PDA

View Full Version : Agoraphobia help needed

Reggie
04-03-09, 08:48
Hi Guys

I'm after some advice from people who have agoraphobia. I've had panic/anxiety since the death of my daughter in 1999. It's stayed with me ever since and I can't shift it.

I feel like I'm on the cusp of becoming agoraphobic, I'm ok going to the shop or small journeys but large trips are becoming a real problem for me. Last week we had to take our disabled son to York to see a therapist, I can't tell you the panic attack I had and this continued throughout the rest of the week.

My problem is compounded by the fact that we have a holiday home in Cornwall which has always been our sanctuary, we're going down there on Friday and I'm terrified. This safe place is becoming something I'm fearing. Last summer I had a lot of anxiety issues whilst we were there, and I'm dreading making this place miserable for my family - life's hard enough as it is.

Any advice would be welcome. I've been seen by a psychiatric doctor since my daughter died and she's wonderful, I'm seeing an anxiety management lady on Thursday too.

Thank you. Reggie.

NoPoet
05-03-09, 00:18
Hi Reggie, I can't even pretend to know what you've been through in the past and you have my total respect for keeping things together so well. :)

Agoraphobia is a real pain to shift and you must control it. This requires huge mental effort. You will need to face it with everything you've got. It is very possible to beat agoraphobia and you will do it one day.

Read up on "Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway" and any positive thinking books or websites you can find. Agoraphobia is like a distorted version of anxiety so look up "anxiety", "stress" and "panic attacks" -- it doesn't hurt to learn about the symptoms while you're fighting the cause.

I cannot pretend that you will suddenly get your life back -- agoraphobia is horrible -- but it can be fought and, in the act of fighting, you become stronger.

Reggie
05-03-09, 10:21
Thanks PsychoPoet. I know lots of people have trouble even getting out the front door and even though I'm no where near that, I'm scared that it's the beginning. You are right, it needs to be resisted. The irony is that most of my major panic attacks are at home - my "safe place". :shrug: