!!)- silly eh?

cheers
Sarah
xx

Shelley
11-07-03, 09:35
Hi All

Well I went to my doctors last night (got a long train journey next week and then a soddin meeting when I do finally get there - hate both so needed a little help - in form of beta blockers)and I asked him about "Anxiety Management Courses"...he didnt have a clue...I'm so angry, all they want to do is hand out pills and not even bother getting to the route cause of it - he did how ever give me the number for the "psycology department" at my local hospital who might be able to help...god give me stregth....!!! and no Im not religious just at the end of my tether with doctors!

x Shell

Shell

Jo
16-07-03, 09:50
Hi everyone - I had my final session with the 'anxiety managment' group on Tuesday. In fact, our course leader has arranged a 'one to one' review next, but it was the last time I saw/chatted to my fellow group members - sad really.

Our concluding session was like the final part of the jigsaw - our leader summed up our four previous classess:

(1) remember your newly acquired skills: act with N.O.R.M.A.N

(N) Notice yourself becoming uptight and discomforted as early as possible.

(O)Opt out of the tension cycle...make a conscious choice to do something positive about it.

(R) Relax, use your training to ease away some of the body tension.

(M) Mentally sum up the situation. Is it real or a paper tiger?

(A) Act in a more constructive manner, don't slide into escape or avoidance.

(N) Notice the diference and notice your gains.

Take care all

Jo xx

ps. I will sum up next week if, in my opinion, an 'anxiety managment course' is a useful tool, following my one to one review.

Shelley
16-07-03, 15:09
Hi All

I'm not sure if it's the same in the part of the country where you're from Jo, but all the courses seem to run in the day time, they obviously think that anxious people dont work!!!! Still looking for a course - even my local hospital's Psychology department were unable to help..

x

Shell

Jo
16-07-03, 18:36
Hi Shelley, the course that I attend is during the day (10-12). I have my last session next week, I will ask the course leader about available course's for you - she may be able to suggest something!

Jo xx

sarah
16-07-03, 18:37
hi everyone
ive just come back from my next session.
We went through our diaries this week and discussed what situations have made us feel any panic. We also went through more relaxation and ended with us laying on mats on the floor listening to a relaxation tape while the group leader talked through relaxation(i.e... you can feel your muscles relaxing and all the tension flowing away from your body etc) It was really relaxing and we have to practice at home.
I also have to have a one to one session with her this friday where I have to meet her somewhere!!!!!AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
She tried to get me to go on the bus to the local town but I used my assertiveness( didnt know I had it in me!!) and convinced her that the local coffee shop was a better option!!
i will keep you posted.

Sarah
xx

Jo
16-07-03, 18:39
Hi Sarah - good luck for Friday - its a big step which I am sure you will achieve!

Jo xx

sarah
18-07-03, 19:35
Thanks Jo
You were right I did achieve and you can imagine just how pleased I am with myself too!!!
I cheated a bit though as its only a 10 min walk away, I took my car and parked round the corner in case i needed a quick getaway...lol
I felt so bad before I got there I almost phoned and cancelled but I bought myself a paper, went into the coffee shop and ordered a big cold glass of water....and got a funny look. I was really panicking but I tried to concentrate on reading the paper and then my therapist turned up. After about 10 mins I calmed down so much it was almost like when i used to meet my mates for a coffee before I started all this panic lark.
I know im not 'cured' from this but I also now know that I can do stuff I have been too scared to try.
Thanx for reading all this rambling on I seem to do
Cheers
Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
18-07-03, 21:45
Sarah

Well done - that is excellent news. You did so well. We are all so proud of you.

Keep it up

Nicola

sarah
19-07-03, 01:20
thanx Nic that means a lot!!!

love Sarah

Joanne
22-07-03, 12:30
well done sarah! That is excellent. Are you going to try it again?
I agree- buying a paper is such a good idea- I don't know what I'd do without the Daily Mirror!

Jo
22-07-03, 17:34
Well, I had my final session today - a one to one with our session leader. She basically asked me questions about the course, how I was feeling, whether or not it was a useful experience, and so on.

My thoughts on an 'anxiety managment course':

- I believe it is something people should definately try, if possible. I was very nervous at the beginning, in fact, I very nearly didn't go but I am glad I persevered.

- It helped me normalise anxiety/panic and reinforced that others too suffer. Our group consisted of 5 people - 3 women and 2 men of varying ages, job descriptions, etc.

- Each session we had a hand-out. For example:

(1)The nature and circular action of anxiety
(2)Relaxation
(3)Self-watching
(4)Positive thinking
(5)Problem solving
(6)Tackling anxiety.

