PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sick and no appetite

vernon
19-12-03, 00:02
Hi I am new to this site and have learned a lot from reading the comments, thanks. Anyway I have been suffering from anxiety and agro phobia for most of my life that I can remember. I have got over the phobia a lot now so it’s mainly the panic attacks and anxiety. Like some I used to take a drink at night so I could feel relaxed and get a good nights sleep, It worked but the Anxiety seemed worst the next day and in the end (after years of drinking) was just waiting all day so I could have a drink to relax, What a waste of life? So just over 4 weeks ago I stopped drinking completely and used horlicks in its place, to my amazement I did sleep good without the alcohol and felt less tired the next day. Any way I have stopped drinking now for over 4 weeks and seem to get tummy pains not bad but aware of them, and feeling sick and no appetite? I do eat but have to make myself as I have no appetite at all and feel more sick after eating and this feeling sick and no appetite has been constant for about 10 days now. Does anyone have the same or know if stopping the alcohol over 4 weeks ago has anything to do with it? I had been drinking for nearly 30 years but find it does not help in the end. Thanks cov49

benoo5
19-12-03, 00:27
hello cov,

ime going to have to keep this short,cos ime about to go to bed.

i think it depends on wot you drank,and how much!

30yrs is a long time..and you cant expect to stop,after all this time,without side effects.

i think the answer to losing your appetite,is to eat little,and often..if you go without food,that will automatically give you horrible symptoms...if we have a weak tummy,we have a weak body,and therefore an over active mind.

i would suggest you buy a vitamin B complex,from your pharmacy,and although i dont think fried food is particularly good for you,i would suggest throwing a few of your fav things in,as the smell can often get the taste buds working,just like a little miracle.

off to bed now,best wishes..bryan.

Lottie32
19-12-03, 09:03
Hi There

I have suffered from anxiety for over 20 years, and one of my physical symptoms is a lack of appetite, accompanied by almost constant nausea.

I think one of the reasons for this is that I abused my body when I was younger, and lived on two meals a day, and loads of coffee, chocolate and other "bad" things. Now I never "know" when I feel hungry, go past it, and then my stomach starts to protest.

I am starting to feel better now with the aid of this site, and somethings that I already knew. Try the following:

1. Drink plenty of water
2. Eat when you feel hungry, do not wait for "meal times".
3. Eat little and often
4. Motilium 10 (or any other anti-emetic is good for reducing nausea)
5. Try charcoal tablets (available at the health food shop, also good for nausea)
6. Herbal tea - particularly peppermint and ginger
7. Suck a mint sweet (be careful not to eat too many - you may force your sugar level up)
8. Do not eat a large meal late at night
9. Take regular exercise - coming out of the gym is the only time I really "fancy" something.
10. Eat plenty of fruit, vegetables, rice, pasta, fish and white meat. If you can bear it, eat wholemeal pasta and bread, and brown rice.
11. Avoid fried and fatty foods
12. Take vitamin B complex
13. Stop or cut down on smoking
14. Avoid acidic foods - pure orange juice can really set me off!
15. Snack on things like rice crackers, digestive biscuits, dried fruits and nuts
16. Make sure you always have a couple of "quick" meals options available. I find that if I spend ages cooking something, I've "gone off" it by the time it's ready. Pasta is always good, as is something like rice pudding.
17. Take time out to relax. Your digestive disturbances are almost undoubtably linked to your anxiety, so by addressing your anxiety, they will diminish.

There have been a couple of posts recently on nausea, just enter and click in the search box (top right)

I hope you find these suggestions useful. Bon apetite!

Charlie