PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety books

camomile
08-03-09, 22:45
Hi

Has anyone read either of these books for anxiety?

Healing without Freud or Prozac by David Schreiber or
Overcoming anxiety by Helen kennerley.

Your opinions greatly appreciated. - Or if anyone can recommend a good book for anxiety, would be very greatful.

Have already read 'self help for your nerves' by Clare weeks some time ago & was very helpful at the time. Have been advised to start reading again.

Thanks alot

Anna C
09-03-09, 18:34
Hi,

I have read Helen Kennerley - Overcoming Anxiety I got it from the library and liked it so much that I bought it.

I bought it from Amazon, I have the workbook version, it comes in 3 parts, its like 3 exercise books. You are asked questions all the way through the books and there are spaces for you to write in your answers, also big margins if you want to jot things down!

I'm working my way through the books, I like this book because it has a detailed self help section. It has chapters on dealing with negative thoughts, coping with exposure, relaxation exercises controlled breathing, distraction techniques and alot more. Its more or less the same as I have been told in CBT just hoping having this book will help in between CBT sessions.

Take Care Anna x

Mistral
10-03-09, 22:22
Hi camomile

It's not an anxiety book but I have found "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle really helpful. I have lived with anxiety for so long now, it has I am sure, just become a learned behaviour/habitual reaction. This book teaches you how to live in the "now" without regard to the past or future. The "now" for me is actually ok for most of the time, it is my fear of what might happen that is the problem.

I don't go anywhere without this book and a couple by Claire Weeks.

Happy reading
Mistral X

camomile
13-03-09, 09:39
Thank you both for your replies.

Anna, I started reading/using a book called 'Overcoming Low Self Esteem' using CBT techniques when I was having CBT - it was a good book to use along side the CBT, but alot of work involved. What you said about the Overcoming anxiety book, sounds like similar techniques are used. Good luck
with your CBT.

Thanks Mistral. I'll look that book up. Glad you're finding a way to 'cope' with the anxiety.
I intially read 'living life to the Full' followed by Claire Weeks & both really helped at the time.
Need something new to read and absorb & hopefully move forward.

Thanks again, flowerbudx

sunshine-lady
13-03-09, 15:24
I have found Susan Jeffers 'the little book of confidence' very handy. It is a very small book which only cost me about £2.50. I pop it in my bag and can pick it up at anytime.