This helped us digest the information after the session.

- I think the key word is 'Practice'. For anything to work, one must practice. It unfortuantely doesn't happen over night, I wish it would sometimes!

Anyway, have waffled enough!

Jo xx

charliebrown
23-07-03, 22:30
Hi. I don't suffer with PA's as such i.e. about going a certain place, doing a certain thing, its more a constant state of anxiety and its taking over my daily life. I walk around in a daze like state, sometimes not hearing what people are talking to me about, my skin/face feels constantly "tingly", ive read the description of a feeling of "heightened consciousness". I worry costantly about EVERYTHING. I can't seem to hold convesations which involve me replying more than twice, get all tongue tied and say the most ridiculous things, or even worse just look blank. It's affecting the way I am with my kids, more and more I'm sitting them in front of the TV as finding it hard to even be "real" with them - sometimes they do the silliest things I want to laugh out loud but CAN'T, my face goes all funny and tence. I think I've forgotten how to relax and laugh but I so want to. Does anyone relate to this?

Thanks

Jo
24-07-03, 21:07
Hi charliebrown - welcome aboard firstly!

I suffer with panic attacks and at the beginning I certainly didn't feel able, or even wanted, to laugh, joke or smile. I believe looking back, I was suffering with mild depression! Do you think in your case this may be a possibility also?

Jo xx

ps. Just wondered if you have visited your G.P?

Jo
24-07-03, 21:08
Where are you Sarah - is everything OK???

Jo xx

charliebrown
26-07-03, 20:21
Thanks Jo,

I have been on Anti-depressants twice in probably the last two years. But I am reluctant to go back to this route as I don't feel depressed, I know because this feeling I get when I feel paniciky comes over me and is then hard to shake off for maybe, one or three days and it is worse somedays than others. I think it has lead me to depression before by thinking that I am mad. I found this article about Chronic Anxiety which is a constant nervousness rather than a panic attack and it seemed to hit my symptons to a T. I don't get the symptons most describe in their attack and not so severe, it more sweeps over me and takes away my confidence for days which would easily result in my hiding in my house if it wern't for my young children - the article seemed to reflect this.

I have just started St Johns wort and as the article recommends, a good daily vitamin supplement and laying off the bad foods "caffiene" etc. I would lik to try the therapy/hypnosis route but this may be too expensive.

Thanks for your reply. Take care, C

charliebrown
26-07-03, 20:24
Hi again Jo, where did you find out about your anxiety management class? Did your doctor help ou or was it private. And, sorry to sound well, maybe rude, but in an anxious sorta way, were the other people there normal/nice? did you find it hard to open up in front of them?

Thanks, C

sarah
26-07-03, 20:46
hi peeps
sorry if i worried you Jo but im fine, just not updated for a while. ive still got 5 weeks to go so i will be boring you all for weeks to come...lol. my 5th session on wednesday involved us all laying on mats doing relaxation and breathing for the whole hour... it was bliss!
in answer to your questions Charlie brown, my doctor reffered me to the place where i go. it is run by the local 'mental' health authority and i get councelling and group sessions. the best thing about it..... its all free!!!!!
the other people in the group are really lovely and outwardly they look ' normal' as we all do but its only when you hear them talk about their problems that you realise that we all feel the same for whatever reason! I thought i would find it hard to open up and the first time i said anything about my probs i cried. i felt really silly but they all were really sweet and said they all felt the same.
its been really useful for me as i virtually never leave the house and dont work and now i have found myself venturing a bit further each week.
hope this helps you a bit.
Jo did you find it useful too?

love Sarah
x

Jo
27-07-03, 11:03
Hi Charliebrown - I was referred by my G.P who believed I would help me (and he was right). The course took place at my local 'mental health centre' - it is certainly worth it!! I would enquire, most definately.

The group members were very 'normal' Charliebrown - 3 females and 2 males of varying ages - all suffering with different types of anxiety/panic. We probably walk past numerous people in the street who suffer with panic/anxiety - it just isn't apparent.

Speak with your G.P, as I believe, I could be very wrong, that they need to refer you! Or check out some independant groups!

Hi Sarah - glad you are back! Yes, I found the course has helped me on my road to recovery. It has put things into perspective - firstly, lots of people suffer, I am not abnormal, which I truly felt, and secondly - individuals are, over time, able to control their anxiety/panic.

The thing is Sarah - although I have had a few good months, I am aware that I could, in the future, have an anxiety/panic attack. I now, however, feel able to control them, in other words, I know practically what to do (this could however fly out the window if/when I have one).

