PDA

View Full Version : Medication side effect worry

Hollytree
03-03-09, 20:19
Hi there, i have been diagnosed with Blepharitis, my doctor has given me Chloramphenicol ointment, i should be using it for a 5 days course, but have stopped after one day, because i was totally freaked out by some nasty side effects, even though these are very rare.

Am I worrying over nothing? :weep:

Hollytree

countrygirl
03-03-09, 22:29
I had to use this about 3 years ago after getting small boil inside my eyelid called would you believe it a mobolium cyst ( can't spell it!) and I was totally freaked by the possible nasty side effects but I used it for 5 days and had not a single side effect. I think the amount your body absorbs is so tiny that there is very low chance of any side effects. Every single drug in the world can potentially give harmful side effects and they have to tell you - what I wish they would do is instead of saying uncommon or rare to actaully say only had 3 cases worldwide so far as that would reassure me much more than saying its a very rare side effect:D

Hollytree
03-03-09, 23:23
Thanks for your advice, I don't normally freak out by these things, and this ointment is common and used alot in bacterial infections of the eye, but reading the leaflet inside got me panicking. I thought 'oh god' I'm going to be the one that gets the nasty side effects!!

I did read a little about it online which kinda helped, but i try not to do that too much as it can work out in a negative way and freak you out more.

A the moment i am just keeping my eye lubricated with Hypromellose, I'm sticking with that :)

xxxx