PDA

View Full Version : Blue lights in loos!!

nomorepanic
18-12-03, 23:45
I went out today and needed the loo so popped into Sainsburys. As soon as I walked in the door I felt weird. They have installed "blue lights" which are like ultra violet lights but they aren't if you see what I mean (get a tan whilst you pee - lol).

Anyway, being a female loo there was a queue as always (boo hiss). I stood there 10 minutes and the lights were really getting to me. Everyone that walked in went "oh god these lights are awful".

So we got chatting (as you do) and apparently there are there cos drug addicts use the loos and with these blue lights you can't see your veins so they are discouraged. Great, except I am not a drug addict and just wanted a wee.

Anyway I came out 10 minutes later and felt absoultely terrible. I couldn't focus in the real day light and felt all dizzy and terrible. It took me a good 30 mins to calm down and get my eyesight adjusted back to normal and I will NOT be going back to do that again!

Does anyone know what these lights are and why they made me feel so bad!

I advise any panic/anxiety sufferers to avoid them cos they freaked me out and I felt fine before hand!!

Nicola

stimpy
21-12-03, 01:10
Thanks hun I will have to watch out for those Blue lit Loos.

Apparently these fluorescent lights are special filtered ultra violet lights, and are used to deter drug users.
The only thing I can think of that would make you feel ill, would be the illuminance (or lack of it).

Blue monochromatic light creates an eerie and, to some people, a threatening environment, and that can be enough to make you feel unsettled.
The average 60w bulb produces about 880 lumens of light, but blue lights only produce 80 lumens of light, which is a lot less light than our eyes are used to. Which could explain why you felt so ill and found it hard to see, after using the loo.

I hope that made sense.

Liz

nomorepanic
21-12-03, 01:16
Thanks Liz

I have never encountered them before and I was freaked out by it but my need to go to the loo was greater - lol

It was very eerie yeah and dark so it may have been that that freaked me out.

I appreciate the reply

xx

Nicola

benoo5
21-12-03, 02:31
just out of interest,can i say that ultra violet light,makes white porcelene,look brighter than white,maybe its done just to improve the ambience of the loos..lets face it,these design people have to seem to earn there wages...sometimes,they get it wrong,and on this occasion ,i agree with you...they got it wrong....bryan.

nomorepanic
24-12-03, 00:54
It was not that good Bryan - it was dark and dingy and scary!!

Never going there again

Nicola

jonny
24-12-03, 13:46
Hey nic,

I was just thinking about this thread and i am convinced that now you have brought my attention to these lights they will freak me out too. I know i will think that they should now that you have been freaked , does this make sense?

Do you think it is possible for your triggers to rub off on me and vice versa?

hmmmmm, no more sainsburys for me

Jonny

I used to be extremely indecisive but now I am not so sure...

benoo5
24-12-03, 16:00
many a true word jonny,

last year,we had a lady,coming into A+E,regularly,once a week,with different complaints,all seeming very realistic,it was only after one of the young nurses sat,and had a good chat with her,that we realised,she would intently watch casualty on tv,and convince herself,that she had the same complaints..so you could be right...bryan.

jonny
24-12-03, 16:16
Greg,

So what do you think that sites like this can just as much hinder recovery as encourage it?

i have found a lot of comfort with people on here and took head of many positve comments but cant help wishing that i hadn't read some things too!

jon

benoo5
24-12-03, 16:32
jonny,

this site is doing remarkably well,in helping sufferers,to understand their condition,and gives them advice,and hope for the future...this is a little haven,for people to come,and share their thoughts,and worries,and can only do good.

best wishes..bryan.

Lottie32
24-12-03, 21:11
Jonny

Think it's purely a personal thing. I read most of the posts and just think well aren't I a lucky Bas**ard. I could have that ASWELL as everything else!!!

It's purely a personality type thing.

Charlie

nlancashire
24-12-03, 23:03
Nicola

I knew that I woudl be the one to sort this out for you.

The blue lights are the type they have in butchers shops to kill flies, as womens bogs are usually full of them.

Next question ..................

Neil

jonny
25-12-03, 14:30
I didnt think women had flies? I thought they pulled there trousers down? urmmm :-s

jonny

nomorepanic
29-12-03, 22:28
Sorry to worry you Jon - I have never seen loos like this before so I think they are quite rare so you will be ok mate.

Neil - trust you to come up with that one - lol

Nicola

Vicky
03-01-04, 17:38
Sometimes lighting can make you feel wierd. In the gym at school during exams, the lighting in there freaked me out bigtime!

There were 'double shadows' if you know what I mean, where the hand you are writing with has lots of overlapping shadows, and the light was really bright yellow. It made me dizzy and tense.

I think its because it didn't look like daylight, and this freaked me out because I was trying to look for something in that room that was comforting and 'normal' to take my mind off the exam.

I get the same way about very hot rooms, or rooms without windows, or even places with nasty smells!

benoo5
03-01-04, 18:36
hi vicky,

this is probably because,your nervous system is overley sensitive,at the moment...are you taking vitamin B complex,if not,these will be a great help to you...also bach rescue,put a few drops in a small bottle of mineral water,and you can carry it everywhere,and just sip all day,will also take the edge off anxiety...in the case of the lights in the gym,you could have wore a baseball cap,and pulled the peak down,just enough to shield your eyes...best wishes..bryan.

Vicky
03-01-04, 21:50
Hi Bryan,

Its been a couple of years since I've even been in the gym, I don't go to school much anymore, and when I do its just to the Art Room. The gym's not a problem to me anymore since I'll never need to go there again, but thanks for the tip about Vitamin B :) What does it do?

benoo5
03-01-04, 22:43
hi vicky,

bach rescue..is designed to balance the emotions,and can be sipped at will,in mineral water,and will take the edge off anxiety.

vitamin B,is available in some meat,and vegetables,its necessary in our diet,so as to feed the central nervous system..but we dont get enough of it daily...so we need to supplement it,by taking vitamin B complex,50mg a day...if your suffering from anxiety related problems,then these tablets/capsules,taken daily,will be of great benefit to you...best wishes..bryan.