PDA

View Full Version : hi need help

andrea_eyre
05-03-09, 00:17
my son has been on 20mg of citalopram for 6 weeks for really bad panic he was getting worse wakeing up thinking he was going to die and he would thik this all day long so he has to have larazapam 3 times a day to keep him calm then about 2 weeks a go he started to sleep much better at night but the panic was there all day so last week the doctor put him on 40mg a day of citalopram since then he is worse a lot worse he can not sleep he thinks he is going to die and holds hischest all the time has he thinks his heart is going to stop so what i would like to no is anyone on 40mg a day and do they feel worse all i want to no is will things settle down again or is this dose to strong or does he have to be on it a few weeks to work again if theres any one who could help me i would be so greatfull thankyou worried mom angexx:)

Veronica H
05-03-09, 08:07
:bighug1: Hi Andrea, this must be a very anxious time for you. First I think that after 6 weeks it may be worth returning to your GP to review these Meds. I take Citalopram in a small dose now which keeps me out of depression, but for the panic it was betablockers - propranalol which took the panic out of the attack by stopping my heart from racing. I also had Diazipam which basicallly just knocked me out and gave me a rest from the symptoms long enough to recharge my batteries.
Your Son's nerves have become sensitised. Fear of how he is feeling is keeping this cycle going and therefore not allowing his nerves to recover. He may be a sensitive person and a deep thinker (again something many of us have in common here). Thoughts become feelings with this illness.There is a brilliant book called 'self help for your nerves' by Dr claire Weekes available from the NMP shop and also free downloads to your MP3 of her work. I cannot recommend this enough as it really explains what is happening to us and how we can recover. I promise you that this will get better the more you understand it. It is extremely powerful and frightening though but remember the attacks cannot harm him, so remind him of this, it is just a chemical reaction in his body. Let us know how he gets on.

Veronica

kittykat
05-03-09, 15:30
Hi there and :welcome: to the site, a lot of good advice here, and a great chatroom as well, take care xx

sunshine-lady
05-03-09, 19:39
Hi and welcome to NMP

So pleased that you have found us. I am sure you will like it here as there is so much help, information and support. There is a chat room which is a great place to make new friends

Take care xxx

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/images/misc/progress.gif

weeble40
06-03-09, 08:51
Hi and a big welcome to NMP its great to have you here, hope to see you in chat sometime,

Take care

Emma xxx