I am really waffling now

Kind regards to you both

Jo xxx

sarah
09-08-03, 02:00
Hi all
Ive had my next two sessions this week and last and they involved setting goals. e.g mine was to get confident enough to go get a job, one of the others needed to be able to get on a plane etc. The group leader took the example of the person who needed to get on a plane and drew up a list of goals needed to accomplish before the plane journey (which is in 6 weeks). The steps ranged from going in a lift, on a tram, on a bus and on the tube to practice being in places where you cant easily 'escape'. The group leader who also does one to one sessions with us is going with this person to guide her and talk her down from the panic. The person ended up in tears at the thought of it and in a moment of shere madness i found myself volunteering to go with her to help her! (god knows what help im gonna be cos im worse than she is but - what the heck!). Anyway we were all given homework to set goals for ourselves - whatever they may be. Mine will probably be something like walking to the local shops on my own or something but its a start!
Ive got two weeks off now cos the group leader is going on holiday so will update you when i go next!

Sarah
xx

Jo
09-08-03, 14:14
Hi Sarah - you sound like you have come a long way! Is it helping?

Jo xx

sarah
11-08-03, 17:17
Hi Jo
yes its really helping me more than i ever thought possible. Considering I virtually never went anywhere at the start i have found myself having the confidence to pop to the shops on my own for bits and pieces and sitting in restaurants and cinemas without feeling too terrible that i have to run away. I think its the education you get there combined with the support and knowing that you arent the only one feeling like this that really helps. In one of my earlier posts i said that i cried while i was telling them what was wrong with me and how silly i felt, well since then all of us have balled our eyes out one week or another so i know that it hits us all as hard some times and in a sick kind of way the fact that they all suffer like me makes me feel better!
Sarah
xx

Jo
12-08-03, 11:47
Keep up the good work Sarah!!

Jo xx

nomorepanic
13-08-03, 20:02
Jo/Sarah

Don't forget that if you get time you can supply me with some of the material from your courses to put on the website so it may help others too.

I am sure we would all be interested in reading it - cos not everyone can get to a class or even have the chance to go.

Thanks

Nicola

sarah
13-08-03, 20:36
Hi Nic
If you email me your address I can sent you the whole lot of stuff ive got. I cant email it to you as there is soo much of it!
Or if you have got a fax machine email me the number and i will fax it to you.
sarahsarah100@hotmail.com

love Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
14-08-03, 22:10
Thnaks sarah - i will email you my address

Nic

Jo
15-08-03, 21:21
Hi Nic - I really haven't forgot...honest! There is so much info. If you could e-mail your address, I too, like Sarah, will send the material on, as it is useful stuff!

Sorry

Jo xx

nomorepanic
15-08-03, 22:44
Jo - I have emailed it to you.

Thanks in advance

Nic
x

sarah
16-08-03, 00:40
Hi Nic
Thanks for the address. I will post it when I get the courage to stand in line in the post office ....lol
Sarah
xx

bishop
17-08-03, 20:38
hi sarah
well done.,remember take small steps,you can always run later,take each day as it comes,i can remember going just to the garden gate and back,looking back im still asking why me.any way you are doing so well
best wishes bish

sarah
03-09-03, 18:54
Hi all
thanx bish.
Just had my second to last group session.
This week and last we dealt with assertiveness. (something i have yet to master).
We learnt how to communicate properly and the difference between assertive, passive and aggressive behavior.Assertive being the correct method as passive lets people walk all over you and lowers your self esteem and aggressive makes it difficult for you to relax and creates enemies.
I have obviously condensed this a lot as i cant ramble on for too long but i am going to post the info to Nicola so she can pick through it and maybe put some on her site.
For our last session next week we are reviewing what we have learnt, giving feedback and going to the pub!
Sarah
xx

Gill
04-09-03, 10:32
Hello to everyone. I'm new here, I put some details about myself in the introduction section, but basically I suffer from a social phobia (I think)which I am worried is gradually getting worse. I haven't worked for two years, or driven a car for about 6 and now I get more nervous about social events than I used to.

My GP referred me for one of these courses on anxiety management several months ago, which included lessons on breathing properly, but I never could get into it properly because I was too aware of all the other people around me doing it..seems silly, but I hope you know what I mean. I would like to try to practice this breathing, but I wondered is it possible to get relaxation tapes or cds that talk you through it? So you can just listen to the instructions without having to keep stopping to read them? If so, can anyone recommend a good one and where to get them? I think mastering this would be a good start for me, as I can see so many of you find it helpful.

