PDA

View Full Version : fear of snakes

darkphantom
25-07-05, 23:58
Ive got a real bad fear of snakes, i was chased by a grass snake when i was 5yrs old, and have been scared all my life.
I cant even look at them in books, toy ones, in fact anything to do with them I dont even like the word.
Ive tried to look at them but cant, once steve and i went to the seaside and a guy had one round his neck steve touched it and i made him wash his hands incase it grew on me. then i cleaned a house which was full of them, i locked my self in my van and made the girls clean all the equiptment and van incase one got out and laid something.
dont know what to do to control this fear
any help would be welcome
oh yeah another thing i do is i have to wash my hair if i see one incase they get in my hair.
thankyou susie

vernon
26-07-05, 00:08
well susie think of it this way snakes are much cleaner than any fur animal.?

shybabyboo
26-07-05, 00:12
i dont like snakes that much either. although my biggest fear is of spiders. im the same when it comes to you not being able to look at one on tv or in a book. i always have to turn my head away and try to think of something else quickly to get the picture out of my mind. every night, i have to look all around my room to make sure there are no spiders in there. and since i live right next to some woods they do sometimes find there way in the house.

i have made a post about my fear of spiders and have been told that hypnotherapy would be very good at taking some of the fear away. i havent done it yet but i have heard many good things from other people.

im hopeful that you can get over this fear with some help and hope you the best. send me a PM if you'd like :-)

Jenn

sal
26-07-05, 00:51
Being chased by one at such an early stage i can totally see why it has left you being so scared.

I dont like them but have never confronted them.

I guess it is like any fear we have to face them. I know that wont be easy but i am sure there will be support out there to help you overcome this.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

leo05
26-07-05, 16:41
hey susie i will help you over come your fear of snakes ok i m sure we will work that one out [8D]

fluffyfred
28-07-05, 21:51
You don't have to read this if you don't want to Susie but thought I would share this with you.

I never saw a live snake until I was 20, I was always scared of meeting one because I was worried it would bite me and kill me.

When I was 20 though, I went on holiday with my family and they had a booth with a huge python. I was scared to touch it, but my hubby helped me. I realised this.

- they're not slimy like you think
- their skin actually feels very smooth

I'm not kidding, holding that python was one of the best experiences of my life, I've still got the photos of it.

I'm still not a huge fan of snakes but this python definately got me over being scared of them.

I hope that one day you'll manage to hold a snake, they're really not as bad as they're portrayed on TV and in the papers.

fluffyfred

nomorepanic
28-07-05, 22:48
Hypnotherapy or CBT is very effective at overcoming specific phobias - worth a try.

Nicola

"Nearly all happiness comes into our lives through doors we don't even remember leaving open"