PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone else not take meds?

samtheman
08-03-09, 16:12
They seem to be the standard thing with an anxiety disorder, I however have never taken them, I got through it without them and I did have a very rough ride there for a while. I suppose I have always been scared of them, the slightest mention of suicide is enough for me. When I went to my doctor with anxiety, she put me on Sertraline, I never took them, She said she would put me forward for CBT, that was 4 years ago, I'm still waiting, I suppose this proves one thing, Time is a healer.

lorac
08-03-09, 16:15
Hi

I am the same as you I have never taken meds and I have made progress without them. I think it is individual choice and some people find meds really help them but with me it wasn't the case.

I think you are right time is a healer and patience.

Carol

nomorepanic
08-03-09, 16:16
I haven't taken any for over 10 years now and had CBT instead.

Are you sure you are still on the waiting list? I would check as 4 years is a bit excessive!

Anna C
08-03-09, 16:23
Hi,

I have never took any medication, when I went to see my GP to ask about counselling I never asked for medication and he didn't offer me any. I have been taking 5htp for a while and that helps with my anxiety.

You say that time is a healer does that mean you are feeling better now without any help? If you are well done!

Although I think there are alot of people who wouldn't be able to do it alone including me, I'm getting there slowly with the help of CBT.

Anna

samtheman
08-03-09, 16:28
Hi,

I have never took any medication, when I went to see my GP to ask about counselling I never asked for medication and he didn't offer me any. I have been taking 5htp for a while and that helps with my anxiety.

You say that time is a healer does that mean you are feeling better now without any help? If you are well done!

Although I think there are alot of people who wouldn't be able to do it alone including me, I'm getting there slowly with the help of CBT.

Anna

Hey, I used various self help programmes and books. Attacking anxiety and depression was the one that done it for me.:)

i hate panicking
08-03-09, 18:42
Hi samtheman,

I have not took meds either for panic attacks:)

lesleya
08-03-09, 19:49
Hi samtheman.
I dont take any medication now, but i used to take valium and nardil but havent taken anything for a while now. I found counselling works best for me but i would like to try cbt to see if that could help me too. I was offered citalopram a few months ago but havent taken them due mainly to the awful side effects ive read about.
Take care
xxx

shoppinspree
08-03-09, 21:23
Hey,

yeah, i did take meds but it was really difficult to find one that worked without me taking like 3 pills of them a day. it ended up costing too much and my psych was against them so i stopped. the ones i took at least, didnt help. they kinda just make you feel numb to everything which is worse than the anxiety in the first place. at least i felt something then.

hope that helps. i do have to say that seeing a shrink is the best thing for it. i have gotten so much better and my reactions to things have become so much less extreme.

Wenjoy
09-03-09, 13:06
I was on Ativan 28 years ago for a year, then counselling then no anxiety until my menopause started a few years ago. Now I hve had CBT but it didnt help so I use kalms, 5htp at night and rescue remedy tho I still panic in some situations.Wenjoy x

Mudskipper
09-03-09, 15:20
Hi
I've been on prozac and, more recently, citalopram. I began a phased withdrawal a month or so back and so far I'm feeling pretty good without them, partly due to the lighter evenings perhaps and also to a few CBT exercises I've picked up over the years but never used before. However, if the blues kick in again, particularly in the autumn when the nights draw in again. I won't hesitate to go back on the pills if I need a boost.