I hope someone can help, as I feel I have reached a point where I am the only one who can try to change things, and that is by trying different therapies myself. My GP doesn't offer much advice (has never talked about seeing a psychiatrist, CBT or anything)I just have a tranquilizer for occasional use (which obviously is not a long term solution).If I don't start trying to do something I am afraid I will be like this forever.

sarah
04-09-03, 18:21
Hi Gill
I do know what you mean about feeling a little silly doing breathng exercises in front of people!!! I felt daft too.
I havent got any relaxation cd's as the stuff we do is all in class but one of the best breathing exercises i can tell you is.....
Get a CD of calm music that you like, lay on the bed or sofa with the lights out and the curtains drawn and play the music.
While you are laying there breathe in for the count of two then breathe out for the count of three.
While you are doing this tense and flex different parts of your body (for the count of 5)starting with your toes, legs, buttocks, arch your back, hands, shrug shoulders, screw up your face etc all the while continuing with the breathing... in for 2 out for 3.
Believe me it works and you feel nicely relaxed after. Try and do it at least once a day. (i sometimes do it just before i go to sleep as i have trouble sleeping).
Hope this helps some of you
Sarah
xx

sarah
04-09-03, 18:25
Hi all
By the way sometimes when you first start breathing exercises you sometimes feel a bit light headed, apparently its beacuse we are actually breathing properly and our bodies arent used to it. We normally breathe too shallow so nice deep breaths are good for relaxation.
The idea of breathing in for 2 and out for 3 is like when u smoke. Its not the cigarette that calms us but because we inhale quickly and the exhaling is usually longer which is the relaxing part.
Take care
Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
04-09-03, 22:24
Gill - i have quite a few relaxation CD's. One that i love is the sound of waves and seagulls - it is so relaxing and i imagine i am on a beach somewhere.

I also have a tape from a guy that does spiritual healing and that is good too.

you can buy them in most places - or No Panic do some as well.

Nicola

Gill
05-09-03, 08:10
Thank you Sarah and Nic. I DID have that slighty lightheaded feeling doing them in the class! I thought it meant I was doing them wrong, because I sometimes feel a similar sentation when extremely anxious.

I shall check out the no panic website for tapes.

sarah
05-09-03, 12:49
Hi all
As part of my therapy I have one to one sessions and sometimes they involve councelling and once before i have met her in the local coffee shop to get me going out again.
This morning I had to go into town with her and go round the shops (somthing i havent been able to do for months). I was really nervous and i only slept 2 hours last night as i was so anxious. I nearly cancelled on her this morning as i was having constant panic.
Well im pleased to say i have just arrived home and I did fine, felt a bit dizzy and panicky but the feeling of sheer joy at having done it far outweighed the panic. (and yes i did treat myself to two new tops for being so good - lol).
Sarah
xx

nomorepanic
05-09-03, 14:03
Hi Sarah

Well done to you. I was thinking about you this morning and was waiting till tonight to ask you how it went - but now I know :-)

I like the rewards as well - shopping therapy eh? Cool!!

Nicola

Gill
05-09-03, 14:09
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for your earlier reply and Well Done for this morning! it does feel great when you manage something you didn't think you could do, doesn't it? I bet you feel very positive now.

sarah
10-09-03, 19:31
Hi all
Ive just had my last group session (boo hoo).
We basically recapped on what we had learnt and gave feedback on how we think the course was run. Every week before we started we used to do warm ups to relax us a bit like playing word or memory games which really helped me relax as i was always panicking when i got there. This week we each got an envelope with a persons name on in the group with a piece of paper inside it. We each had to write an anonymous note to the person telling them a positive thing about them. It was really nice as when i opened mine it said that i was kind and considerate but i should learn to devote time to myself and learn to say NO!!!and that she now considered herself my friend which was lovely!
Overall the course was excellent and i would urge any of you to go if you get the chance.
I have made new friends who understand what im going through and ive found a friend who is going to come shopping with me when she gets back from holiday so we can get over our fears together.
Sarah
xxx
PS we ended the session down the pub...lol

nomorepanic
10-09-03, 22:45
Sarah

That sounds really nice - I bet you were chuffed to bits with the note - I would have been.

It sounds like you really had a good time and I am pleased it has worked out for you.

Keep up the positive thinking :-)

Nicola
xx

P.S. did you manage to drink as much as i can - lol

Jo
11-09-03, 20:30
Hi Sarah - sorry I haven't posted any messages recently! Glad the 'anxiety management course' has been a success!

Everyone out there who hasn't tried such a course it is a must- pester your G.P or contact your local mental health centre!

Take care all

Jo xx

Keep up the good work

nomorepanic
11-09-03, 21:57
All

Jo has now sent me the info - I need to read through it and get Jo to check if it is copyrighted or not before I put it on the website.

Nicola