PDA

View Full Version : Ive yet to know anyone who gets this symptom

mabelina
05-03-09, 11:00
I didnt really know what section to post this so sorry if ive chosen the wrong one:D
If ever i go out into the cold at night, my insides seem to seize up tight making it difficult for me to breath. I end up feeling stiff all over and doubled over trying to make it easy to breath. It then disappears immediately when i go back into the warmth. This never happens in the day though, no matter how cold it is. Its been happening for 9 years now so going out at night has become impossible for me.

Nechtan
05-03-09, 12:45
Hi mabelina,

When we suffer cold we automatically tense up. Its very hard not too. And when we tense up invariably this will constrict breathing. More so if we add more tension by being anxious. I hope this helps.

All the best

Nechtan

mabelina
05-03-09, 12:49
Hi Nechtan, yes that makes a lot of sence. Dont know why it doesnt happen in the day though:shrug:

lesleya
05-03-09, 14:30
I find it harder to breathe in the cold it hurts sometimes if its very cold like if theres snow on the ground, but i dont get the siezing up thogh but i know what you mean it can be scary. I think nechtans right we do tense up which makes it even harder.
Hope things inprove for you hun:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

STEPHYUNO
05-03-09, 14:42
Hi there, hope your feeling ok today, I think it could be that you have maybe got a chest or lung infection that hasn,t been dealt with, so getting a medical would be a good idea, it would help explain why it's harder to breathe when it's colder, another possibility is that withouit realising it, you may be more anxious at night for whatever reason and this increased anxiety may be causing your body to tighten and would also cause shortness of breath, you should remember that whatever is causing this can be dealt with and I hope it is soon, hugs Stephen x

lonely
05-03-09, 15:19
it sounds similiar to what i get, also when im on the time of month it feels worse is that odd, its like its hard to breath and feels cold inside hen i do breath in

mabelina
05-03-09, 15:28
I definitely dont have an infection. Its my stomach that tightens up and that then makes my chest tight. Strange:shrug: :D

Nechtan
05-03-09, 17:50
The next time this happens try to take a little time to see if you are tensing up. You may find that your shoulder and neck muscles are taut as you resist and recoil from the cold. I used to be aware of this alot and mentally try to loosen up my body which when successful freed up my breathing.

All the best

Nechtan

NoPoet
05-03-09, 18:01
Sounds like anxiety -- if you have a severe reaction to the cold and your teeth start to chatter, then yeah, it's probably nerves. Unless you aren't dressing warmly enough.