PDA

View Full Version : A TRUE Story

Bill
04-03-09, 18:06
There are some people who will charge for “the cure” and some who have been “cured” for “free” who will then charge others for “the cure” they were given “freely” for their specific type of anxiety. There are also those who learn how to cope for themselves from “free” sources and those who receive “free” treatment for their specific anxieties and go on to lead a happy life.

If there was one cure to cure all, why are there so many different types of “professional therapists” who charge or offer their services for “free” and why aren’t we all “cured”?:shrug: Perhaps “the cure” depends on the causes to our anxiety and on receiving the right treatment specific to our symptoms.:winks:

I know who and which therapy I would have more faith in and the following is proof of what can be achieved with the “right “free” therapy” for an individuals anxiety with added determination and willpower.

This is a TRUE story…..

I once had a good friend who suffered from bad agoraphobia. She couldn’t go out without suffering panic attacks. There were many underlying causes from her past that caused her anxiety. She was very sensitive, defensive and had no patience with herself or anyone else but was also very caring although she also hated her appearance and the person she was. She was a housewife stuck indoors caring for her children receiving no support from anyone close to her family.

After a while she told me she was going to receive therapy offered “freely” on the NHS. I followed her progress as she gave me frequent reports. One day she plucked up the courage to attempt going to the shops and she got home again Without having a panic attack. She was So elated. The panic attacks didn’t stop though and would come back during further attempts to go out but she persevered because she had “free” therapy support.

Eventually with the “free” treatment she was receiving, the panic attacks eased as she made changes to her life and the issues that were causing her underlying stress. She applied for a job and was successful. More stress resulted and the panic attacks returned but with the “free” techniques she’d been taught, she knew how to cope with them and again persevered.

She even managed to sit in a dentists chair for a couple of hours receiving treatment that she’d never been able to obtain before because of her agoraphobia.

Later she went away for a few days for a rock festival. Something at the beginning she thought would be impossible and would forever remain but a dream. This gave her such renewed “confidence” that she even went abroad for a holiday and loved it!

We eventually lost touch as she moved on with her “new life” provided “free” to her by the NHS but I was so pleased for her as she proved dreams Can happen and they can be achieved “free of charge”.:hugs:

CharlesLinden
04-03-09, 19:41
There are some people who will charge for “the cure” and some who have been “cured” for “free” who will then charge others for “the cure” they were given “freely” for their specific type of anxiety. There are also those who learn how to cope for themselves from “free” sources and those who receive “free” treatment for their specific anxieties and go on to lead a happy life.

If there was one cure to cure all, why are there so many different types of “professional therapists” who charge or offer their services for “free” and why aren’t we all “cured”?:shrug: Perhaps “the cure” depends on the causes to our anxiety and on receiving the right treatment specific to our symptoms.:winks:

I know who and which therapy I would have more faith in and the following is proof of what can be achieved with the “right “free” therapy” for an individuals anxiety with added determination and willpower.

This is a TRUE story…..

I once had a good friend who suffered from bad agoraphobia. She couldn’t go out without suffering panic attacks. There were many underlying causes from her past that caused her anxiety. She was very sensitive, defensive and had no patience with herself or anyone else but was also very caring although she also hated her appearance and the person she was. She was a housewife stuck indoors caring for her children receiving no support from anyone close to her family.

After a while she told me she was going to receive therapy offered “freely” on the NHS. I followed her progress as she gave me frequent reports. One day she plucked up the courage to attempt going to the shops and she got home again Without having a panic attack. She was So elated. The panic attacks didn’t stop though and would come back during further attempts to go out but she persevered because she had “free” therapy support.

Eventually with the “free” treatment she was receiving, the panic attacks eased as she made changes to her life and the issues that were causing her underlying stress. She applied for a job and was successful. More stress resulted and the panic attacks returned but with the “free” techniques she’d been taught, she knew how to cope with them and again persevered.

She even managed to sit in a dentists chair for a couple of hours receiving treatment that she’d never been able to obtain before because of her agoraphobia.

Later she went away for a few days for a rock festival. Something at the beginning she thought would be impossible and would forever remain but a dream. This gave her such renewed “confidence” that she even went abroad for a holiday and loved it!

We eventually lost touch as she moved on with her “new life” provided “free” to her by the NHS but I was so pleased for her as she proved dreams Can happen and they can be achieved “free of charge”.:hugs:

Bill, there is only one cause of anxiety disorder... the subconscious, anxious habit stored deep in the subconscious mind as 'reprogrammed' neural pathways of learning produced when behaviours dictate that the person's 'pre-set' 'normal' anxiety levels are no longer appropriate... this can happen due to any catalyst... bereavement, stress, illness etc. This is the cause, not the initial catalyst for the anxiety. That being the case, anxiety disorders can only be cured by directly affecting that part of the subconscious mind in order to deconstruct those neural pathways in order to return to normal, non anxious behaviours.

The symptoms of high anxiety are irrelevant to the solution... symptoms are related only specifically to the disorder and the effects and knock on effects of the physiological changes which manifest as a result of the flight or fight response and these are all dependent on the individual and their genetic frailties and strengths.

Of course it is possible to create recovery naturally with absolutely no medical intervention whatsoever... I am testament to that BUT I created the environment for change required to make a recovery through research and testing which resulted in my being able to reverse engineer a solution from the data I recovered. This recovery process is the same for every person and the environment for change is the same too.

Inappropriate anxiety doesn't require management or coping strategies, it can be cured.

