PDA

View Full Version : introduction

jos
26-07-05, 00:05
hi there
i found your site by chance a few weeks ago and it has been more reassuring than any number of medical people and friends reassuring me that things would be ok and it was only anxiety and depression

I was off travelling in south america last year, getting the usual tummy bugs and then had problems at altitude 4000m (in La Paz, Bolivia) with shortness of breath and fatigue as well as salmonella. Over the next few weeks i was in the trauma unit 4 times with extreme shortness of breath and varying degrees of tingling in my hands, arms and face, near collapse, chest pains - each time diagnosed as poor acclimatisation to altitude and given duiretics and antihypertensives - in hindsight some level of acute anxiety (but not a regular panic attack) was probably involved.

Over the next month or so travelling i developed a lot of left arm, chest and gut symptoms that showed up no ongoing problems with regular gut and blood tests and anxiety was suggested but i felt mentally ok just run down - then things started to get weird and scary so i headed home from australia. Within days of landing in the depths of winter in the north of england i was dropping into an extreme anxiety downward spiral with an unhealty dose of depression thrown in.

I was all ready to hospitalise myself but a psycologist friend urged me not to but to hang on in there and try to get back to my flat that i had rented out and normalise my environment ASAP. I was looked after by family and friends for 5 weeks but I will tell the details of the long haul since my return to the uk in january another time -

i am nearly back to work full time after 4 months now with fantastic support from my bosses. It seems that i have had some sort of health anxiety, post illness depression and acute anxiety episodes similar to panic attacks and then tried desperately to regain my former life - while finding it very hard to accept that these could be "normal" psycological problems and there wasn't someting serious neurologically wrong (from the altitude problems) - or i wasn't developing a more serious mental illness such as manic depression or schizophrenia - all keeping the anxiety wound up tight

I am learning so much about myself and have found it very hard in an anxious and depressed state to find my way through the health system including privately, i hope i can share some useful experiences with others. I seems that if you are anywhere between just in need of some antidepressants or actively suicidal then the NHS is ill equipped to help - finding your way to the right help in this middle ground takes some research and this forum seems a great place to start

more another time - I really feel i have turned a corner and finding you has been part of it

thanks jos

sal
26-07-05, 00:07
Hi Jos

Welcome to the site and i am sure we can all help you. It is a great place and lots of people here are here to support you and we do understand how you feel, so you are not alone.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".

pinkscrumpy
26-07-05, 00:20
Hi Jos

A big warm welcome to you

[^][^][^]

MANDIE XX

Meg
26-07-05, 04:26
Hello Jos

Well done for all your efforts to get better. You've done a great job and are now on the final home strait.

You had an interesting choice of treatments in La Paz. When we were there one of us also was altitude sick but luckily as 3 of us were in healthcare none got their hands on her.

Meg
www.anxietymanagementltd.com

Your anxiety is the human representation of the pictures that you paint using your many vivid colours of revolving and reoccurring thoughts.
How big is your gallery ?

Karen
26-07-05, 05:12
Hi Jos

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have been doing well and are now well on your way to recovery.

Hope you find it helpful being here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

seh1980
26-07-05, 12:29
Welcome aboard!! :D

"Life is too important to take seriously" Corky Siegal

lainey
26-07-05, 12:42
Hi Jos

Welcome to the forum, you'll get loads of help and suppoer here.

Take care

Elaine x

Claireabell
27-07-05, 20:54
Welcome to this site Jos, you will find lots of help and advice here.

Please do not feel you are alone, we are all here to help each other.

Claireabell :)

sal
27-07-05, 21:34
Hi Jos

How are you doing, would be great to hear from you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".