PDA

View Full Version : i can rember my 1st panic attack like it just happend a minute ago. can everyone?

xboxer1994
08-03-09, 00:18
ive heard it only takes one panic attack to make you have them alot.
Does anyone else think this is true.

i hate panicking
08-03-09, 00:25
I'm not sure really but I know that after I had one I kept having more.

mickh555
08-03-09, 01:45
No.Having one doesn.t mean you will get another one.I know a few people that had one with no repeat.

Bill
08-03-09, 04:45
Yes, it's true because just one panic will cause worry which will create fear which will induce more worry and fear which will cause panic.

This is why it's so important not to dwell on a panic. Dwelling will make them more likely to happen.

Learn to treat them like a bad cold and they're less likely to return.

One thing to consider though is that I always believe a panic is a symptom of too much stress in our lives or even in just a single bad day. Think about taking some relaxation time and "switching off" to allow yourself time to re-charge and to stop overloading your mind with worries. It will help. NEVER dwell on memories of a panic. Accept and move on. Think of something to look forward to or something you enjoy.:hugs:

StephdeMeth
08-03-09, 07:47
I can remember my first panic attack like it was yesterday, I was in a rehearsal and I had to get out as fast as possible, I had to run and grab one of the other musicians to come out with me. The scariest thing I've ever experienced.
I'm not sure if it does mean that you're going to get loads, in my case it probably did because I did a lot of research once it had happened once and it made me paranoid...
I think it depends on who you are to be honest. If you dwell on it, it will probably continue.

xboxer1994
09-03-09, 00:02
Yes, it's true because just one panic will cause worry which will create fear which will induce more worry and fear which will cause panic.

This is why it's so important not to dwell on a panic. Dwelling will make them more likely to happen. :hugs:

that is exectly it and im not a doctor and im gonna guess your not a doctor.and thats what we know.i think people that have panic attacks know more then doctors.
about panic attacks

mickh555
09-03-09, 00:25
Dont like to dissagree.But saying that one attack leads to more will give people who have had one the idea that more will follow.Its not guaranteed.

i hate panicking
09-03-09, 00:27
well yeah that's true

purplehaze
09-03-09, 02:55
some people can have a panic or two and never have any more. The reason we may have more is because we dwell on them. If we think of it in a logical way and dont see focus on it, then chances are another panic attack will not follow

Bill
09-03-09, 03:17
Its not guaranteed.

That's right Mick. I agree:winks: but continually replaying the memory of a panic together with the situation in which it occurred will make the panic "more likely to happen" again because the memory has installed fear which "could" trigger panic again when faced with the same situation.

Think of it like spider phobia. You go about your daily business when suddenly you find a big spider in a cupboard which induces fear creating a panic attack.

You keep worrying about the panic and all the horrible feelings associated with it but added to that you then become afraid of opening another cupboard door because the situation (the cupboard) is then always associated with fear because of the panic felt when you came across a spider.

This means that every time you then encounter a cupboard door (which before you never had a problem with) your mind is always worrying and anticipating a spider hiding within it.

Your mind is then prepared to panic if a spider is found so that when you do find a spider again, you're "more likely" to panic again because of the worry associated with the memory of your first panic attack.

If on the other hand, we don't dwell on the panic, the cupboard door won't represent fear so that if we find a spider again, we're less likely to panic again because although the spider triggered a full panic, it could be that we were just having a stressful day and the spider was just the trigger associated to how we were feeling that day.

If we're having a stressful time, the stress can create a feeling of being trapped which when we're faced with a crowded situation could then trigger a panic.

We don't remember the stressful time we were having but instead remember the situation in which we suffered the panic. The same situation in itself is then more likely to trigger panic because of the fear we originally felt so if we don't dwell, we'll stop reminding ourselves of the panic and the situation so that we'll feel less afraid of going back.

Fear in itself is often enough to trigger panic whether it's a situation, just thoughts or the symptoms we're feeling once a panic starts.

Panics will only be "more likely" to keep happening if the underlying stress continues to exist, we keep worrying about where they happened or keep worrying about the feelings the panic induced.

Every day should be treated as a new day with the memory of a panic left in the past like a bad cold. Easier to say than do I know. :hugs:

xboxer1994
09-03-09, 03:31
Its not guaranteed.

That's right Mick. I agree:winks: but continually replaying the memory of a panic together with the situation in which it occurred will make the panic "more likely to happen" again because the memory has installed fear which "could" trigger panic again when faced with the same situation.

Think of it like spider phobia. You go about your daily business when suddenly you find a big spider in a cupboard which induces fear creating a panic attack.

You keep worrying about the panic and all the horrible feelings associated with it but added to that you then become afraid of opening another cupboard door because the situation (the cupboard) is then always associated with fear because of the panic felt when you came across a spider.

This means that every time you then encounter a cupboard door (which before you never had a problem with) your mind is always worrying and anticipating a spider hiding within it.

Your mind is then prepared to panic if a spider is found so that when you do find a spider again, you're "more likely" to panic again because of the worry associated with the memory of your first panic attack.

If on the other hand, we don't dwell on the panic, the cupboard door won't represent fear so that if we find a spider again, we're less likely to panic again because although the spider triggered a full panic, it could be that we were just having a stressful day and the spider was just the trigger associated to how we were feeling that day.

If we're having a stressful time, the stress can create a feeling of being trapped which when we're faced with a crowded situation could then trigger a panic.

We don't remember the stressful time we were having but instead remember the situation in which we suffered the panic. The same situation in itself is then more likely to trigger panic because of the fear we originally felt so if we don't dwell, we'll stop reminding ourselves of the panic and the situation so that we'll feel less afraid of going back.

Fear in itself is often enough to trigger panic whether it's a situation, just thoughts or the symptoms we're feeling once a panic starts.

Panics will only be "more likely" to keep happening if the underlying stress continues to exist, we keep worrying about where they happened or keep worrying about the feelings the panic induced.

Every day should be treated as a new day with the memory of a panic left in the past like a bad cold. Easier to say than do I know. :hugs:

i agree with you but i think some of us will say you cant forget about it.

sMINT
09-03-09, 13:58
I cant remember my first one only becuase I only recently discovered what they actually were.

It seems now that I have been diagnosed with them the amount hey occur has quadrupled :(

Veronica H
09-03-09, 20:03
:) I have to agree with Bill and Purple on this one. The first panic attack is devastating, but since we are generating the panic attacks ourselves it is important to replace negative memories with positive ones. It is possible to have one attack and not to have another though, i know someone like this, but she is a very positive person.

Veronica

xboxer1994
09-03-09, 22:55
sMINT im sorry to hear about that i had them for 3 years and just about 2 months ago i figured out they were panic attacks. then i got meds and that makes them better

tom1
10-03-09, 00:42
I can't actually remember the first panic attack I had, all I can remember is the day I learnt that what I've been suffering from all these years has been panic and anxiety.