Charles

Granny Primark
04-03-09, 19:56
Personally I dont think there is a cure for some people.
Some of us are just born to be anxious people.
I think when weve suffered with severe anxiety and panic we will always have a fear of it returning.
I just think that with a lot of empathy and encouragement from friends and family we learn to cope better.
I for one have made progress but its been with a lot of help from this site and its members.
Im really proud of what im capable of now.
And it was all free.
This site has been a Godsend to me.

faith
04-03-09, 20:10
my own long experience of free nhs care is that it was really bad for agoraphobia and for me as a person, it ruined my life in so many ways. The only care that has helped is private and person centered and I pay for it.

julieb
04-03-09, 20:23
that struck such a chord with me Bill as you know i am agoraphobic and have had no help for free except the offer to write prescriptions and told to buy self help books or pay privately as the waiting list is too long on nhs for help. this is fine if you can afford to do it which I can't. i did spend nearly £1000 on CBT but couldn't carry it on as I couldn't afford so was pointless. I would give anything to be better and sell everything I own but there are no guarantees so I can't chance it. I feel trapped and will never get over this.

staple
04-03-09, 20:57
Hi There
Its good to hear of success stories and I am not sure anxiety can be cured as this sounds to magical, high anxiety is fate appointed, as no one in there right mind would wish this condition on themselves.
We can learn coping mechanisms to lessen and bring down to more normal levels of anxiety so as to lead a functional life.
Mike

Bill
05-03-09, 04:07
In an ideal world, all health treatments would be offered freely but in this immoral world there's nothing wrong with paying a professional.

My point was, my friend received treatment that worked for her and is now getting on with her life perfectly happily so there is always hope!

The best help I ever received was from an NHS psychologist and learning to understand myself. I no longer need meds and my anxiety never stops me from finding enjoyment in life.

I think my main point has been missed somehow.:shrug:

CharlesLinden
05-03-09, 06:40
Bill, you are absolutely right... the conventional, accessible government provided routes for anxiety sufferers are poor to say the least. whilst there is a substantial 'mental health' provision, there is very little for behavioural conditions. Unfortunately because doctors et al, are limited in referral resources, they pigeon hole sufferers, prescribe inappropriate meds and manage them. The posters on this thread who doubt cure is posible in every case... my assurances will fall short, I am sure, but my eperience helping well over 100,000 people, couled with one on one challenges by a number of organisations and other sources over the years say different. We can become INAPPROPRIATE anxiety FREE... returning anxiety levels to 'birth preset' is more than possible but the doubt comes from sufferers experiencing so much trauma coupled with so much failure. Inappropriate meds, inappropriae referrals, doctors and medics who don't have the experience or knowledge, inappropriate and inadequate healthcare systems, money making psychs who boast solutions, hypnotherapy (which has no curative evidence at all), alternative therapies, massage... the list goes on... all failing sufferers... all bringing fresh hope and then dashing it, all part of the rocky road most sufferers follow. Couple this with intrusive symptoms and thoughts, familiar pressures, guilt, lack of sleep, frustration and fear... you end up like I did, a doubting, sceptical, wreck.

I've been there... one bankruptcy, a house, car and camera kit reposessions, strained relationships and the loss of my job later, I decided enough was enough and I took action. Valium, Prozac and Stelazine dependent, 18 stone and barely able to walk, I did what had to be done and I cured my anxiety disorder.

As I said earlier, anxiety disorder isn't what it is made out to be... it's just an alteration in a control mechanism and UNFORTUNATELY the mechanism changed is the one that changes our preset anxiety level... if only it could change our preset happiness level, our preset temperature, our preset muscle tone etc. but it doesn't because anxiety is the one emotion which, uniquely HAS TO BE adaptable in order for us to adapt to altering levels of threat. We wouldn't want to have been as anxious as a preset in times of peace during our social history as at times when we were constantly guarding against rape and pilage! We evolve in small ways to adapt to the social settings we are exposed to and this mechanism is meant to eb and flow with those changes but when we experience the emotional ups and downs of life, these settings can become disrupted rather than allowing the eb to turn back into a flow!! Also, as we have evolved, a design fault by the original inventor of the human body has become evident... he didn't reckon on us becoming SO creative and intelligent, features of modern humans which compound the problem by allowing the anxiety to become affected by our ability to somatise symptoms. Our creativity, our superior intellect embelishes the anxiety response by causing us to perceive high anxiety as dangerous in some way and build on the 'catastrophic thoughts' we experience as part of the flight or fight response.

BUT, this can all be re-programmed given the correct treatment.

rocklover
06-03-09, 12:16
It all sounds so simple Charles, yet how many millions of people suffer, receive treatment (government funded or private) and still do not become well? I do not believe in the "one treatment fits all" theory at all, as we as individuals are all very different.

Wenjoy
06-03-09, 14:48
Boys, boys - you both have valuable points to make. Bill, your friend sort it and found it in the NHS - others will find it using Charles method - as the previous post says - it is not one size fits all- we are all unique and different things work for different people. I myself use EFT which helps take the edge of my panic attacks but doesnt cure them - we have to believe in ourselves - our body is an amazing pieceof machinery and it will work WITH us not against us if we let it. Wenjoy

Bill
07-03-09, 02:12
we have to believe in ourselves

That's all anxiety is really. Changing the way we think so that we have Faith and Belief in Ourselves. Sometimes though we need to feel trust in another to build belief in ourselves. that's why therapy doesn't always work because we need to feel we can trust our therapist whether we have to pay them or not.

I feel very fortunate like my friend, that we have learnt how to find enjoyment in life without having to pay anyone.:hugs: